Concrete Footer Demo

/ Concrete Footer Demo #1  

JM7500

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 4820R TLB
In the location where we will put our new house was an old double wide trailer. I got it removed and found a footer for a house that was one the site in the 1950s or 1960s. I have to remove it so the new footer can be poured. Any suggestions on the best way to remove a footer. It's 12"x24" in most areas. I have a small jack hammer that I've been using to break it up. It's back breaking and slow. I would prefer not to have to hire a skid steer or excavator with a hydraulic breaker, but would rather do it myself. It has a little #8 rebar, but it's on the bottom of the footer and some is below the footer and not in the concrete.

/ Concrete Footer Demo #2  
I’ve pulled them up with my 5 ton mini excavator without a breaker. I don’t see any practical way to do one without heavy equipment unless you like breaking your back for nothing.

/ Concrete Footer Demo #3  
Can you drop a heavy weight on it to break it up? When I had my barn demolished, they had a large wrecking ball they would drop all over the concrete floor and footers. Of course, they were using a 70,000 lb excavator to do the dropping and then scooped it up with a giant grapple.

/ Concrete Footer Demo #4  
Just keep beating on it, you'll get it removed. Good thing winter is coming, 12"x24" concrete with 1" rebar is a cool weather sport.

Or you could hire an excavator and be done with it in half a day.

/ Concrete Footer Demo #7  
   / Concrete Footer Demo
   / Concrete Footer Demo #9  
I agree this would be the best way to go combined with the BH. I would rent it if I had water at the site.
Your next post will be about a Branson busted in half.
Don't bother telling me your hoe has a subframe. That's not an all inclusive get out of jail free card.

/ Concrete Footer Demo
As much as I would like to cut the concrete apart, I don't have water available to cool the saw and cannot go this route. I understand the limitations of a tractor backhoe vs an excavator. My current plan is busting up the concrete into pieces that I can scoop out and pile up with the hoe. Most of the pieces are similar to 6"-8" rip rap. I'm not concerned about bending any of the frame, but more concerned about over stressing a hyd cylinder and bending it. With limitations I have between location, lack of utilities and not having unlimited funds, I work with what I have. Fortunately, I do have 2 months to remove the footer, which is plenty of time breaking it apart and piling it up.