Regret a cab tractor?

/ Regret a cab tractor? #161  
I had the salesman desperately wanting me to buy a cab, but then he was also convinced my husband might buy a tractor. End result, I'm fixing my old tractor, yet again.

I drove a neighbor's cab Kubota, and hated how stifling the inside is. Since you cannot really open the windows, there is NO WAY, I want to be stuck inside. But, I regret that I don't have a convertible car anymore. If I could have a cab for 2 months of cold a year, that'd be great, but I LOVE being outside...and being inside a cab isn't outside IMO.

I have 15 acres, not 150 or 1500, and there isn't anything I'll be doing that doesn't allow me to go inside to warm up...or I guess cool off, did I mention I like summer?
I feel the same way, but do enjoy a canopy on my tractor. I’m considering a soft cab that slips over the canopy for winter snow plowing.

/ Regret a cab tractor? #162  
I feel the same way, but do enjoy a canopy on my tractor. I’m considering a soft cab that slips over the canopy for winter snow plowing.
With the 4 post canopy, a solft cab could even be easier. I've been wondering about a fixed wind screen - maybe one that folds forward in the summer like on some old convertibles cars.

Windows that don't open? Is that an option? On industrial machines like our JD310 yellow backhoe, all the side and rear windows open and fold out of the way. Same for the doors & their windows. Being an open station/canopy guy, I haven't looked to see if that's available on other tractors.

I guess I just assumed all windows open. Cars have had roll down windows for a long time. The technology is pretty well worked out..... :)
rScotty

/ Regret a cab tractor? #163  
I live in NE WA state. Our summers are hot and DRY. I've never had a cabbed tractor. First a 1982 - brand new - Ford 1700 - - then in 2009, I upgraded to a brand new Kubota M6040. I, also, do not use a rotary cutter of any type. No need, nothing to cut here on my 80 acres.

I've helped my neighbor to the south with his big cabbed tractors. Mainly till his enormous wheat fields. The cabs are nice when you have a following breeze or must till thru your own "dust storm". Otherwise - I'm glad I choose open station.

I was never able to get the AC properly adjusted on his big tractors. Feet and knees were always cold - head, shoulders & back were roasting. If the tractors were mine - probably some type of window shades to cut the sunshine. All that glass really tends to amplify the sun and heat. But, that's JMHO.

/ Regret a cab tractor? #164  
I farmed small farm for several years. Tractors were open station. All I knew till I was in my 60's and bought my first. If using in the woods be very careful. Yes an open station is easier to get on and off normally. But the temp comfort is not the biggest reason I would recommend a cab tractor but safety. Wasp, bees, snakes, and so forth. But the most dangerous is chemicals you are spraying. No drifting back on you or busted hose spraying you and while not a poison would have been soaked with liquid nitrogen when the pressure hose on sprayer pump blew off. Noise level of equipment is lower so easier on your hearing. I am on my second cab and on either of them can use cell phone while the tractor is working hard.

One big plus if it applies to you with the cab: when my grands were small they could ride safely in the cab but not the open station and now my dog will ride in the cab laying at my feet but even he knows the open station tractor is not safe. lol

/ Regret a cab tractor? #165  
Yes I get it. A city raised gentlemen bought the farm next to me. He bought a brand new JD cab tractor and a 20 foot batwing. Every pretty day he was out mowing that farm. The noise was unbelievable. But he didn't hear it, 'cause he was in that cab listening to the stereo and letting the air conditioning blow cool. The John Deere dealer that sold him the equipment was a good friend of mine. I said , Paul, need to tell him to listen for the noise he's making, while he's destroying his equipment mowing off stumps and fenceposts and rocks and all kinds of bad things. My pal Paul, just said, please don't tell him anything. I am selling him parts and parts and parts and sending a repairman out day after day after day to fix what he can't hear and he won't slowdown.

/ Regret a cab tractor? #166  
Yes I get it. A city raised gentlemen bought the farm next to me. He bought a brand new JD cab tractor and a 20 foot batwing. Every pretty day he was out mowing that farm. The noise was unbelievable. But he didn't hear it, 'cause he was in that cab listening to the stereo and letting the air conditioning blow cool. The John Deere dealer that sold him the equipment was a good friend of mine. I said , Paul, need to tell him to listen for the noise he's making, while he's destroying his equipment mowing off stumps and fenceposts and rocks and all kinds of bad things. My pal Paul, just said, please don't tell him anything. I am selling him parts and parts and parts and sending a repairman out day after day after day to fix what he can't hear and he won't slowdown.
You might want to approach the guy and advise him of what havoc he's doing to his equipment...

But, if he ignores you and if the guy is that much of a fool, let him destroy his equipment. Hard lesson, I know...but that's what it takes sometimes

/ Regret a cab tractor? #167  
Sorry, but you seemed to have missed my point. Farming with equipment involves hearing and feeling the performance of the equipment; how a plow turns, how a baler cycle sounds, how a mower drags down RPM's in heavy spots. If the driver is so isolated in the cab, by the blearr of the stereo and the whrrrr of the A/C, that he is immune to the sounds of the equipment, he deserves the cost of the repairs.

/ Regret a cab tractor? #168  
Sorry, but you seemed to have missed my point. Farming with equipment involves hearing and feeling the performance of the equipment; how a plow turns, how a baler cycle sounds, how a mower drags down RPM's in heavy spots. If the driver is so isolated in the cab, by the blearr of the stereo and the whrrrr of the A/C, that he is immune to the sounds of the equipment, he deserves the cost of the repairs.
90% of the farmers in the US are laughing hysterically.

/ Regret a cab tractor? #169  
When I was a kid on the farm I was given a new tractor that had a cab and radio. It was a International 5488. I was running a large land plane leveling a new field. I had it fairly level and was just working out a small mound where we had buried some stumps.

I set the land plane up and was just a cruising with the radio blaring. All of a sudden I felt the tractor load up. Without batting an eye I engaged the differential lock and poof she sat down. In a split second I managed to stick a 205HP tractor with duals in dry dirt.

I could spin the tires with my hand no problem. I started trying to fill the holes in by hand and then I heard my Dad coming. He was HOT. He said I know what you were doing! you were listening to that radio instead of paying attention. He then climbed up on the tractor and broke my antenna off and wore my back side out!

It took 2 tractors chained together to get me out. I learned that day no matter what I was doing to pay attention! :ROFLMAO:

/ Regret a cab tractor? #170  
Every real piece of farm equipment is cabbed with heat, ac,and radio. Some gave a small frige.