Engine Oil in UDT

/ Engine Oil in UDT #1  

shea1004

Tractor
Kubota MX5400DT
I changed the hydrolic filter on my MX5400 and was attempting to replace lost fluid. Instead of grabbing the UDT2 I pick up a jug of new Kubota engine oil and dumped in a 1/4 to 1/2 quart before I realized my mistake. Should I drain the hydrolic fluid and replace with fresh or will the small amount of contamination be fine? Thanks in advance for any advice.

/ Engine Oil in UDT #2  
I wouldn't worry about it. Less than a quart won't make a different when mixed in with 11+ gallons already in the transmission housing.

Last edited:
   / Engine Oil in UDT #4  
I agree, no problem at all. Engine oil, in a pinch, can be used in almost anything that requires any type of oil.

/ Engine Oil in UDT #5  
In fact, in John Deere commercial (yellow) machines they now allow a choice of either using Hy-Gard trans/hydraulic oil, or their Plus-50 engine oil. It's up to the customer.

Plus, if you ever rent an implement you have no idea what oil remains in it - but it is more than a quart for sure. So Trans/hydraulic oil needs to be cross compatible with just about everything.
rScotty

/ Engine Oil in UDT #7  
I'd change it. But I wouldn't be able to sleep thinking about it and if anything did ever happen that would be to blame

/ Engine Oil in UDT #8  
It was clean oil, I wouldn't worry about it. I would worry about hooking up a rental implements hydraulics to my machine. Could have been on a machine with contaminated oil in it.

If it was a gallon or more of engine oil I might start thinking about draining it. But not at 1/2 a quart. As others have said oil is pretty similar generally & engine oils is speed for some hydraulic systems.