Where are all my birds?

/ Where are all my birds? #31  
The birds I am concerned about are the owls and other raptors. The drought last summer was really hard on the rodent population. They survive by licking dew during periods of no rain, and there were weeks that were so dry there was no dew. They died of thirst. There are hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of acres with no field mice, voles, or other small animals. I think it will be a hard winter for owls. Even now, of the three owl territories on my property, apparently only one is occupied now.
Here on Whidbey Island we had this year a bumper crop of owls. We have a pair of Great Horned Owls that hang out here year after year. They added at least one owl this year. We also have Barred Owls and this year they had twins. And we got to watch them grow up. They would often hang out with the adults close to our house. Like 30 feet away. The babies grew up fast! It was not long before they were almost as tall as the adults. Clumsy though. Flying and hunting. My wife and I really got a front row view to their activities. Taking pictures of one of the Barred Owl adults one day I was able to approach to within about 10 feet. I dunno if I could have gotten closer, I didn't want to spook it. I'll attach a pic.
Eric P_20210501_182835.jpg

/ Where are all my birds?
I've been seeing a little more activity including Woodpeckers and Blue Jays. But I'm not sure I'm going to be able to afford 200 pounds or more of birdseed this winter. I was paying under $10 for 40 pounders that are now $15 or more. I went through 6 or 8 of those one winter a few years back, plus 20 or 30 suet cakes.

/ Where are all my birds? #33  
It seems like I'm seeing less song birds and more bald eagles around here.

/ Where are all my birds? #34  
Let me guess: You're east of the Rockies? Probably east of The Big Muddy.

Unfortunately, owls are territorial and not migratory. Hawks move around more. I had a sharp shinned hawk move through last spring that only stuck around for a couple of days on its way north.

View attachment 721401
Sharp shinned hawks are one of the birds that hunt the other birtds I value. I know, big circle of life and stuff, but I hate seeing the sharp shinned hawk hunting the birds I like. Unfortunately these hawks are quite nimble at chasing birds in the branches of trees.

/ Where are all my birds? #35  
I belong to a bluebird preservation group, have several nesting boxes installed in the fields and vineyard, also a several swallow boxes close to the barn area, the two don’t get along well and have to be separated.

We lost all of the bluebird chicks during the summer heat wave, which hit 114 degrees here, it made me kind of sick to see.
All of the swallows and hummingbirds made it though
Putting plenty of seed out this winter, to help them get through the cold weather.

Wish we had some of those cardinals around here, they are beautiful.
I've seen a poor solitary bluebird on top of the nesting box in my field stand on top and try to keep four swallows at bay. The bluebirds also supposedly don't get along with sparrows which also lodge closer to the house/barn.

/ Where are all my birds? #36  
No shortage of birds here in Western Central Oregon: Hawks, Chickadees, Sparrows, Owls, Blue Jays, Robins, Wood Peckers, Hummingbirds, the occasional Eagle or Osprey, Starlings and a huge rafter of Wild Turkeys. We also have a kettle of about seven Turkey Vultures that return every Spring and leave at the start of Fall. Edit: Just went out for a morning smoke, and the birds saw me..... they have just now started to gather around the feeder in expectation that I'll refill it. :)
turkeys.jpg

Last edited:
   / Where are all my birds? #37  
In north east Pennsylvania we were asked to pull in our bird feeders this summer because of something killing off birds that was transmitted from feeder to feeder. We just put ours out for the winter. A few cardinals that’s it. Chickers are gone. We usually have hundreds.

/ Where are all my birds? #38  
dadiehl, got some of that info also about feeders transmitting something in my area. So the bird feeders got cleaned and a bleach bath for a few days.
They are dried out, and are now back in action.
I don't doubt the concern is real.
Yet, if we are feeding these things, we do need to be responsible. :)

/ Where are all my birds? #39  
dadiehl, got some of that info also about feeders transmitting something in my area. So the bird feeders got cleaned and a bleach bath for a few days.
They are dried out, and are now back in action.
I don't doubt the concern is real.
Yet, if we are feeding these things, we do need to be responsible. :)
Seed and suet feeders should be cleaned at least once every two weeks by scrubbing feeders with soap and water, followed by a short soak in a 10% bleach solution to keep birds healthy and limit the spread of disease.

Songbird Deaths