IBC Totes

/ IBC Totes #81  
I was given the tote in those watering photos. It had initially arrived containing fertilizer but wasn't returnable. But it had sat out in the sun for a few years and my elbow went through the top the second year I had it.

I got a fresh liner from a nearby brewery. The brewery received wet mash in them but their supplier only wanted the structure returned, not the liner. They offered their liners on CL for $25.
Are you saying the sun will rot the liners? I have a used one I bought 3 years ago. Been in the sun since I bought them, and expect the prior owner left it in the sun also. So I have no idea how old it is. Just wondering. Jon

/ IBC Totes #82  
Are you saying the sun will rot the liners? I have a used one I bought 3 years ago. Been in the sun since I bought them, and expect the prior owner left it in the sun also. So I have no idea how old it is. Just wondering. Jon
My original liner could easily have been over a decade old. The wood pallet base is old and cracked. I cover the new liner with a silver tarp after watering season is over, when it won't be used for several months.

And I put weight on the top exceeding what a firewood cover would get. I have to lean over the top, to remove the watering pump (boat bilge pump) that's down inside it. You likely have several years left.

/ IBC Totes #84  
Yes, all plastics will dry out and become brittle over time, auto parts, buckets, ect
UV (ultraviolet) rays from the sun are typically the worst enemy for plastic assuming they are not UV protected/rated.