Exploding tractor battery!

/ Exploding tractor battery! #1  

Smt

Well that was bloody scary.

I charged the (not entirely flat) battery on my Fordson Super Major overnight and came to start it this morning. Big spark, huge bang, smell of battery acid and battery fluid dripping all over the barn floor.
Everything had been done properly. Correct polarity. It just seemed to happen out of the blue.

Any idea how best to clean the battery acid off the tractor and floor? Hose pipe?

What is is likely to have been destroyed? Alternator? Anything else?

Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• battery-sml.jpg
    battery-sml.jpg
    816.7 KB · Views: 819
   / Exploding tractor battery! #2  
Some type spark(internal in battery or external cable connection) set off the acid gas created while charging battery. Apply baking soda to neutralize the acid then wash affected area. Yrs back I had battery explode on IHC 300 while I set on tractor with my knees straddling battery. Now that will get a fellows attention!

Last edited:
   / Exploding tractor battery! #3  
I would start with the battery and go from there. Likely nothing else is damaged. Did it blow when you were disconnecting the charger or when you turned the key?

Looks like the battery is in a somewhat inclosed space. The gases off of the battery likely got trapped and the spark caused the explosion. I have a few pieces of plastic in my hand and lip from a battery that exploded. Mine was in a 53 Ford truck. The battery was located in the passenger floor board. I was jumping it off and let the cables spark.

/ Exploding tractor battery! #4  
Baking soda will neutralize the acid. I’d sprinkle baking soda on any spots you see acid, and then spray a mix of baking soda and water on it, and sop it up with kitty litter. Wear your oldest most sacrificial clothes, they might get ruined.

/ Exploding tractor battery!
Thanks for the help

It exploded as I fired up the starter motor. I had charged it overnight with the bonnet open but very luckily had closed it when I fired up the tractor, otherwise I'd have battery acid and plastic embedded in my face.

I'll go get some baking soda. I'll need a lot. There's acid all over the place.

/ Exploding tractor battery! #6  
Some type spark(internal in battery or external cable connection) set off the acid gas created while charging battery. Apply baking soda to neutralize the acid then wash affected area. Yrs back I had battery explode on IHC 300 while I set on tractor with my knees straddling battery. Now that will get a fellows attention!
300U? I was always skeptical of the batter location on those tractors.

/ Exploding tractor battery! #7  
As others have said, baking soda / water mix. Try 1/2 to 1 cup per gallon well mixed. Hose the whole area off once you note that the reaction has stopped.
As far as cause, that explosion began internal to the battery. Likely due to a low electrolyte level while charging, then an internal Arc while starting. The plates should ALWAYS be covered in electrolyte.
JMHO

/ Exploding tractor battery! #8  
Had the same thing happen to me in a car, back in the late '70's. Scared the crap out of me. Turned the key to start it, and "BANG!". Just turned the key to start it when the battery blew up. Blew the whole top off the battery. One of the vented top style, an old Montgomery Wards battery (they used to have a "lifetime warranty"). They were still around then, so they did replace it.

Yeah, battery acid all over the inside of the engine compartment, and the under side of the hood. Put in new battery, and everything else worked as normal again.

/ Exploding tractor battery! #9  
Well that was bloody scary.

I charged the (not entirely flat) battery on my Fordson Super Major overnight and came to start it this morning. Big spark, huge bang, smell of battery acid and battery fluid dripping all over the barn floor.
Everything had been done properly. Correct polarity. It just seemed to happen out of the blue.

Any idea how best to clean the battery acid off the tractor and floor? Hose pipe?

What is is likely to have been destroyed? Alternator? Anything else?

Thanks for any advice
Hey, I have a Power Major, 1958 model. Vacuum governor. It sat for a long time and I think it is stuck in high range, I know it is. I will split it and check things out. Sounds like a good winter project. Might even put a newer diesel in it. Well built tractor.

/ Exploding tractor battery! #10  
Sorry for the mishap. That of course, can and usually be very damaging to both yourself and your tractor.

I also had a similar mishap with my 1969 Dodge some years ago. Turning over the motor by shorting out the starter solenoid under the hood, my 'Lifetime Guarantee" Die-Hard battery blew into a thousand pieces, spraying battery acid all over my self and my treasured car. A quick rinse with baking soda and water mix, I avoided 'most' damages to myself and car.

I collected the pieces of the battery and put them in a bucket. When I carried the ruminants to Sears for a replacement the idiot at the Service Center declared "We'll have to run a check on your battery to be sure it's no good before we can give you a replacement." Ordinarily that would have been funny, but after my near injury experience, I didn't find that funny at all.