Common rail vs mechanical injection

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #11  
^^^^
Sorry you are mistaken
Turbo rebuild is 500+ plus all of the piping, so around 1k.

Turbos are killed faster when shutdown hot. Idle for half an hour so they cool down kills any savings.

Average turbo life is measured in 100s of hours before the bearings wear out.

Will never buy a turbo diesel again.

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #12  
Dang!!!
Must be all the turbos on the farm are shot to heck, most of those turbo'ed diesels
have well over 6000 hours on them a few over 10,000 hours, they are getting a bit tired.
We idle down for the last few minutes and don't work them hard before shutting down,
but they sure as heck don't idle for half an hour.
My little V6 diesel RAM had 98,000 miles and several thousand hours on it when I traded her in
and it had no issues to speak of.

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #13  
Dang!!!
Must be all the turbos on the farm are shot to heck, most of those turbo'ed diesels
have well over 6000 hours on them a few over 10,000 hours, they are getting a bit tired.
We idle down for the last few minutes and don't work them hard before shutting down,
but they sure as heck don't idle for half an hour.
My little V6 diesel RAM had 98,000 miles and several thousand hours on it when I traded her in
and it had no issues to speak of.
Then you are lucky, after the third one I sent it to the scrap yard.

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #14  
^^^^
Sorry you are mistaken
^^agree. It took diesel a bit longer to get "high-tech" but especially with pick-ups, they are much more efficient than a dozen years ago. Higher compression, higher boost, higher pump pressures, precision injectors, computer controlled, variable cam timing......the list goes on.

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #15  

Turbos are killed faster when shutdown hot. Idle for half an hour so they cool down kills any savings.

That's absurd. Top to bottom. Idle for a half hour? 27 minutes wasted.

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #16  
That's absurd. Top to bottom. Idle for a half hour? 27 minutes wasted.
That's what was recommended after the first one went. Couldn't give it away after the second one went, dealers wanted too much to repair it.

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #17  

Will never buy a turbo diesel again.
My '91 JD 4255 with 11,500+ hrs on speed/hour meter has original turbocharger that was on it when it rolled off assembly line at Waterloo,Ia. My '11 Kubota M7040 with 1800+ hrs on speed/hour meter has original turbocharger also.

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #19  
2011 Dodge Ram 3500
225,000mi
5,250hrs

Stock VGT turbo, happy as can be.

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #20  
TuRbO dIeSeLs BaD...that's a new one.

Turbos make diesels much more efficient. Let them cool for a minute or 2 after WOT and then shut it down. Or don't. The oil coking in the bearings is a myth founded in a one-off extreme case...99% of people couldn't replicate that scenario if they tried.