The gated community issue.

/ The gated community issue. #61  
We have had our offer accepted on a nice home on 8 acres in a gated community not far from where we live. Only 20 homeowners, each with 8 to 10 acres with the homes; very private, two large lakes on lots of community owned ground. We probably will also buy the 8 acres adjacent. All MD's, Dentists, and Lawyers; I figure I'll be real popular as the only carpenter living there. I'm worn out from taking care of 95 acres here and 55 acres at the farm; it's been real fun, but time to smell the roses a bit.

Last edited:
   / The gated community issue. #62  
I have two friends that both had/have dogs. They live out in the country, and both warned me that when I drove up, don't open the car door. Wait for them to come and get the dogs, because the dogs don't like strangers. In both cases, I drove up, the dogs came running up barking and snarling, I opened the door and asked them if they wanted to go for a ride. They hopped right in and I drove off with their dogs. Drove them around the block (in their cases, that's about a 4 mile drive, each). I came back and let the dogs out and the owners looked so dejected. One of them suggested that now he'd have to shoot me.

I think of dogs more like driveway alarms and that's about it.

Dogs like trucks.

LOL - that’s exactly what my dog would do!

/ The gated community issue. #63  
We have had our offer accepted on a nice home on 8 acres in a gated community not far from where we live. Only 20 homeowners, each with 8 to 10 acres with the homes; very private, two large lakes on lots of community owned ground. We probably will also buy the 8 acres adjacent. All MD's, Dentists, and Lawyers; I figure I'll be real popular as the only carpenter living there. I'm worn out from taking care of 95 acres here and 55 acres at the farm; it's been real fun, but time to smell the roses a bit.
Stepp are you keeping any of your land?

/ The gated community issue. #66  
How about your orange fleet?
Don't say your going all the way to ''the other side"😆.
Either way, like you said smell the roses. 👍
Already sold my MX 5100, zero turn, and my mini ex. The L3301 is for sale. I'm keeping the MX 5400 with all attachments and my rtv. My son and I will share them.

/ The gated community issue.
Well, I have to ask, why this turned into a "Shoot all the Trespassers," theme.
I was asking a more nuanced question: Do gates work for non-Home owner Covenant and Condition Communities. And then the anwser is, We All Have Guns? Thats not an answer.

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: jmc
   / The gated community issue. #68  
For some traffic and rif raf, sure. Gates are just like locks, they'll keep the honest out and those that want in, will get in.

/ The gated community issue.
Psychologically, wouldn't any sort of gate work. Even if its just a little lift gate that let every one in and everyone out. Wouldn't that be enough to deter the causal Tweeker from looking around?

/ The gated community issue. #70  
Psychologically, wouldn't any sort of gate work. Even if its just a little lift gate that let every one in and everyone out. Wouldn't that be enough to deter the causal Tweeker from looking around?
Tweekers don't process information the way you and I do. So.... NO.