The gated community issue.

/ The gated community issue. #71  
Do gates work for non-Home owner Covenant and Condition Communities. And then the anwser is, We All Have Guns? Thats not an answer.
Tis to an answer,more than one answer. "Mess with My gate and I'll drill ya." "I like having people wander onto my property so that I can confront them to strut, preen and wave my gun". "All the ne"er do wells live in y'all's states,we-uns out here in wild west have high ethics". "Pips round here are so afraid of me they wouldn't dare tresspass on me GOL (guffaw out loud)". And the best of the bunch. "My boys are so hard they rattle and so large I tote them in a gym bag. Aah own an ol revolver with a bore so large my pet owl live's in the empty chamber where hammer rest's. Ah ain't scheared to walk right up on scum below my ranking cause don't you know drug dealers don't carry guns and shoot people,no way men with confused sexual identitys own and know how to use guns. Wawll maybe they could have a itsy bitsy little 357 or 9mm but that's nothing compared to this here ol 40 cal cannon aah got." I don't know about would be tresspassers but I'm shaking in my boots just reading how bad a** they are.

/ The gated community issue. #72  
Tis to an answer,more than one answer. "Mess with My gate and I'll drill ya." "I like having people wander onto my property so that I can confront them to strut, preen and wave my gun". "All the ne"er do wells live in y'all's states,we-uns out here in wild west have high ethics". "Pips round here are so afraid of me they wouldn't dare tresspass on me GOL (guffaw out loud)". And the best of the bunch. "My boys are so hard they rattle and so large I tote them in a gym bag. Aah own an ol revolver with a bore so large my pet owl live's in the empty chamber where hammer rest's. Ah ain't scheared to walk right up on scum below my ranking cause don't you know drug dealers don't carry guns and shoot people,no way men with confused sexual identitys own and know how to use guns. Wawll maybe they could have a itsy bitsy little 357 or 9mm but that's nothing compared to this here ol 40 cal cannon aah got." I don't know about would be tresspassers but I'm shaking in my boots just reading how bad a** they are.
Imagine thinking a .40cal is a 'cannon'... Tell me were the bad scary pistol hurt you, little boy.

/ The gated community issue. #73  
I have gates across my driveway. But they are not locked - they are to keep out stray livestock. Nevada is an "Open Range" state - which means if you don't want livestock on your property then it is YOUR responsibility to fence the livestock out.

Closed gate also means uninvited people are trespassing or breaking in so to speak. Helps in court if needed.

/ The gated community issue.
I guess we shoot them all? LOL. Gosh, you guys live in a weird, paranoid
world.

/ The gated community issue. #75  
I'm worn out from taking care of 95 acres here and 55 acres at the farm; it's been real fun, but time to smell the roses a bit.
Congratulations on this step in your life. I hope it works out even better than expected!!

/ The gated community issue. #77  
Good for you! I am sure that it isn't easy. Remember your signature quote.

All the best,

Peter

/ The gated community issue. #78  
Closed gate also means uninvited people are trespassing or breaking in so to speak. Helps in court if needed.

Unless it’s rioters, but they are a special case if they riot. Oh, never mind.

/ The gated community issue. #79  
I’ve been looking for retirement land, and anything with a HOA is out, so if it’s gated, it’s just me.

/ The gated community issue. #80  
Nah.. Not in this state. Trespassing with intent is taken seriously here. I have absolutely *no clue* what your intentions are parking in a darkened car in my darkened driveway at 2am, but I am damn sure not gonna just sit there and let you do whatever you think you can do on my property without discourse. Are you there waiting for others to finish robbing me/break into my house, or just doing some drugs or getting a bl**job? Don't know. Don't care. You will be meet and challanged as to your intentions and then told to leave. Don't like it, park and/or try to steal from somewhere else.. Guarantee that property owner will do the same.
MMmmmm.... that depends on how big your property is and where the car is parked. The Castle Doctrine in Indiana generally applies only to the houes itsself and curtilage. You can use force outside of that area only if you are preventing seriously bodily injury to yourself or others. See Indiana Code 35-41-3-2.

Curtilage would generally be the area immediately surrounding the house. For example we own 18 acres. We do not have Castle defense over that entire 18 acres.

If someone pulled in my drive for example they are immediately within the curtilage. The houes is near the road and near the drive.

Some of these other folks have talked about having a 1/2 mile drive. A person who pulled in at the top of that drive is likely not within the curtilage.

So under Indiana law you would have a duty to retreat unless you are preventing serious bodily injury to yourself or others.

I do not think that seeing someone pull in the drive constitutes a threat of serious bodily injury without more.