Huge oak fell!

/ Huge oak fell! #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I need some more work to do. I looked out and this HUGE oak had fallen in the pasture. I bet it's 150 years old. I wanted wife raise be in tractor bucket but said "we'll both die" and went in house.
So I cut what I could, rolled over with tractor, cut so now all limbs off. I think I'll put a free oak firewood sign out on the road.
I bet it's 5ft across at base at least.
20211127_143920.jpg
20211127_143932.jpg
20211127_144102.jpg
20211026_180433.jpg

/ Huge oak fell! #2  
Kind of like the ads on Craigslist. Free firewood, you just have to cut the tree down, which happens to be hanging over their house. Sounds like a good reason to get a chainsaw with a 48” bar.

/ Huge oak fell! #3  
My wife wanted me to hang a tire swing from a branch of a very large oak tree. I told her I wouldn't do that. I don't trust the integrity of oak trees - even very large ones. We have had oak trees and large branches just come down - looked totally healthy until they fall and you can see inside. Really interesting to hear the crash when a big one falls. Once I was taking an oak tree down with a chain saw at the base so I could widen a road. About a quarter of the way into the cut water began to gush out - shot about 3 feet out of the cut. It was almost black and for a moment I thought I blew the chain saw motor and it was oil. It kept spraying for 2-3 minutes. Once the tree was down I discovered it was hollow from the base and up at least 20 feet. Again - it looked totally healthy but was hollow and rotten inside.

There are many varieties of oak trees in California - I don't know if they all present the same risk.

Last edited:
   / Huge oak fell! #4  
Echo chainsaws sponsors a group of carvers that travel all over the country to different festivals. They love them big trees see video

/ Huge oak fell! #5  
U definitely should not need to be raised up in anyrhing to cut that up. That looks like standard fare around here. Just a fun afternoon with Mr. Husky....

/ Huge oak fell! #6  
No problem to cut a tree like that up from the ground...roll around with tractor.

Just pay attention to which way limbs are "loaded". Wood acts like a big spring. A second saw is handy incase you misjudge and pinch the bar.

Free wood would be gobbled up around here....but lots still burn wood. Don't know if you are in an area that people burn in the winter or not

/ Huge oak fell!
No problem to cut a tree like that up from the ground...roll around with tractor.

Just pay attention to which way limbs are "loaded". Wood acts like a big spring. A second saw is handy incase you misjudge and pinch the bar.

Free wood would be gobbled up around here....but lots still burn wood. Don't know if you are in an area that people burn in the winter or not
Yes they burn. Oak is about the best.
I did roll & cut it, so it's easy now. I have a grapple too. I hate to see it go to waste, at least 2 cords wood I bet.

/ Huge oak fell! #8  
I was given an oak that size a couple weeks ago. It was in a family friend's yard and fell over onto their neighbor's house. Insurance paid for it to be removed from the neighbor's house and left in the yard of the tree's owner. Owner paid tree company to chip the branches and debris, but they wanted another $600 to haul off the trunk and large branches (which they're gonna sell for firewood). So, they offered it to me. I have an 18' car hauler, and hand loaded two full loads. Then went back with my PT425 and forks and loaded 3 more loads. It'll probably be close to 4.5 cords once it's split.

C97C785E-9793-4C25-8640-8DB5874E6590.jpeg

/ Huge oak fell!
Kind of like the ads on Craigslist. Free firewood, you just have to cut the tree down, which happens to be hanging over their house. Sounds like a good reason to get a chainsaw with a 48” bar.
I'll tell my wife tonight I need a Sthil MS881

/ Huge oak fell! #10  
I had to take down about 5 or 6 that big on a job a while back. Not fun. I also got to demo and burn a house. That was fun. I had an 80 trackhoe, my 40 trackhoe, and my skid steer on the job. We got all trees down and the brush burned in one day. The main trucks and stumps are still there. Unfortunate they have metal in them so their value is about zero.
IMG_0188.JPG
IMG_0260.JPG
IMG_0266.JPG