Septic issue

/ Septic issue #21  
You also know a bit more about how to do another one.
I started doing my own but quickly decided I wanted it done by a pro. It cost me around $1000 more than if I’d done it myself.
I spent 5 grand on a Case 580 CK backhoe, about 3500 on supplies and engineering and gas. The lowest bid I got at the time was 12 grand. So I did OK. Plus I learned how to run a backhoe, how to dig infiltrator ditches, and I still have the backhoe. And I really know how my septic operates. The county health department brought employees out to show how not to dig septic ditches when I first started and by the end brought out employees to see how a proper system should look. I learned a lot about digging flat and level ditches.
Eric

/ Septic issue #22  
One hundred times this. I give professional advice for a living. I ask clients this from time to time. If you don't trust me why are you here? Go find someone whose advice you will trust and take. Rarely have a client leave after we have that discussion and figure out where the miscommunication was.

If you have talked to your septic guy and he has explained everything to you, and you do not trust his advice.... get a second opinion from a professional, not a bunch of guys that own tractors.

There’s a few of us here that actually do know a thing or 2 about septics but without having the specs from the original install or without seeing the site or even pictures there’s not a lot to be said.

/ Septic issue #23  
My 25 year old DIY septic system is still performing just fine in my former house.
The present system that was hired out does cause me problems, some of which I was able to correct.

Most amazing is how the costs have escalated from what used to cost $3-4K is now in the $35K + range.
Bio-flo, Bionest, Ekoflo etc.
Now days they want a survey to distance your system from all neighbors wells and buildings etc and as well peculation tests done by a soil engineer. All adding to costs. In many cases U have to truck in approved sand for your field.
I guess the next step will be a computer controlled system that will be linked to the cloud to self report.

/ Septic issue #24  
^^^^^
you forgot to include that it would also issue the ticket for violation and bill for the fine.

/ Septic issue #25  
My 25 year old DIY septic system is still performing just fine in my former house.
The present system that was hired out does cause me problems, some of which I was able to correct.

Most amazing is how the costs have escalated from what used to cost $3-4K is now in the $35K + range.
Now days they want a survey to distance your system from all neighbors wells and buildings etc and as well peculation tests done by a soil engineer. All adding to costs. In many cases U have to truck in approved sand for your field.
I guess the next step will be a computer controlled system that will be linked to the cloud to self report.
When I put my septic in it had to be located a certain distance from the well, driveway, and property lines. Since all that stuff was marked it was easy to snow that the proposed septic was located properly. In Island County, at the time I put in my system, perc was based on soil type and depth. I had to dig 3 holes about 5 feet deep. The county wanted st least 4 feet ordinary loam and fine roots had to be present all the way down. The woman from the health department, in fact the head of the health department, climbed down into each hole. 0nd hole only had 1 inch to spare, but that inch was as good add a mile and I got my permit for a standard gravity system. That permit saved me thousands. More important it saved me and will save me headaches because I don't have any pumps. I am also really happy to have an infiltrator system. These types of systems are super easy to monitor so you can check to make sure the drainfield is working properly. Into each 50 ditch is a 3 inch port in the middle that I can look into to make sure things look and smell right. Can't do that with the old style with perc pipe buried 4 feet deep and surrounded by gravel.
Eric

/ Septic issue #26  
I had to have a site plan done ($350) That included the scientist digging a test pit and laying out where the mound was going. I then had to get a permit (Another $350), and presumeably he came and inspected it. My system is stone and pipe on top of the ground, with a concrete tank. Total cost was $8200. I did finish covering the tank and input pipe, and tied the system into the house myself, just because I wanted to know how.

One thing I don't understand; when he left the tank was dry. Before I started using it we got several rain storms, and now there's a few inches of water in the bottom of the tank. The property I sold this spring had an unused system which was installed in 2004; that tank was still bone dry.

/ Septic issue #27  
I had to have a site plan done ($350) That included the scientist digging a test pit and laying out where the mound was going. I then had to get a permit (Another $350), and presumeably he came and inspected it. My system is stone and pipe on top of the ground, with a concrete tank. Total cost was $8200. I did finish covering the tank and input pipe, and tied the system into the house myself, just because I wanted to know how.

One thing I don't understand; when he left the tank was dry. Before I started using it we got several rain storms, and now there's a few inches of water in the bottom of the tank. The property I sold this spring had an unused system which was installed in 2004; that tank was still bone dry.
That's weird. The system is connected to a plumbed house? Are there vents with open tops coming out of the roof? Rain could get into the system through the vents if the tops are just open pipes. Mine are. Still, it would take a lotta rain down some 2 inch vents to get inches of water in your septic tank. You could have a leak in the plumbing to and from the tank and ground water is getting in. This happened to my brother. So much ground water was entering his tank that it burned out his sewage pump that had to pump uphill to his drainfield. A guy I worked with had his new septic system tested by King County, WA. They poured some type of dye into his toilet and then looked in the creek behind his house some days later to see if the dye was showing up in the creek. Maybe you could do similar, but pour the dye onto the ground and see if the water in the tank changes color. I don't know where to get the dye though. You could also eat asparagus for several days in a row and pee on the ground around your septic tank. Wait a few days and sniff the tank water. If it stinks then there is a leak. My second suggestion might not work.
Eric
Etic

/ Septic issue #28  
My old concrete 2 piece tank leaked at the joint from day one. System sucked. Years later i had it ripped out and had a plastic tank installed. The plastic tank had 100’s of clamps. Will never leak.

/ Septic issue #29  
That's weird. The system is connected to a plumbed house? Are there vents with open tops coming out of the roof? Rain could get into the system through the vents if the tops are just open pipes. Mine are. Still, it would take a lotta rain down some 2 inch vents to get inches of water in your septic tank. You could have a leak in the plumbing to and from the tank and ground water is getting in. This happened to my brother. So much ground water was entering his tank that it burned out his sewage pump that had to pump uphill to his drainfield. A guy I worked with had his new septic system tested by King County, WA. They poured some type of dye into his toilet and then looked in the creek behind his house some days later to see if the dye was showing up in the creek. Maybe you could do similar, but pour the dye onto the ground and see if the water in the tank changes color. I don't know where to get the dye though. You could also eat asparagus for several days in a row and pee on the ground around your septic tank. Wait a few days and sniff the tank water. If it stinks then there is a leak. My second suggestion might not work.
Eric
Etic
Until this weekend the tank wasn't tied into the house; just the pipe running into the leach field. The only thinng I can think of is that without the tank being covered with soil it was seeping in through the covers. That's a lot of water for that though.
It's done for the winter though, tank's buried and the ground is frozen. I hope that it doesn't become a problem.

/ Septic issue #30  

Don't forget to add in the design engineers and the installation engineers and their collaboration fees.

LOL. <- Not really, more of a nervous laugh.