TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,201  
22 Nosler and 224 Valkerie are already about gone. Now, none of that is to say its a bad round, and that if you want to make it work, it won't. Heck, if you want, almost all rounds are good, but might be hard to find ammo and guns.
6mm ARC is here to challenge all AR calibers with larger dia brass than .223/5.56 and different mags. More round cap desired? Well, how many shots does it take with what ya got? That .300 Ham'r 'wins' by holding more than Grendel or ARC suggests a lack of confidence in one's marksmanship.

Spray and pray or aim? single-shot guys have spoken and I'm one in agreement with them on many counts. When a sounder scatters at the first shot more bullets won't assure more good hits. A wounded squealer won't calm the rest down and have them wandering back in range so soon, as can happen. IIRC the phrase "use enough gun" began about caliber. IMO Ham'r has too much and better competition.

btw, .25-45 SRC really is nice. 87g bullets it's designed around have decent BCs and MVs. Necking-up brass from .223 is easy-peasy and mags/capacity are the same. I was tickled to see Lane Pearce take interest in .30 AR and build a bolt gun for it. I have dies and a few hundred rounds of ammo for mine, H'dy bullets, etc. It's power is closer to .300 Sav than .308 is to '06, but it came out in an election year and sales boom for .223 ARs on fire Rem triaged it onto the shelf. .350 Legend will keep it there, but I'm keeping my R-15 .30 AR anyway. It's DPMS lower works best with all my uppers.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,202  
Shucks, I'm still stuck with my .30-06. How can I ever be a successful hunter?
That weird wild cat based on 7mm mauser, necked upto .30 cal and brass lengthened in the 30-03; and then one of those fancy high BC spitzer bullets put up front. Dang kids and their messing with everything :)

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,203  
Sorry if I offended anyone. Having owned dozens of calibers over the last 50+ years and been sucked in by gun rags I have become jaded. The latest and greatest do not seem all that great for this old shooter.

But I accept my experience and needs do not apply to everyone. For example, i have no need to eradicate dozens of hogs a month. If faced with such a challenge, I would start with my .308 bolt action. If I needed more rounds per minute, I would not get something like the .300 Hammer...just simpler to get an AR 10 and stay with cheap .308 brass. Or maybe a BLR?

If I lived in a place with cartridge restrictions, I might need to add something like the .350 Legend.

But the gun industry would not survive if everyone thought like I.

This old man will make do without a plethora of calibers.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,204  
The last time I harvested a deer at home I had to decide between the .308 or the 30-06.
I ended up with the receiver sighted .308 at about 30 yards.:)

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,205  
Sorry if I offended anyone. ...(think you could? :ROFLMAO:)

If I lived a place with cartridge restrictions or say anywhere East of the Mississippi River, I might really appreciate something like the .350 Legend.

Fixed that for ya. :ninja:

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,207  
The "any where east of the Mississippi" part, there are long range areas in the east, and there are also places out west that are nasty thick. Where I hunt in Fla, 80 yards would be about the max you can see; but i have a buddy in west central FLA that hunts on a power transmission line, and has had 600 yard shots.

Me personally, I dont think I would feel comfortable shooting at game beyond 300 yards, but thats not to say longer is "unethical". Ive seen/heard a lot of talk about ethical hunting; and its very different in different areas. Some people hate deer dog hunters; but the same people probably do deer "drives". Ive seen guys on YouTube making 1000 yard shots with a 338 Lapua on deer. Ive heard guys that hate bow hunters, and claim bow hunting is unethical.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,208  
The "any where east of the Mississippi" part, there are long range areas in the east, and there are also places out west that are nasty thick. Where I hunt in Fla, 80 yards would be about the max you can see; but i have a buddy in west central FLA that hunts on a power transmission line, and has had 600 yard shots.

Me personally, I dont think I would feel comfortable shooting at game beyond 300 yards, but thats not to say longer is "unethical". Ive seen/heard a lot of talk about ethical hunting; and its very different in different areas. Some people hate deer dog hunters; but the same people probably do deer "drives". Ive seen guys on YouTube making 1000 yard shots with a 338 Lapua on deer. Ive heard guys that hate bow hunters, and claim bow hunting is unethical.
Deer dog hunters dont bother me, to each their own. My problem with them is they (some of them) think they can run their dogs anywhere, with their common phrase.. my dogs can't read your no trespassing signs! And then some of them can't find their way home! :)
And bowhunting is not unethical just a bit cruel!
Some of my place here in SC I can't get a 20 yard shot through the thickness, other places probably 350-400 yards is there, so ALL places out east aren't short shots.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,209  
Well it seems as though the tacticool navy guy emoji .... is really a ninja.
The more you know. (y)

Anyway, I'm Army (except for guns/calibers) & loan my ARs or uppers out (mostly the .350 L upper) I hunt pretty much exclusively with bolt guns. Well, my Axis .350 Legend package gun doesn't have wood furniture as none was offered but it came with a whopping 3-9x40 $50 scope with lockable focusing eye-piece, cover caps and knurled turret caps ... and and a black poly stock. (I went all out) Anyway, just because I have several dozen BAs with wood stocks doesn't mean I can't be tacticool too, and for <$400. Pics on request as always.

btw, while I hunt up North with a WWII M-98, out back with a Ruger 77.22H, & hunt my home stand with .44 Mag instead, for shots up to 5yd or so. The RBH has a black Hogue 1-pc hand-grip, so I have a tacticool HG too.

The .350 Legends do reassure me as backups, & that's where their balance of power and shootability suits me well. We could have good ice on the Great Lakes this Winter, meaning we may have pregnant deer sneaking across it, & around the wall Canada refuses to pay for, to have their criminal drug-smuggling babies here in the sates. Gotta be prepared for what's out there. Meanwhile I have a Stevens 200 with Camo stock, ... in .223 so it's as tacticool as my old mil 8x57s & 7x57s with wood furniture.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,210  
The more you know. (y)

Anyway, I'm Army (except for guns/calibers) & loan my ARs or uppers out (mostly the .350 L upper) I hunt pretty much exclusively with bolt guns. Well, my Axis .350 Legend package gun doesn't have wood furniture as none was offered but it came with a whopping 3-9x40 $50 scope with lockable focusing eye-piece, cover caps and knurled turret caps ... and and a black poly stock. (I went all out) Anyway, just because I have several dozen BAs with wood stocks doesn't mean I can't be tacticool too, and for <$400 ven if I hunt my stand with .44 Mag instead. Pics on request as always.
lol.

I'm Army and "been there done that" for pretty much any story common to Soldiers of the last 20 years. I have a mix of everything. I've been called a fud and a tactiqueer, never really cared or laughed just as hard with them. Maybe I need to get my feelz checked as I don't often get offended by anyone's opinion of my stuff (guns or motorcycles! So double sensitive issues).