Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,912  
I'm sure you know more about the limits of the air-cooled VW than I do. I simply meant to say in my original post that towing something that large seemed like a mis-match, that it didn't seem like it would work very well. The source article said the trailers were built to promote the firm's line of trailers and only two were known to have been built. They didn't sell very well. Seems like people who know the limits of their VW's avoided them.

I understand the limits of the vehicles I've owned. Decades of offroad camping with Willys Wagons, Wagoneers, Trooper, and the Outback I bought new in 1999, shown working pretty hard in my photos above. (And in another post following that one) All of them stock. Never put a scratch in any of them (well except underneath the Jeeps, no harm done) and always made it home on Sunday evening, never been towed out of anything. I seem to know their limits.

Subarus are known for blown head gaskets when the owner doesn't understand they can't be run full throttle until warmed up. My head gaskets are still original at 22 years old. Have you kept a VW in service that long without any repairs? Why did it need modifying? :)

An old photo:
392525-wagon_washout-jpg.20929
Actually I have owned most of my vehicles for very long periods of time.
Modifications are a bit of a hobby to me and that 72 VW went from 72 to 96 as a slow moving stock bug. At that point in time I decided to stop building mostly off road stuff and do some modifications to my slow street car and disprove some of the heresay that was present in the VW street strip world at the time. That 2110 cc engine has come out for the first time since then just in the last few months and is being built bigger this time around. Going to go with a 2332 and turbo charger this time then hand it off to my favorite niece before I pass.

I honestly wouldn’t attempt pulling that camper out west on I 80 in today’s traffic, so I think I understand your statement better than when I first read it.

Most people who had issue with VW and longevity failed to understand it was an antique design a long time ago and was never built to compare to big water cooled V 8’s.

Some time, patients, understanding and good engineering into performance upgrades can get you a good running dependable one even today.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,914  
^^^
I couldn’t watch the video due to my connection speed but that driver was lucky. I saw something similar years ago when an S-10 Blazer was passing a tractor trailer on the right while the latter was making a turn. When I went past the blazer was on it’s side underneath the trailer, while all 18 wheels were on the ground. Miraculously that driver also survived.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,916  
Neither of those links appears to actually have video in them. Odd.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,917  
Is that unistrut? Well I think the truck can handle that load, but the hitch...I have and will yooper rig stuff to make it work in a pinch but that is a whole new level of scary cheapness.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,918  
Neither of those links appears to actually have video in them. Odd.
Once I got things to load I realized the same thing. Apparently both articles referred to a video which has been posted on Reddit, TickTock, or one of those other sites which I can spell but cannot visit.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,920  
Is that unistrut? Well I think the truck can handle that load, but the hitch...I have and will yooper rig stuff to make it work in a pinch but that is a whole new level of scary cheapness.

Woa, wait, what?
Never heard that one..
I resemble that remark.

those of us that went to school in Houghton get to say that its "yooper engineered!"