DK45 smokes white at all times

/ DK45 smokes white at all times
I agree with the sentiment. And if I hadn't bought it through a large reputable auction company with documentation, i would have stayed clear as well.

I honestly think whoever did this wasn't thinking. I mean, why weld horseshoes right at that spot? Pretty dumb. But these machines get a lot of use, and maybe it just ripped off before hand or something. Not sure.

Hi all,

After having had the injectors rebuilt, i finally got back to troubleshooting.

Today I did a compression test, and the results are weird to say the least.

Cyl1: 340psi
Cyl2: 40psi
Cyl3: 305psi
Cyl4: 200psi

What's everyone's opinion on these values? Clearly something is up on Cyl2. But what about the others?

And where to go next? Head gasket? Stuck valves? Rings?

Thanks in advance for your input.

/ DK45 smokes white at all times #23  
I’ll put a dollar on blown head gasket.

Any idea how to figure out top dead center on all cylinders to do a leakdown test before taring it apart? The issue is that the 4a220 has indirect injection, meaning i cannot remove the injectors and check the cylinder depth that way.

Observing the valves i guess might be easiest?

/ DK45 smokes white at all times #26  
I wish I could help more, but..... I'm just not that 'up' on diesels.

If it were me, I'd look for a gasket kit first then check into how sensitive diesels are to R&Ring the head to replace the gasket. And as long as you've got the head off, send it out to be re-worked. Not as much as you think and it's kind of a 'must do'.

Then I'd check into seeing how sensitive the block is to being worked on. As in, does it need to be decked or can you get by without it. Careful getting that old gasket and glue off the block's surface. You can gouge it with a scuff pad if you're not careful.

And if you gotta have it decked, might as well have the whole thing rebuilt or buy a new one.

I just don't know the answer. Maybe there's another board in here that can help you.

Good luck

/ DK45 smokes white at all times #27  
IF I ever were to buy a potentially stolen machine, it surely would not be that old, and have all the issues this one has :p. Plus I got all the paperwork, keys, etc. So, it would be great if you kept your accusations to yourself.

It came from auction and the plate is off (it seems) due to someone welding horse shoes at the frame in the front (where i think the plate should be). Don't ask me why they did that. Maybe to hang some weights?
He asked you a civil question as lots of times, older or newer stuff like that is stolen and sold, seen that play out in the past.

My only comment is, before taking anything apart, give it a bath, way too much filth on the motor. Any of that gets inside, you screwed yourself.

Sounds to me like one, low compression on one or more cylinders or a bad injector or a fuel issue and your tractor should have a spin on fuel filter in addition to the clear sediment bowl.

Hope you didn't pay a lot for it, looks to be run hard and put away wet, more than once. Maintenance was surely neglected too.

/ DK45 smokes white at all times #28  
Could be a bad valve, too. Bent, cracked, chipped, tulipped. Won't know until he tears it down. First thing, get a gasket kit.

Could be rings, too.

/ DK45 smokes white at all times #29  
You will also need new head bolts since Kioti uses head bolts that are single use.

/ DK45 smokes white at all times #30  
I have one of these, bought it 7 years ago, used. Didn't smoke when I bought it. Started smoking about 3 years ago on the startup. I suspected a stuck injector. I have added fuel injector cleaner and that eliminated most of the startup smoke. I run the tractor at higher revs which also was recommended by some owners. The result is not as much smoke on startup and I get a puff when going from idle up to working revs. When it smokes bad I get some knock but with the changes I made not as often nor as long. This is a great thread and it gives me some ideas going forward on things to try to identify just what is going on. I suspected a head gasket too but found that the reservoir line had a break right under the tank and that was why my fluid level seemed to be dropping. I ran it for some time and checked the rad regularly and the fluid level was constant. I knew then that the engine was not taking the fluid and that it was the broken hose. Tractor starts great, have not had to do a ot of repairs and everything pretty much still works on it. Lots of features on this tractor too so I am happy with it.