Adding front bucket extension for more capacity?

/ Adding front bucket extension for more capacity? #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
Boy, this winter is gonna have me busy working on the tractor. I have a Yanmar YM2310 with a Bulldog 285 FEL. Besides adding power steering and wheel weights I have decided it could use another upgrade. The bucket is tiny. I have a Case 580CK and the front bucket on it puts my little Bulldog 285 FEL bucket to shame.
So, after talking it over with my son we are both of the opinion that adding some sort of bucket extension makes a good deal of sense. This added cubic capacity is only for carrying brush and branches and wood rounds. I would not be loading the FEL beyond rated capacity. The tractor would be parked, loaded by hand with the wood and/or woody material, transported, and then driven somewhere and dumped. We have lots of stuff that fits the woody category, like berry canes, pine and alder branches, and various invasive plants that need pulling up and burning.
I could use the Case but it is big and long and I always have to worry about the backhoe hitting things. That's one of the reasons I bought this smaller tractor.
So, opinions about construction? My idea is to keep the sides and bottom of the extension in the same planes as the existing bucket. I may or may not have the top angle upward for even more capacity. The extension will need some sort of frame to hold the sheet steel, which will be either 1/16 or 3/32 thick. The frame might just be 3/8 thick flat bar at the mouth. But since I won't be scooping material it might be better to use 1 x 1 x 1/8 angle. It would be lighter and stiffer. I don't know yet how to interface the extension to the bucket itself. I'm not too keen about drilling holes in the bucket but i could. It would be best if there were no fasteners or clamps or any other obstructions at the interface that would catch stuff when I am either dumping or pulling stuff out. A smooth transition from extension to bucket is best. I think I figured out just now how clamping could be done. Tomorrow, when it is light out, I will take a look at the bucket. If my idea for clamping looks good I'll make a to scale drawing and post it here. Anyway, once again, opinions? About construction and the whole idea in general.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Adding front bucket extension for more capacity? #2  
Why not just get some pallet forks for hauling brush?

/ Adding front bucket extension for more capacity?
Why not just get some pallet forks for hauling brush?
I have forks already. They let too much stuff fall through. I tried using them with a pallet but it really didn't work out very well. I could screw a sheet of plywood to a pallet and add some sides and use my clamp on forks, the ones I used with just the pallet. And clamp the pallet to the forks. Then I can dump the brush onto the burn pile. Hmmm. I'll think about it.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Adding front bucket extension for more capacity? #4  

/ Adding front bucket extension for more capacity? #5  
I’ve never liked tractor buckets either. A deep bottom skid steer bucket is better in pretty much every aspect. The problem with a deep bottom bucket is you’re going to reduce the bucket breakout force and reduce the loading height.

/ Adding front bucket extension for more capacity? #7  
Ive extended several tractor buckets just by welding a new cutting edge in front of the existing one and gusseting the sides and that's worked great. This bucket is on its 3rd tractor now. You just have to be very careful not to warp it or you'll end up with a bow.

grapple.jpg

/ Adding front bucket extension for more capacity? #9  
The problem with bigger buckets is you need a bigger tractor that can lift them. You might be able to lift more with a 3PH carryall. Or if you have lots of cash floating around buy a UTV, Skidsteer or CTL, or track carrier

/ Adding front bucket extension for more capacity? #10  
Boy, this winter is gonna have me busy working on the tractor. I have a Yanmar YM2310 with a Bulldog 285 FEL. Besides adding power steering and wheel weights I have decided it could use another upgrade. The bucket is tiny. I have a Case 580CK and the front bucket on it puts my little Bulldog 285 FEL bucket to shame.
So, after talking it over with my son we are both of the opinion that adding some sort of bucket extension makes a good deal of sense. This added cubic capacity is only for carrying brush and branches and wood rounds. I would not be loading the FEL beyond rated capacity. The tractor would be parked, loaded by hand with the wood and/or woody material, transported, and then driven somewhere and dumped. We have lots of stuff that fits the woody category, like berry canes, pine and alder branches, and various invasive plants that need pulling up and burning.
I could use the Case but it is big and long and I always have to worry about the backhoe hitting things. That's one of the reasons I bought this smaller tractor.
So, opinions about construction? My idea is to keep the sides and bottom of the extension in the same planes as the existing bucket. I may or may not have the top angle upward for even more capacity. The extension will need some sort of frame to hold the sheet steel, which will be either 1/16 or 3/32 thick. The frame might just be 3/8 thick flat bar at the mouth. But since I won't be scooping material it might be better to use 1 x 1 x 1/8 angle. It would be lighter and stiffer. I don't know yet how to interface the extension to the bucket itself. I'm not too keen about drilling holes in the bucket but i could. It would be best if there were no fasteners or clamps or any other obstructions at the interface that would catch stuff when I am either dumping or pulling stuff out. A smooth transition from extension to bucket is best. I think I figured out just now how clamping could be done. Tomorrow, when it is light out, I will take a look at the bucket. If my idea for clamping looks good I'll make a to scale drawing and post it here. Anyway, once again, opinions? About construction and the whole idea in general.
Thanks,
Eric

some pics of the bucket would help.

did you just want to extend the floor of your bucket, or add sidewalls as well?

Will the extension be removable?