Off season projects

/ Off season projects #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Anyone doing any rebuilds or major repairs?
Fertilizing? Field edge tree line clearing?
Im well underway on oil changes.

1638881829571.jpeg

1638882019943.jpeg

Stocked up on twine. Got this at the end of season pricing, before it goes to like $50/roll.

1638881952081.jpeg

And of course, fertilizing

1638882157430.jpeg

/ Off season projects #2  
Ugh. Fertilizer.

We have a neighbor (empty hay meadow) that uses quite a bit of chicken litter in the late fall. That stuff stinks up the place big time for a few weeks. I wouldn't mind it at all, but they only use about half the hay they cut each year. The rest sits and rots lined up down the side of the road until they get around to burning it. Why spend all the money and time on fertilizer just to let the benefits rot?

Not a comment aimed at you. Just general whining.

/ Off season projects
Ugh. Fertilizer.

We have a neighbor (empty hay meadow) that uses quite a bit of chicken litter in the late fall. That stuff stinks up the place big time for a few weeks. I wouldn't mind it at all, but they only use about half the hay they cut each year. The rest sits and rots lined up down the side of the road until they get around to burning it. Why spend all the money and time on fertilizer just to let the benefits rot?

Not a comment aimed at you. Just general whining.

Sometimes it’s because the guys who deliver it can’t get rid of it, so they bring more than you need.
We typically spread all of ours within a few weeks of delivery. Ours is more a blend of horse manure, hay, lime and a little poultry litter

/ Off season projects
Heres a few pics of some fields I rehabbed late this summer and this fall. Soil samples were taken and sent to a lab for soil analysis. These fields needed lime badly. Ph way off.
Started off with 2tons lime/acre in mid August.

1640609421139.jpeg

Next, we drilled 41 acres in early September

1640609137052.jpeg

Then top dress with some mushroom compost in later November.

1640608936055.jpeg

1640608978693.png

Now it’s a waiting game, but my hope is this 41 acre farm will yield some great results next summer.

/ Off season projects #5  
Hey Hay Dude, Former tenant herdsman, before my purchase of this place, used that red twine around bales of hay. Each time he fed the cattle, he cut that twine and let it lay where it dropped. I've pulled miles of it from the ground, trying to be rid of his trash. Current tenant herdsman knows I'm a real downer for his leaving any kind of webbing, twine, trash behind.

Ph here was bad (as it is throughout Virginia). Applied 220 tones of lime in October. In late May, need to apply 5 tones of potassium and another 5 tones of phosphate.

This past week - working on taking down the old concrete block milk processing room. (nobody ever said a block building was beautifyl) In conjunction with that, am re-pointing the stone foundation and basement wall of the large animal barn that is exposed, now that the block building is gone. I used a mix of N and S mortar - wanted some pliability and some (more) strength.

/ Off season projects
Hey Hay Dude, Former tenant herdsman, before my purchase of this place, used that red twine around bales of hay. Each time he fed the cattle, he cut that twine and let it lay where it dropped. I've pulled miles of it from the ground, trying to be rid of his trash. Current tenant herdsman knows I'm a real downer for his leaving any kind of webbing, twine, trash behind.

Ph here was bad (as it is throughout Virginia). Applied 220 tones of lime in October. In late May, need to apply 5 tones of potassium and another 5 tones of phosphate.

This past week - working on taking down the old concrete block milk processing room. (nobody ever said a block building was beautifyl) In conjunction with that, am re-pointing the stone foundation and basement wall of the large animal barn that is exposed, now that the block building is gone. I used a mix of N and S mortar - wanted some pliability and some (more) strength.

I try as hard as I can to pick up all the twine I can see. Amazing how it still ends up taking out an axle bearing once every few years on my equipment

/ Off season projects #7  
I took a few small trees down and they're piled to burn when I get the right day.

Trimmed some branches with a new-ish pole saw.

I like to do that stuff when the leaves are off so I can see the branches better.

Got a ditch to dig and a small amount of building to do if I can find affordable lumber and metal sheathing/roofing.

Need to do oil and filter changes in the riding mowers. Cars too I guess.

General pick up/cleanup and hauling to the dump when it's 60 degrees instead of 90.

/ Off season projects
We are in the tree trimming process, too. I have no one else to blame but myself if branches are scratching the cab! Lol

Related: One kind of nice pickup I got late this fall was a property was sold next to a property I already farm. It has about 5 acres of thick, lush grass. Realizing this, I stopped by soon as new owner moved in and offered to hay it, IF he would be willing to remove fence and brush between the properties so I could effectively “connect” the properties together
New owner wants nothing to do with mowing the land and actually paid me to remove brush, tree limbs and fence between them.
The other property is about 15 acres. Now I have about 20 joined together. He’s real happy with getting rid of the mowing expense for a small fee to clear a 50’ opening between properties.
Not a big deal, but it all adds up to more tonnage

Last edited:
   / Off season projects #9  
I always wait until Spring to do my oil and filter changes. In my mind, it's better to do this after everything has been sitting around all winter, rather then before the cold wet weather happens. Right now, I'm still working on removing trees for my fence and filling in the holes from the stumps. It's slow going, but I'm steadily making progress.

/ Off season projects #10  
Where to start on off season projects. There are so many. Currently I have been aggressively cutting brush, thorn apples, and mulitfloral rose out of the pastures. Been at this for several years now with aggressive cutting and spraying and slowly the cattle have worked it back and the grass is growing. Have some field tree line trimming to do. Neglect of a couple decades and you lose a lot. Will gain any where from 1 mower width to 3 when I'm done. Then there is all they equipment that need gone through. Hard to get motivated with an uninsulated shop and 30 degree weather.