What creates "bad diesel" fuel ?

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #1  

SARG

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH T1030- NH T1530 - 49G Brockway
Several years ago I experienced a summer of "frequent" fuel filter changes. On the T1530 NH that I cut several fields with I had to change the filter often. The machine would just not maintain power & speed. After the filter change it would immediately be back to spec.
I was buying my diesel at the same location that year and when I finally decided that my filter issues were caused by the fuel I was using I changed to another source ................. and the issues went away. I've only changed the filter once in the last two years and the symptom is the rpm drop & power loss.
I'm suspicious that something in the fuel "coats" the filter. Anyone else have similar problems ?

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #2  
One time when I decided to try some off road diesel was when I had some wax globs come out of solution. Had to syphon the tank and then use a 3 finger tool to fish out the globs that were mostly plugging the outlet from the tank.

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #4  
I know of what you speak, a few years ago my neighbor said I should get my fuel at the local co-op to avoid the road taxes so I gave it a shot. Worst fuel I have ever had the misfortune of putting in my Deere. Went back to buying fuel where I had been and troubles went away. I think it had to do with the turn over, where I normally purchase fuel is the same place many of the local truckers use.

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #5  

What creates "bad diesel" fuel ?​

Fuel age and condensation.

I never use red off-road diesel, which for me would be from a Citgo station.

I pay more for fully taxed highway diesel from the busy Chevron.

I buy only nine gallons are a time. I almost empty the tractor tank before adding fresh diesel. Not a good idea to add fresh fuel to old fuel when the tractor tank is half full.

Fresh fuel is the bottom line.

Last edited:
   / What creates "bad diesel" fuel ?
I know of what you speak, a few years ago my neighbor said I should get my fuel at the local co-op to avoid the road taxes so I gave it a shot. Worst fuel I have ever had the misfortune of putting in my Deere. Went back to buying fuel where I had been and troubles went away. I think it had to do with the turn over, where I normally purchase fuel is the same place many of the local truckers use.

I agree with the "turnover" thought ........ the place I changed to sold much more diesel than the prior.

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #7  
I contribute your issue, as well as the others posted, to old fuel, caused by limited sales at the vendor.

Let's not "cloud" (pun intended) this issue with red fuel versus clear fuel. This problem could be found in either.

I use the same vendor 99% of the time. Most of the local farmers use it also. Large volume of red/clear fuel. No issues at all.

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #8  
One bulk plant here was selling bio diesel and not telling anyone. The buyers had problems and couldn't figure out why. Once the customers figured the plant out, they bought somewhere else and problems went away.

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #9  
I have a Mack truck here and have been running it lately. Bought it ten years ago but haven't needed it. Fuel was 5 years old 10 years ago. We got it to put a log loader on the back of it, but the other truck kept going longer than we thought. It still cranks and runs fine. We had to put a front bumper on it with a fold up leg that holds the boom of the loader up as it goes past the front bumper at rest. Then we have to be able to fold it down to tilt hood.

Attachments

• image000000_01.jpg
    image000000_01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 249
   / What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #10  
I've been custom farming since 1987. I've added newly acquired diesel to fuel that's been in tractor tank for months. I've very rarely had a fuel condition problem.