Stump bucket for L2501

/ Stump bucket for L2501 #1  

Smf834

Bronze Member
Tractor
L2501
Can anyone recommend a stump bucket for a compact? I think the shorter length bucket would minimize risk of straining the fel? I read in other threads and someone said not push but pull with the stump bucket? What does that mean?

/ Stump bucket for L2501 #2  
I’ve been considering the CRI (cold rolled industrial) stump bucket but haven’t pulled the trigger due to price creep.

I’ll be interested to see your responses.

Mike

/ Stump bucket for L2501 #3  
They work but they take patience and time, and anything more than 12" will take a few hours unless in sandy soils. Titan attachments sells a compact tractor version for $650 and you will have a lot of ground work/clean up to do afterwards.

So if you have a lot of 3-10" size it should be fairly easy with a stump bucket, but you have bigger stumps you might be better off buying or renting a stump grinder for a few days - here's a 3PT version. WG24 Stump Grinder, Stump Grinder | Woodland Mills USA

/ Stump bucket for L2501 #4  
Stump buckets are primarily Skid Steer attachments.

Stump buckets work OK on tractors with a bare weight of at least 5,000 pounds with enough Loader hydraulic pressure to lift 2,500 pounds to full height.

My 3,700 pound bare weight Kubota L3560 with LA805 Loader did not have enough tractor weight nor FEL hydraulic power to push a moderate length stump bucket with serrated cutting edges into damp Florida sandy loam nor leverage it out.

---- 0 ----

Smf834 (edited) October 29, 2021

1) We live on 5+ wooded acres in the Pacific NW. Lots of holly trees and blackberry bushes need to go.

This is the work I do every day.

Consider a Paumco bucket spade, the lightest, shortest bucket spade sold for tractors. A bucket spade is a better attachment for shrub excavation on an L2501.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tractor+paumco+bucket+spade

Attachments

• DSC00418.jpg
    DSC00418.jpg
    853.4 KB · Views: 392
  • DSC00692.JPG
    DSC00692.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 969

2) and short volunteer bushes around the taller trees.

Loppers or a battery powered reciprocating saw. I like Makita.

Last edited:
   / Stump bucket for L2501 #5  
And going back to an earlier thread (Sept 2021) on converting a used Kubota L2501 to SSQA the OP asked the same question about a stump bucket here. l2501 pinned loader to ssqa

Did you buy a new 2501 or this used one?

Good advise above.

One word of warning, the L series loader it pretty tough for a tractor loader, but I can see a stump bucket tearing it apart. I tried popping a few small stumps with my forks, and the loader did not like that. And these were like 3 inch stumps. See the results of one bending the curl cylinders on a much larger Massey in a current thread here. Those buckets belong on a rugged skidsteer loader, not a tractor.

/ Stump bucket for L2501 #6  
Paumco combo quick spade maybe an option for a small tractor. Use gently on your bucket. Better on forks. Concentrate on cutting multiple directions instead of just prying. Find it can slice thru several inches of live roots. Flush cut below the ground brush and small trees.

/ Stump bucket for L2501 #7  
I read in another thread that someone said not push but pull with the stump bucket? What does that mean?

See Post #8.

Last edited:
   / Stump bucket for L2501 #8  
Can anyone recommend a stump bucket for a compact? I think the shorter length bucket would minimize risk of straining the fel? I read in other threads and someone said not push but pull with the stump bucket? What does that mean?
I’d advise against it, farm/CUT loaders aren’t really designed for that type of work. They don’t have a lot of hydraulic pressure and it doesn’t take a lot to tweak them askew.

/ Stump bucket for L2501 #9  
Artillan makes one for their fork frame system. Good Works Tractor now also makes one. Both intended for sub/compact tractors.

/ Stump bucket for L2501 #10  
Tried it with a MX5100 - I wasn't impressed and it was hard to see what you were digging. Definitely a Skid steer tool.