TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #101  
Hozzie, yes there can be a multitude of reasons for price increases but that is not my argument. The jist of "0'% as a marketing scheme, has substantially added to the pricing of commodity.
It is the "big lie" about the whole thing that bothers me the most.
The gullible fall for this and run to buy stuff thinking they are not using their money and its not costing them anything to do so. That is total bullshite.

We have a commercial on the local channels right now for a local furniture store staying "when was the last time you went to your bank and was charged nothing for your loan"? "Well we are doing just that at Jordan's Furniture with 0% interest with as much furniture as you want to buy and you have 84 months to pay". I want to shoot the TV every time I hear this ad.

The "plus" for this is totally for the company but they make it look like the customer is the one really getting the advantage and make it seem like "win-win".
0% does several things advantageous for the company: 1, They get to be their own finance institution and able to glom the interest that would ordinarily go elsewhere.
2. they can dictate pricing anywhere they want to appear advantageous. Haggling is reduced to a breath in many instances. 3. They achieve total retail pricing without making it seem so bad for the consumer. 4. They purport how convenient it is for the customer not to have to shop for financing.
5. The scheme is quite ingenious as it increases customer traffic with the customer thinking it is not costing them anything and they don't have to use their own money.
Exactly like you thought.

It is pulling the wool over the publics eyes and I for one, abhor that kind of funny business. I didn't do such when selling Dodge trucks, I don't do it now with working for Mahindra and i will always tell people the truth and show them their best avenues to acquire what they want even to the extent of perhaps they should not be considering such a heavy purchase right now.

I have 3 daughters and when they went to buy cars for themselves, it was like the sharks were circling at the dealerships. That to me was abominable to treat people in such a way because one thinks to take advantage of them.

That is what 0% is for me, taking advantage of people and I will never buy furniture at Jordan's Furniture.
In some cases it's even worse. As chance would have it, I bought a new Toyota today. Current incentives for Toyota are a $500 rebate ONLY if you finance. See, so financing is a better deal!!! .

So I told the dealer I wanted to finance it, financed $1,500 of the total purchase price, paid cash for the rest, and will pay off the $1,500 loan when I get the first bill.

As was mentioned, and has been used here as an excuse for why financing is a good deal, most people just look at monthly cash flow, and think if their monthly payment is lower, then they are getting a better deal.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #102  
I would sure lean towards the green color.

Unfortunately, this video just seems to confirm what others have said. John Deere's are assembled in the US, but not manufactured in the US. At least the video certainly didn't show any manufacturing going on. It showed assembly. Even one of the "manufacturing" engineers explained that her job is to "design the process for how to out together the tractors."

It's an assembly line, not a manufacturing facility. A subtle but very important difference.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #103  
No you are not the only one thinking overkill.
His money, his choice

I know I went "overkill" for my last tractor (Deere 4520 with a Curtis Cab) and my current one (Deere 4052R Cab) as far as size, but since I never buy new, I got all the $50K-$55K tractor for $35K
Difference between men and boys is the price of their toys...

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #104  
Unfortunately, this video just seems to confirm what others have said. John Deere's are assembled in the US, but not manufactured in the US. At least the video certainly didn't show any manufacturing going on. It showed assembly. Even one of the "manufacturing" engineers explained that her job is to "design the process for how to out together the tractors."

It's an assembly line, not a manufacturing facility. A subtle but very important difference.
Not unusual though...most components in automotive, aerospace and equipment assembly aren't manufactured by the OEM...all they do is assembly. Nothing new about this...been SOP for decades (at least).
The components are manufactured by the supply chain, which can be worldwide. I work for one of those suppliers now...only difference is the industry (I'm in aerospace)

Last edited:
   / TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #105  
Are you really naïve enough to think a JD4044 is 100% American made? Or even 60%? Unlike JD's larger tractors, the JD4044 and their other compacts are no more "American made" than any other Korean, Japanese or Indian tractor. In fact some "foreign" tractors (Kubota and Branson for instance) have a considerably larger percentage of their final assembly done in the States. The American JD workers get no benefit at all from the sale of JD compact tractors. The only Americans who makes more money from a JD compact tractor sale are the overpaid JD executives and the company stock holders (a large percentage of whom are actually Chinese).
Boy, you really don't like Deere, do ya?

The compact Deeres (including my 4052) are assembled in Augusta, Georgia...so the assembly techs, ME's and others do get a paycheck and benefits

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #106  

Yes, the video showed an assembly line....and assembly is what they do there. They will manufacture at a different location, just like any large manufacturer does. Do you really think Ford is machining engine blocks next to where they install seats in F150s?

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #108  
Are you really naïve enough to think a JD4044 is 100% American made? Or even 60%? Unlike JD's larger tractors, the JD4044 and their other compacts are no more "American made" than any other Korean, Japanese or Indian tractor. In fact some "foreign" tractors (Kubota and Branson for instance) have a considerably larger percentage of their final assembly done in the States. The American JD workers get no benefit at all from the sale of JD compact tractors. The only Americans who makes more money from a JD compact tractor sale are the overpaid JD executives and the company stock holders (a large percentage of whom are actually Chinese).
Do you have any videos of those Branson tractors being made.....and where?

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #109  
I'd go with a Deere. Quality never costs-it always pays. I think 50 horse and above are Deere diesels; below that Yanmar?? Get Deere's engine. My opinion.
All the 40xx series use Yanmar engines...the older 4x20 series used Deere Powertech engines.
Justification was it was easier to make the Yanmar engines Tier IV compliant.
I had a 4520, currently have a 4052R. Biggest difference I see is the Powertech engines had more torque.
That said, the Yanmar engines are really good, reliable engines. Deere's been using them since, at least, the 1990's

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #110  
If you want to see some "manufacturing", here is a video:

Again, the only thing coming off the line are lawn mowers. It isn't disputed that John Deere manufactures those and large Ag equipment in the US.

The OP is looking at purchasing a CUT. The argument was made he should buy a 3-series or 4-series Deere, with the implication being it was manufactured in the US. That is not correct, and neither this, nor the previous video, prove JD CUTs are manufactured in the US.

As to an earlier comment, they do assembly in the US (my guess more than what many brands do). That's a fair argument. But, saying they are "built" in the USA is highly misleading, and technically incorrect.