Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,902  
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,904  
Dang, I may have to give that a try sometime. Whats the "GOL" method?

What the video you posted showed "Game Of Logging" . Make face cut. Make a bore cut to form hinge leaving wood behind the saw where the back cut would normally start. Insert wedges in bore cut then cut the back wood sometimes called the trigger wood.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,905  
Dang, I may have to give that a try sometime. Whats the "GOL" method?
Husqvarna has a video series which closely parallels what is taught in the Game of Logging (or at least in the level 1 class). They don't call it Game of Logging, but they were sponsors of the program in the USA for many years (I dont think they are currently involved, but I'm not sure.)

The first video in the series is a demonstration. It's 45 minutes long, and he does a lot of talking, but it does give a good idea of the basic technique (they do not get in to the "tongue & groove" technique in this series). Subsequent videos on the series go into more detail on some of the how-to and the "why" they do the things they do.

I don't recommend that someone without significant background try to teach themselves to use a chainsaw by watching videos, but I don't get the impression that a lack of background or experience is a problem in your case, Hunt4570.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,906  
Nice, I dont have a winch but I've tied a rope or chain above the cut a few times to pull a (small ish) tree out of the pond after cutting. Same kind of thing.
In the landscape around me a winch is almost a must, have been using winches like this when the tractor is on the road and the tree is in such steep terrain that it takes off down the valley side when cutting, a bit different work technic but more fun and more exercise ;)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,907  
Husqvarna has a video series which closely parallels what is taught in the Game of Logging (or at least in the level 1 class). They don't call it Game of Logging, but they were sponsors of the program in the USA for many years (I dont think they are currently involved, but I'm not sure.)

The first video in the series is a demonstration. It's 45 minutes long, and he does a lot of talking, but it does give a good idea of the basic technique (they do not get in to the "tongue & groove" technique in this series). Subsequent videos on the series go into more detail on some of the how-to and the "why" they do the things they do.

I don't recommend that someone without significant background try to teach themselves to use a chainsaw by watching videos, but I don't get the impression that a lack of background or experience is a problem in your case, Hunt4570.

And I have watched a lot of that series from Husqvarna and thought it pretty good and I have learned some stuff as well. I just watched the beginning of the video you posted and I have watched it before for sure, I dont have time right now but I saved that and will watch it again later. Thanks for posting.
And I agree about teaching ones self to run a chainsaw with a video is not the best method (not sure what is the best method though.. trial and error I guess) and I am NO expert that's for sure but lots of experience I have.
Does someone somewhere teach chainsaw techniques? I started as a landowner 40 ish years ago and have just slowly built up experience over the years, and I'm sure I have been doing something wrong all this time but no one has told me so.. AND.. I still have all my hands , feet, fingers and such so I must not be doing too bad! ;)