John deere 3520 very hard to start but when it does eventually runs normal

/ John deere 3520 very hard to start but when it does eventually runs normal #1  

joey14036

Tractor
john deere 3520
Jd 3520 bought at auction. hydro diesel. turns over and eventually starts little blue smoke and when it fires it seems to idle fine. it just takes a minute or more of turning over and eventually starts. acting like its extremely cold out but its summer time so i know thats no the issue.

/ John deere 3520 very hard to start but when it does eventually runs normal #2  
Motor has been dusted, basically junk. That’s why it was at the auction. Rebuild it, live with it or take it back to the auction.

/ John deere 3520 very hard to start but when it does eventually runs normal #3  
Welcome to TBN. How many hours are on the tractor? Check your air filter. I suspect your tractor has glow plugs. Do they activate automatically or must you engage them manually? An owner's manual should tell you that and give starting procedure. Are the glow plugs still good? It sounds like the engine is not preheating.

/ John deere 3520 very hard to start but when it does eventually runs normal #4  
Glow plugs, supply pump (if equipped) Bleed back..
it’ll b easies to diagnose if u tell us what YOU’VE DONE..

/ John deere 3520 very hard to start but when it does eventually runs normal
I havent done much to the tractor as of yet. it has 728 hours on it. i picked it up from auction and dropped it in barn. i plan on going over fuel lines, filter etc this upcoming weekend...

It has manual glow plugs on it where you have to push the key in to activate them...

Welcome to TBN. How many hours are on the tractor? Check your air filter. I suspect your tractor has glow plugs. Do they activate automatically or must you engage them manually? An owner's manual should tell you that and give starting procedure. Are the glow plugs still good? It sounds like the engine is not preheating.
728 hours. manual glow plug. I was in a time crunch when picking up and dropping off tractor in my barn so I plan on going through the usual suspects of fuel, air filters etc. this weekend. Came on here for ideas incase none of those fix my problem

/ John deere 3520 very hard to start but when it does eventually runs normal #8  
Run them for 5-10 seconds and see if it helps, maybe even 10-20.

/ John deere 3520 very hard to start but when it does eventually runs normal #9  
It has manual glow plugs on it where you have to push the key in to activate them...
Rather than Glow Plugs I think the 3520 has the Air Intake Heater device on top of the intake manifold, A single wire connects to the terminal.
You need to verify if the heater is actually working.
Test for power at the connection to the heater when you press the key in. (Multi-meter or Test light)

Rather than Glow Plugs I think the 3520 has the Air Intake Heater device on top of the intake manifold, A single wire connects to the terminal.
You need to verify if the heater is actually working.
Test for power at the connection to the heater when you press the key in. (Multi-meter or Test light)
ok I will give that a try. Thanks for the idea.