Question on Disc Harrow work. . .

/ Question on Disc Harrow work. . . #1  

jezreel

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota - MX5400 DTC
Hey Folks. . .

I have been out on my 38 acre homestead for 2.5 years now. This area I’m living in used to be filled with pastures of watermelons. They quit farming melons 15 years ago and let nature have the pastures. When we bought the acreage, all the pastures were 99.9% weed (heavy and thick weeds), and the ground still had bad furrows. Horrible to drive a tractor in to cut the weeds. After the first year, the Money-Man (My Wife) said the finances were good enough to get a tractor. So I bought the MX5400 with a Bush Hog, Box Blade and a LP DH2572 for pasture improvement.

laste year i disced the back pasture and middle pastures, drug them and sewed Bermuda. This past week, I dished the very back and the front pasture, drug and sewed Bermuda. I specifically bought the Disc Harrow to tear down those pastures in order to smooth them out. I can now cut the pastures in 2nd gear high (4-5 mph) whereas before, I could only go 3rd gear low (2-2.5mph). So I have accomplished what I needed to do with the DH.

Now that we've been here for 2.5 years, I am tired of pushing that lawn mower, and really want to get a ZTR. Right now I push mow my front, back and side yards (half an acre), which isn’t too bad, but a ZTR would make it so much faster. I will be mowing 2.5 acres very soon as the Bermuda is really taking off in the pastures around the house. The rest of the pastures will continue to be cut with the bush hog.

I thought I could do some good Financially by selling the DH to have money to put towards the ZTR. Here in Texas the mowing season is Way Long. I will be utilizing the ZTR every week, whereas I’m sure the DH would be unused 99.9% of the time.

So here’s the question. . . I used the DH for its original intended purchase. Can y’all, with years of experience, think of any tasks that might cause me to rethink selling it. I will not be using it for garden purposes. I just can’t think of anything else I’d be using it for. But I don’t want to sell it before I know for sure. It would really help me get the ZTR sooner if I sell it. Out of the 38 acres, 10 acres is pasture, the rest trees.

Thanks Folks.

john

/ Question on Disc Harrow work. . . #2  
if the disc is paid for, and doesn't cost you any money to keep it (and keep it operational) I wouldn't sell it.

plans change, you never know what the future holds... except if you sell it now, and need it again it will cost you more to replace it.

if it sits unused for 3 years... then maybe I sell it

/ Question on Disc Harrow work. . . #3  
A Disc Harrow is the premier tool for fire break and trail maintenance.

Consider your long term need for a bare ground fire break around your perimeter.

I will be mowing 2.5 acres very soon as the Bermuda is taking off in the pastures around the house.

Last edited:
   / Question on Disc Harrow work. . . #4  
Myself and many others want to keep equipment just in case we need it in the future. But it really boils down to the finances. If you really need the z turn and can only afford if you sell the disc, then sell the disc. However, I saw that Kubota is offering 0% financing for 36 to 48 months depending upon the z turn model this is with no down payment. Not sure how the cash price might differ from the financed price but it is worth checking out.

/ Question on Disc Harrow work. . .
Yep. I already have it, and if I kept it, it would be there when I need it. I just wonder 5 years down the line, would it still be sitting under the shed without being used that whole time. Im just wondering about what else I might use it for.

I appreciate the responses so far.

/ Question on Disc Harrow work. . . #6  
Yep. I already have it, and if I kept it, it would be there when I need it. I just wonder 5 years down the line, would it still be sitting under the shed without being used that whole time. Im just wondering about what else I might use it for.

I appreciate the responses so far.
For many farmers, letting it sit for 5 years is like a season in our books. 10 to 15 years chances are it will find a use once again.

I bough mine new pre-covid era. The price of the disc harrow has reached 3X that original price.

I'm in the same boat. Got disc harrow and now about 2 acres to mow. Not as many trees as it became pasture once again. The original use was to snap the tree roots out of the pastures as the place was a tree farm prior.

If you lived in TN, Bermuda grass is considered a weed and many folks go to extremes to eradicate it.

Is it possible to barter trade the disc harrow for a nice easy used zero-turn then?

Yeah. I was gonna see what they would do for a trade. I certainly will get more than I paid for it, pre COVID.

/ Question on Disc Harrow work. . . #8  
What kind of disk is it and what size ?

/ Question on Disc Harrow work. . . #9  
OP, never get rid of a good piece of equipment that's paid for, a nickle's worth of grease along and along is about all it would take maintenance wise and you never know when you might want to do a little side work or help a neighbor out with a garden plot.

it is a Land Pride DH-2572.

Lineman. . . Yeah, I hear ya. I just can’t think of any uses I’ll have for it in the future. And I’d rather have a piece of equipment that I regular use, than one sitting in the shed for years without getting used. Though, I am slow to do this as to not regret it. Right now it’s safe and sound in the shed. It is difficult to part with something that is worth more now than when I bought it.