PT-425 50 Hour Service Issues

/ PT-425 50 Hour Service Issues #11  
I can't really recommend the "work it hot" strategy with the hydraulic filter. It is too awkward and the oil too hot, for me at least.

I could be wrong, but I believe that zerk on the "bow-tie" or "dog bone" connecting the front and year is in principle an 8 hour service item. I can recommend Lock-N-Lube connectors on your grease gun if you ever do get a zerk in there...I use my battery powered drill to remove and replace the bolts that hold the cover on as it is easy to set the torque on the bolts and it is quick.

All the best,

Peter

/ PT-425 50 Hour Service Issues
Huh. My manual shows the rear of the dog bone getting lubed every 8 hours, but the front (where you have to remove the covers) is listed as a 50 hour item.

That said, I can DEFINITELY see why one would be much better off doing both at 8.

/ PT-425 50 Hour Service Issues #14  
I ended up removing the small cover over the front one as I'm too lazy to remove 4 bolts so often. I also removed the two tunnel covers on the sides so I could get to my 3 zerks on my treadle. And I also removed the top tunnel cover, as leaves and debris would build up in there. So, basically, all the tunnel covers are sitting in the garage. No I just leaf blower it out after use. A lot easier.

/ PT-425 50 Hour Service Issues #16  
But then I gotta find a new place for my cupholder... :LOL:
OK 🤣

Gotta have that.

Then you might try this. A 1" bi-metal hole saw right over the zerk area.

979B6BFF-F12C-4F4D-BBA6-AAC533675ACA.jpeg

/ PT-425 50 Hour Service Issues
Been so busy I haven't had time to write!

FINALLY got the filter off thanks to @ponytug advice and a newer, larger, beterrer strap wrench with a 1/2" drive with a 36" breaker bar. Result: an utterly crushed filter later and....we're good! :cool: (y)

Of course, then you need to get the filter back ON and that's a trip and a half. Apparently they don't have gravity at PowerTrac central or something? Best bet was to weasel a hand UNDER the filter and support that with your fingertips, while rotating with the fingertips of the other hand. Once threaded nice and straight, tighten up appropriately.

Serviceability on that is a solid 0 / 10 - would not recommend. Gonna have to find a filter like the one I used on the engine with the nut on the bottom next time...

/ PT-425 50 Hour Service Issues #19  
Been so busy I haven't had time to write!

FINALLY got the filter off thanks to @ponytug advice and a newer, larger, beterrer strap wrench with a 1/2" drive with a 36" breaker bar. Result: an utterly crushed filter later and....we're good! :cool: (y)

Of course, then you need to get the filter back ON and that's a trip and a half. Apparently they don't have gravity at PowerTrac central or something? Best bet was to weasel a hand UNDER the filter and support that with your fingertips, while rotating with the fingertips of the other hand. Once threaded nice and straight, tighten up appropriately.

Serviceability on that is a solid 0 / 10 - would not recommend. Gonna have to find a filter like the one I used on the engine with the nut on the bottom next time...
Congratulations! Great to hear the follow up. That is a nice looking strap wrench!

My general tip on the strap wrench is to keep it as high as possible on the filter. My first couple were pretty mangled until I had it sorted out. Practice makes... well, better for sure.

Funnily enough, the finger tip method for starting the new filter is what I use as well, and I know that there is a ton more room in my tractor.

Terry tip #1: Once you have your tractor running for a bit, check for foaming by opening the hydraulic fill opening with the engine running and look for tiny bubbles. If you see any, the filter isn't on tight enough. Terry's tip #2 was to clean the outside of the new filter, and then look for dust accumulating on the outside of the filter filter. Apparently, not having the filter on tightly enough apparently manages to spray or push oil out of the filter rim on to the filter, where it attracts dust.

All the best,

Peter