Riding mower RIO (Ridiculous Idea On the Onset)

/ Riding mower RIO (Ridiculous Idea On the Onset) #11  
Obviously some are ignorant of how many injuries occur with mowing machines etc. every year...
The powers that be use the data from those injuries/deaths etc. to design safety devices in an effort to prevent similar injuries...it's not rocket science...

Accidents do happen but many of them can be prevented...

/ Riding mower RIO (Ridiculous Idea On the Onset) #12  
I had never heard of RIO either

/ Riding mower RIO (Ridiculous Idea On the Onset) #13  
RIO is a John Deere thing. It stands for reverse implement operation. I have had my JD for over 3 years now and I still almost kill the engine at least once when I mow.

/ Riding mower RIO (Ridiculous Idea On the Onset) #14  
the best that I can relate to is that the engine shuts down sometimes when I shift around on the seat (safety thing)

/ Riding mower RIO (Ridiculous Idea On the Onset) #15  
Several other manufactures have had much better systems than Deere. I agree with the OP , instead of concentrating on what you should be, you are seeking a switch to pull or button to press. Husqvarna you turned the key back one notch on the switch. Early Toro had their key choice which had an extra key under the seat that you would turn once and it would last until the PTO switch was cycled. Didn't want the operator to be able to mow backwards? You took the extra key out. Even MTD had a better system than Deere. Similar to Husqvarna, but you also pushed a button and this lasted until the PTO was cycled. The whole thing started with MTD decades before the standard. Prior to the requirement, it was a voluntary thing between Deere and Toro as a way to meet the standard that was in the making in a way that was user friendly. One of them got it right...

/ Riding mower RIO (Ridiculous Idea On the Onset) #16  
So, OP you are just ranting right? Asking us consumers here does no good. It is like anything where some company gets sued by some tard who hurt theirself and they change the design so as not to get sued again......

Like McDonalds making their coffee cooler because some dingas was drinking it in a car and spilled it on herself and then sued. So now we all get colder worse tasting coffee.....

Nothing new under the sun.....
Disagree on that particular case, that elderly lady (79) really did need skin grafts. She had 3rd degree burns.
That is how bad that coffee burned her. And the Lady offered to settle for 20 K that is after spending 8 days in the hospital. McDonalds refused.

I remember how hot Micky d's used to serve their coffee. to hot burned my own mouth on their scalding coffee because I took a drink , What good is coffee so hot it completely burns your taste buds so now you can't taste anything.

Nope don't agree on that case Probably completely agree on most others though.

ps. RIO on our very recent used deere x500 purchase lasted all of about 18 hours before it was Fixed along with a few other "items"

Last edited:
   / Riding mower RIO (Ridiculous Idea On the Onset) #17  
That's what happens when lawyers get into the design of the machine.
Last I heard there were something like 15 warnings about safety on a 6’ ladder...complements of lawyers I’m sure.

/ Riding mower RIO (Ridiculous Idea On the Onset) #18  
If you think the RIO is a pain when you're mowing, try when you're snow blowing. You've got big gloves on, hands are cold, probably dark out, can't find that little button and your gloves won't fit under that plastic thing you can pull, and if you do your hands are too numb to do anything anyway. And why do you need it for a snowblower? If you back over someone, the problem isn't the auger because it's facing forward. I disabled that thing and if I hadn't I'd probably have traded it in on something else. Total bad design.

/ Riding mower RIO (Ridiculous Idea On the Onset) #19  
Back in the late 60's I was working for a MF dealer when the 10 & 12 were made they originally had no safety devices, into the 70's safety switches were installed they kept you from starting the engine if the implement drive was engaged or the clutch was not depressed. Before production of those ended more shielding was added along with a deflector chute. Was told at the time there was a gold label and a silver label, depending op how safe it was. Noticed the operators manual on the inside cover and the first few pages listed all the safety decals and ended with the statement "If any are missing do NOT operate tractor". I would often jest that mowers were soon going to have a plexiglass over the blades and snow blowers were going to have the augers covered with chicken wire.
After 20 years left there and worked with mobile homes for about 18 years, returned to a dealer that sold lawn care equipment and was surprised at all the safety gadgets on new equipment.
After hearing how stupid people are and their ability to find a lawyer who could convince a jury that the rich, money loaded dealer and manufacturer ought to provide the poor injured party was excessive compensation because they designed a "defective unsafe" product. Now I understand why the price has excessive for just a simple mower. The manufacturer has to protect themselves and their dealers by designing equipment that even the dumbest person can operate and not get hurt.
Yes we all pay for these "improvements" and must suffer the possible inconvenience of them due to the few who take advantage of stupidity.
By the way are you aware in most states a dealer cannot bypass safety systems and must repair any safety items if the unit was taken to their shop for repair. If you refuse that repair a waver is supposed to be signed by the owner stating he knew the unit was unsafe and would not hold the dealer or manufacturer responsible for any injuries.

/ Riding mower RIO (Ridiculous Idea On the Onset) #20  
Back in the late 60's I was working for a MF dealer when the 10 & 12 were made they originally had no safety devices, into the 70's safety switches were installed they kept you from starting the engine if the implement drive was engaged or the clutch was not depressed. Before production of those ended more shielding was added along with a deflector chute. Was told at the time there was a gold label and a silver label, depending op how safe it was. Noticed the operators manual on the inside cover and the first few pages listed all the safety decals and ended with the statement "If any are missing do NOT operate tractor". I would often jest that mowers were soon going to have a plexiglass over the blades and snow blowers were going to have the augers covered with chicken wire.
After 20 years left there and worked with mobile homes for about 18 years, returned to a dealer that sold lawn care equipment and was surprised at all the safety gadgets on new equipment.
After hearing how stupid people are and their ability to find a lawyer who could convince a jury that the rich, money loaded dealer and manufacturer ought to provide the poor injured party was excessive compensation because they designed a "defective unsafe" product. Now I understand why the price has excessive for just a simple mower. The manufacturer has to protect themselves and their dealers by designing equipment that even the dumbest person can operate and not get hurt.
Yes we all pay for these "improvements" and must suffer the possible inconvenience of them due to the few who take advantage of stupidity.
By the way are you aware in most states a dealer cannot bypass safety systems and must repair any safety items if the unit was taken to their shop for repair. If you refuse that repair a waver is supposed to be signed by the owner stating he knew the unit was unsafe and would not hold the dealer or manufacturer responsible for any injuries.
If wavers actually did what they say they do,need for lawyers would drop 75%. Just 1 of millions of problems that could be solved by a simple waver if wavers were ligit. How bout a waver saying buyer will not hold dealer,mfgr nor anyone liable for injuries caused by mower without RIO?