How to make a 12' to 15' light post?

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #1  

Rock Crawler

Veteran Member
Tractor
2021 Kubota L3560 HSTC, 2011 Craftsman Excellerator GT (680hrs), 2018 Husqvarna TS354XD, 2017 Husqvarna HU800AWD, 2019 Kawasaki Mule Pro DX (Yanmar)
I purchased some solar LED 300W street lights to place along my driveway. What I did not think of was how to get a post to mount them to. I saw some Youtube videos where people tried 4x4 posts and they said that a 16' 4x4 stuck 3' into the ground with concrete swayed like the dickens in wind with these lights mounted.

I have tried Amazon and Google to find say 12'-18' steel posts, but my fail has been consistent and enduring.

Do any of you folks have an idea for an affordable and functional street light posts?

The lights I ordered:

300W Solar Street Light, 2 Light Set Motion Sensor Dusk to Dawn 15000LM Solar Lights Outdoor with Remote Control

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #4  
I've come up with a couple of old utility poles. Cut to 20' above ground and whatever you want 2, 3, 4 feet below ground. Auger or dig the hole, use the FEL to stand them up, backfill the hole.

I mount a big U hook and a pulley to the top and string steel cable before I set them upright. Then use 1" EMT conduit to mount the lamp unit itself. Rig up a hinge at the bottom and use the cable to hoist it into place. Makes it easy to pull down for service later.

They ain't purdy though if you're going for appearance.

How are the four mounting holes in that bracket spaced? Will they take a U bolt to go around the conduit?

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #5  
   / How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #6  
Get some 2 3/8" pipe. Cut an 8' piece to concrete in ground. Blow a 3/4" hole @ 5' or so, cross ways both sides. Then you can take a 20' piece and blow holes cross ways at @ 5'. Put a bolt through it and use as a hinge. Then you can let it down to fiddle with the light if you need to. In 1978 we set a 65' antenna at our house. It has two pipes on bottom with one hinging in the middle. It's still there. We'd tie it to the truck bumper to work on it, using the truck to let down and stand it up. It had a rotator on it that needed attention periodically. We'd let it down on a 6' ladder to keep antenna off the ground. We could get ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, and Super 7 out of Little Rock. That was big time back in them days. Considering 20 miles from here is Louisiana.

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #7  
You live in Pittsburgh it shouldn't be very hard to find a steel supplier local to you. They should have steel pipe available and may even have someone on site that can fabricate any mounting points or wire access holes you need.

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #8  
^^^ You haven't seen the price of pipe lately, have you?

Although, maybe a scrap yard might have a few pieces of round or square tubing in a long enough lengths. I got a 16' piece of 1" round bar for $10 not too long ago.

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #9  
Many years ago, I was doing some radio tower work. The owner wanted a horizontal antenna mounted on a 5" pipe mast.
He got the pipe from a fencing company. It was galvanized 5". They might have 3". That pipe was 20 or 21 feet in length. And steel is high today, but so is everything else. Don't know it that would work for what you wanted. I have a camera mounted on a wooding beam I built and stood up - 18 feet. It is hard to work on that camera, unless you have room to use the tractor bucket to get at it.

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #10  
Many years ago, I was doing some radio tower work. The owner wanted a horizontal antenna mounted on a 5" pipe mast.
He got the pipe from a fencing company. It was galvanized 5". They might have 3". That pipe was 20 or 21 feet in length. And steel is high today, but so is everything else. Don't know it that would work for what you wanted. I have a camera mounted on a wooding beam I built and stood up - 18 feet. It is hard to work on that camera, unless you have room to use the tractor bucket to get at it.
Fencing posts might not be a bad idea. A friend of mine and I built a little league diamond and we used something like that for the backstops. They had nice caps available, too.