Hydraulics Piping Questions

/ Hydraulics Piping Questions #1  

mmranch

Gold Member
Tractor
TYM T603
Imagine the steel piping which goes to a simple hydraulic gear pump which has an inlet and an outlet.

The inlet pipe is approximately 1 1/4" in diameter. The outlet pipe is approximately 3/4" in diameter.

The inlet pipe comes from the transmission & filter to the pump. About 2' before the pump, the inlet pipe has a 2" gap in the steel pipe. This gap is joined together with a rubber hose. (This gap is there to provide some flex to the pipe when attaching it to the hydraulic pump).

The outlet pipe comes from the outlet of the pump and goes to the PTO block with hydraulic pressure. This steel pipe is unbroken between the pump and the PTO block.

My question is... would there be any problem with cutting this outlet pipe and joining it back together with a short hose section? Say a 4"- 6" hose section over a break in the pipe of 1"?

Thanks for any ideas!

/ Hydraulics Piping Questions #2  
As long as you use a hose and couplings rated for the pressure, flow, and temperature of the pump it should suffice.

I saw a spec sheet online that listed the tym 603 hydraulic pressure at 2000 psi.

If I was experimenting with installing a hose I would start out with a braided hose rated at 2500 psi minimum and using at least two t-bolt type band clamps on each end.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulics Piping Questions
Thanks for the ideas!

It sounds like I would need to make the cut ends of the pipes into some sort of flared compression fittings or something (not sure of the proper terminology) so that a hydraulic hose could be attached to each pipe end? (I haven't made compression fittings before).

Thanks again.

/ Hydraulics Piping Questions #4  
You can simply use hydraulic compression fittings, then the hard line goes on one side of the fitting and the hose on the other.

There are these fittings that doesn't need flare. You simply push the hardline on the fitting till it bottoms out and tighten the nut and you're all set up. Don't even need to go too crazy on the torque of the nut.

1655748363055.png

/ Hydraulics Piping Questions #5  
I’d be tempted to replace the entire hard line with a hose.

/ Hydraulics Piping Questions #6  
Do NOT use clamps to keep 2500psi of pressure contained!! The bite type fittings that PTSG recommended work fine just retighten after a few heat cycles. go with fnpt or mjic and make a short jumper hose rated for the pressure. CJ

/ Hydraulics Piping Questions
Thanks very much to all for this hydraulic fitting info! I will look into what I need to do this.

Thanks again.

/ Hydraulics Piping Questions #8  
Keep in mind the pressure, it could be up to 2500PSI... I would replace pipe with exact replacement part or a high pressure hose with proper connector/fitting on it, patching it with something as simple as putting in a section of hose and a few hose clamps is going to be a disaster ... Also keep in mind inlet to pump is probably a suction line there for not requiring high pressure pipe/hose....

EDIT TO ADD:.... Don't see any reason or need to cut outlet pipe if undamaged... You need to better explain why you would want to do this....

Last edited:
   / Hydraulics Piping Questions #9  
You cannot just use hose and clamps on high pressure hydraulics.

Hose fittings need crimped, and tubing either needs flared, brazed/welded, or a compression/swagelock fitting.

Pictures would be worth a thousand words

/ Hydraulics Piping Questions #10  
Imagine the steel piping which goes to a simple hydraulic gear pump which has an inlet and an outlet.

The inlet pipe is approximately 1 1/4" in diameter. The outlet pipe is approximately 3/4" in diameter.

The inlet pipe comes from the transmission & filter to the pump. About 2' before the pump, the inlet pipe has a 2" gap in the steel pipe. This gap is joined together with a rubber hose. (This gap is there to provide some flex to the pipe when attaching it to the hydraulic pump).

The outlet pipe comes from the outlet of the pump and goes to the PTO block with hydraulic pressure. This steel pipe is unbroken between the pump and the PTO block.

My question is... would there be any problem with cutting this outlet pipe and joining it back together with a short hose section? Say a 4"- 6" hose section over a break in the pipe of 1"?

Thanks for any ideas!
I can't help but ask why do you feel the need to do this? Is there damage to the tube?