How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt?

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt?
An old car hood works good for a rock sled.
Don't have one of those lying around but I imagine they might be easy to get. That and some chain sounds like a solid build although I suspect that would introduce a lot more friction compared to a stone boat which is basically a sled. You only have those runners touching the ground.

Here is another good picture for reference. The excavator is a 18K lb Takeuchi TB290 (https://www.takeuchi-us.com/tb290-specs-and-dimensions/). That stone on the ground is one of the larger ones I've unearths although there are some larger ones I do not have pictures of. Those got pushed with this machine once I got them out of the ground.

1655896466461.png

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #33  
Don't have one of those lying around but I imagine they might be easy to get. That and some chain sounds like a solid build although I suspect that would introduce a lot more friction compared to a stone boat which is basically a sled. You only have those runners touching the ground.

Stone boat.... OK. Great idea!
I wonder what a purpose-built stone boat would look like? My guess is it would look a lot like a 50's vintage car hood. Lots of surface area, rounded edges, durable metal, reinforced edges, and hinge points to attach chains. A seriously ugly implement, though.
rScotty

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #34  
Just make sure you're not getting a hood from a Tesla. Might not work.

When the last VW Beatles got retired, many roofs got cut off and used as sleds.

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #35  
9k lbs for a 50 hp tractor? I think mine will be around 7500-7600 lbs. 4K for the tractor. Another 1400 for bucket and loader. Another 1200 for the backhoe and then another 900-1000 for the ballast in the tires. Most of the rocks are well under the 4K mark but there are those special ones that pop up from time to time.

It weighs 6300 on the scale with nothing on the back, and no implement on the front (just the loader arms). So, when i run a 2k pound counterweight, and 700 pound bucket, it's right around 9k. It'll vary a little bit depending on what's on it.

Looking at the pictures you're posting, I would be able to lift most of those, and easily roll the ones I couldn't lift. Your tractor is more similar to mine than different.

I've never monkeyed with a stone sled, pulleys, etc. I think all you'll need is a machine with a grapple. If you don't already own a grapple, I'd recommend getting one that's as narrow and light as you can. Less stress on loader arms, and more weight capacity for your load instead of the implement. I run the single lid EA grapple at 54".

Stone boat.... OK. Great idea!
I wonder what a purpose-built stone boat would look like? My guess is it would look a lot like a 50's vintage car hood. Lots of surface area, rounded edges, durable metal, reinforced edges, and hinge points to attach chains. A seriously ugly implement, though.
rScotty
But do you really want lots of surface area?

It weighs 6300 on the scale with nothing on the back, and no implement on the front (just the loader arms). So, when i run a 2k pound counterweight, and 700 pound bucket, it's right around 9k. It'll vary a little bit depending on what's on it.

Looking at the pictures you're posting, I would be able to lift most of those, and easily roll the ones I couldn't lift. Your tractor is more similar to mine than different.

I've never monkeyed with a stone sled, pulleys, etc. I think all you'll need is a machine with a grapple. If you don't already own a grapple, I'd recommend getting one that's as narrow and light as you can. Less stress on loader arms, and more weight capacity for your load instead of the implement. I run the single lid EA grapple at 54".
No grapple yet. I've been 'grappling' with which one to get. Part of me says a skeleton/rock grapple since I do have a fair number of small rocks, roots and twigs to clean up. Another part of me says go with a root grapple and a separate skeleton/rock bucket. Then there is the choice of single or dual lids. Like the dual lids but those are sometimes only found on larger grapples.

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #39  
   / How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #40  
I need to push some fairly large rocks around. I've was able to push many of them with a 70 hp mini excavator with a blade but I am wondering what I can do with a 60 hp tractor. I'm guessing the weight of the equipment and it being able to maintain traction is probably part of the equation.

Throwing this in as a reference
View attachment 750989
How far away are you going with these rocks?
I'd pick my battles (rock size) between the excavator and the tractor keeping in mind that the tractor loader is more of a farm chore tool and if there's an excavator sitting there....