sharpening mower blades

/ sharpening mower blades #41  
Nice set up m7040.

Use belt grinder to bevel and blunt the edges. Easy to remove metal without getting blade too hot. Sharpen Gator G5 blades once/twice a year. Yards, berry patches and orchard. Fall mulch leaves down my 1/2 mile gravel green tunnel driveway.
A belt grinder is ideal for sharpening. Looked at those knife belt grinder with 96 inch long belts. very cool

/ sharpening mower blades #42  
A "shearing" action requires a double blade like a scissors and typically both edges are very sharp like stamping die to get a good clean cut not a drawn out one. The other option is the old reel type lawnmower but I do not think that is what we are talking about here. Since there is only a whirling blade I do not understand your explanation.
I do agree that a blunted edge will hold up better but you can do the same with a sharp edge and mow a few times - the grass will wear them round. - the longer I go between sharpenings the rounder they get and the more the blade is beating it off instead of slicing it off. So again - why blunt it - do you think the square edge with a small face provides for less wear?
No it doesn't...The lift caused by the air foil on the mower blades hold the grass blades in a vertical position so the mower blade can shear them off...don't confuse the word shear (one definition: CUT) with "shears" i.e., scissors etc...
Grass is much softer than sand (i.e., silica etc.) that gets sucked up from the vacuum created by the blades...
...The sandier the soil the harder it is on mower blades...especially in dry conditions...it can be like hitting the cutting edge of the blade with a sandblaster

/ sharpening mower blades #44  
Check out cutting disk on this machine.... It popped up on local yard sale site just today

View attachment 751517y...
I have one, used it a few times, cuts well but how often are there no rocks around the base of a small tree? Seems like every time I used it, it hit something. But it did cut well if you can avoid them.

/ sharpening mower blades #45  
I can Fly with sharp blades and I use less fuel. They get a little dull and I notice it right off. Not noticing it, is a problem with one's situational awareness and demonstrates acute mental disability. Discourage people from relying on you for important things.
I have a problem with situational awareness. Just ask my wife...

/ sharpening mower blades #46  
If you are like me you prefer sharp mower blades. I like to sharpen them with each mow. So I cycle three sets of blades for my Ferris zero turn. But it's still a massive $#$&@&$#*% PITA~!!!!!!!!! I got these great grinder disks from PFERD, They are fabulous I got them in 2019 for my large and 4.5" grinders. I've done a lot of sharpening and mill scale removal and the disks I installed back then are still on my grinders. Unlike flap disks, if used correctly (Read Do not lean on them) they last forever and cut steel like butter. Anyway, I got a triton gizmo vice thing to do my grinding outside instead of the dusty shop. BUT STILL, it was a pita. Set the grinder down struggle to get the blade out of the vice flip it clamp it and bend over for the grinder.
Yah, I know modern problems; they built the pyramids with copper chisels and rocks lashed to sticks. Anyway I repurposed a hunk of a pallet to this and it's fast and easy. I did all three sets in like 15 minutes plus balancing Tools I made or purchased - The Axlotal Tank
I always sharpen them when the wife tells me. 🙃

/ sharpening mower blades #50  
I use the same setup.. All American blade sharpener guide... perfect 30 degree cutting edge in minutes, and same balancer, for very accurate balancing.

I've always sharpened my own blades, and my 1997 Woods 61" mower decak is still running the original blade spindles. That's 25 years without a spindle failure, and I just replaced the original belts and idler pulley bearings this Spring, only because one idler bearing finally failed, and they were sealed bearings, so no zerks.

Had a friend that did not believe in balancing blades, and had to replace a spindle or 2, every 3 or 4 years on his Husqvarna commercial mower.