Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #91  
$5.44 USD yesterday.
Converted CDN price to US is $7.60/gal for the last month.
Came down in Ontario a little over the weekend to $6.90/US gal.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #92  
I've just installed locking fuel caps on everything. My wife said what for and I replied that your Burb is a prime target sitting in a parking lot for a siphon job. Hopefully the perp don't puncture the tank, that would be expensive to replace.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #94  
I've just installed locking fuel caps on everything. My wife said what for and I replied that your Burb is a prime target sitting in a parking lot for a siphon job. Hopefully the perp don't puncture the tank, that would be expensive to replace.
Living on a country where fuel theft is a daily occurrence, I'll say right away, nothing will stop them. If it's locked, they will drill the tank,get it that way and cause you a lot more expense.

If you happen to leave a piece of equipment anywhere, the next day you'll find an empty fuel tank. If you left the tank empty, you'll find the engine and hydraulic tank full of dirt, rock, trash, etc. All of that if they don't decide to steal batteries, starters, alternators, hydraulic valves, etc.

On truck stops, it's a complete mess all over Europe with thieves stealing fuel when the driver is resting.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #95  
By the liter up there, correct?
Yup.
Was $2.03/L for a month or so but Provincial government reduced the tax a little so we're down to $1.83/L or so.
FYI, roughly 4.5L to a gallon

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #96  
Yup.
Was $2.03/L for a month or so but Provincial government reduced the tax a little so we're down to $1.83/L or so.
FYI, roughly 4.5L to a gallon
That is 4.5 litres to an Imperial gallon. To a U.S. gallon it is more like 4 litres.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #97  
We installed "Cat Shield" on the Prius because my wife works in a hospital where there has been 6 catalytic converters stolen in less than two months.

Until the rules for scrapping catalytic converters changes or we change the EPA requirements for them theft will continue. We know there won't be any changes in punishing the offenders.

Locking fuel caps can be a bad idea. Newer tanks are plastic and thieves will simply stab a screwdriver through it and drain fuel into bucket.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #98  
At least with a plastic tank U can use a sheet metal screw and leather or rubber and plug the leak hole.
Kind of difficult to weld a patch on metal tanks however.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts
Hospitals are prime targets because many have other things on their mind and may be totally unfamiliar with the area...

We had an entire family with little kids and momma in a folding chair while dad was changing a tire...

Well, what they actually did was swap out all 4 tires/rims with the Toyota next to them...

Several even asked if they needed help or the auto club...

Friendly as can be $2,000 theft in tires and rims and left crappy rusty steel rims and bald tires... missing lug nuts.

The employee owner shift over and got in car put in reverse and rim fell off...

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #100  
Ha… sounds like christmas vacation……

B3CDD69A-252B-42A8-9169-37F3D9D3C000.jpeg