wood oil based stain/preservatives?

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives? #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
I'm looking for a quality wood stain/preservative thas is oil based with UV protection that will last. Seems most manufacturers are swticting to water based which I don't like. What are you using? Whats still out there that is oil based?

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives? #2  
Water-based paints, stains and preservatives have come a long way in the past 30 years. I now consider these products far superior to any oil based products I once used.

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives? #3  
Water-based paints, stains and preservatives have come a long way in the past 30 years. I now consider these products far superior to any oil based products I once used.
Any brand recommendations? I'm going to follow along since I'm getting ready to do my deck...

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives? #4  
i too was an oil based advocate till about 15 yrs ago. Olympic & Cabot are my go to water based sources. i always go w/solid full pigment for uv protection, & the premium grade. is your deck new or prior stained....if new, let it cure at least several months before finishing...if the ladder, surface prep is the key. guess you know that. regards

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives? #5  
Any brand recommendations? I'm going to follow along since I'm getting ready to do my deck...
The last deck stain I used was Cabot "Deck Correct". This was thick and filled cracks and holes well and locked down splinters. This was put over an old 30 year old repurposed deck that had been sitting out in the weather for years. Low smell, fast dry and water clean up. It required 2 coats but is very skid resistant.

For my wood siding and trim I use a flat acrylic latex and it is tough and has held up well. Don't buy cheap paints or stains. Buy Quality.

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / wood oil based stain/preservatives? #6  
I'll second Doofy, I've used them all over the past 30 years on my cedar siding and larch decks. Cabot is absolutely the best I've found.

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives?
I'm still looking for a quality wood stain/preservative that is oil based with UV protection that will last. I have been using high dallor, modern chemicals that don't last long.

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives? #8  
I'm still looking for a quality wood stain/preservative that is oil based with UV protection that will last. I have been using high dallor, modern chemicals that don't last long.
Try Cabot. They also carry quality Oil Based products with fortified UV protections.

/ wood oil based stain/preservatives? #9  
Cabot does make a few linseed oil based stains. Their ATO Australian timber oil, and their 3400 series. The ATO at lowes is not the same its water based. Also another brand called Penofin, and Ready Seal all oil based

Last edited:
   / wood oil based stain/preservatives? #10  
Try the Cabots Australian Timber oil (not the water based) it is without a doubt the best I've come across. If you want a proving ground for wood treatments in wet environments we got it.

Last edited: