1/2" to 3/8" NPT reducer

/ 1/2" to 3/8" NPT reducer #1  

drumminj

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
Apologies if this is a silly or simple question...I bought a hydraulic top link and a hose kit for it with 1/2" pioneer couplers from AgristoreUSA. Didn't realize/think to measure the coupler size on my remotes, which appears to be 3/8", not 1/2".

I assume I can just get a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer bushing (hose is 3/8" but looks like a 1/2" NPT fitting on the end) to use and attach a 3/8" pioneer coupler on it?

Is there one anyone can recommend which can handle the expected pressure? Want to make sure I don't buy something not made for tractor hydraulics

Thanks!

/ 1/2" to 3/8" NPT reducer #2  
They make hydraulic rated parts for that. Regular pipe is not strong enough. You can get them at many TSC stores, or a hydraulics supplier, or some NAPA stores, or online through Discount Hydraulic Hose or Surplus Center.

Some would use a plumbing part for a reducer but I'd rather spend $0.50 more and get a part rated for the pressure. The hydraulic part's threads are also higher quality.

Don't use teflon tape. If a small piece gets into your valves it can clog them. I use LocTite 545, which is made for sealing hydraulic NPT threads.

/ 1/2" to 3/8" NPT reducer #3  
Apologies if this is a silly or simple question...I bought a hydraulic top link and a hose kit for it with 1/2" pioneer couplers from AgristoreUSA. Didn't realize/think to measure the coupler size on my remotes, which appears to be 3/8", not 1/2".

I assume I can just get a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer bushing (hose is 3/8" but looks like a 1/2" NPT fitting on the end) to use and attach a 3/8" pioneer coupler on it?

Is there one anyone can recommend which can handle the expected pressure? Want to make sure I don't buy something not made for tractor hydraulics

Thanks!
We use hardware store pipe fittings on our dump trucks, loaders, log loader s, tree cutters, skidders, and half a dozen tractors plus implements. We have some towable implements, 16' disc and 8' offset disc, dirt mover, etc... So if anybody has anything to say to me about pipe fittings, I have an ear full for them.

/ 1/2" to 3/8" NPT reducer #4  
There are lots of places and scenarios in typical farm tractor etc. hydraulics where typical pipe fittings will suffice...especially on the low pressure/ return sides of a circuit...BUT...
There are also places and scenarios where say a crappy cast fitting possible imperfections that could fail under high pressure and possibly cause severe injuries...

IMO...using hardware not designed for high pressures (where failure could cause injuries) is a serious liability risk...

/ 1/2" to 3/8" NPT reducer
They make hydraulic rated parts for that. Regular pipe is not strong enough. You can get them at many TSC stores, or a hydraulics supplier, or some NAPA stores, or online through Discount Hydraulic Hose or Surplus Center.

Some would use a plumbing part for a reducer but I'd rather spend $0.50 more and get a part rated for the pressure. The hydraulic part's threads are also higher quality.

Don't use teflon tape. If a small piece gets into your valves it can clog them. I use LocTite 545, which is made for sealing hydraulic NPT threads.

Thanks. Surprisingly, going from 1/2" female to 3/8" male seems to make it an extension/increase connector rather than a reducer, like seen here: SS-5405-06-08 | 3/8" NPTF Male x 1/2" NPTF Female (Stainless).

I guess NPTF and non-stainless are okay in this situation (just use thread sealant)?

/ 1/2" to 3/8" NPT reducer #6  
I'm not a fan of NPT for hydraulics but in this case it's the right thing. I don't know what plating they use on these fittings but all the ones I have bought still look as new.

/ 1/2" to 3/8" NPT reducer #7  
Everyone is comparing fittings from various sources. Pipe thread is pipe thread regardless where you buy it. What you need to be aware of is different thread type and pitch. Various 3/8, 1/2,3/4 sizes will screw togeather but if not same type and pitch will not seal or even worse will bust when tightened. Do yourself a favor and buy the parts from a place that build's hose or otherwise deals in hydraulics.

/ 1/2" to 3/8" NPT reducer
Thanks all. Turns out it's actually 1/2" BSP thread, but I've got the fittings needed on order.

/ 1/2" to 3/8" NPT reducer #10  
We use hardware store pipe fittings on our dump trucks, loaders, log loader s, tree cutters, skidders, and half a dozen tractors plus implements. We have some towable implements, 16' disc and 8' offset disc, dirt mover, etc... So if anybody has anything to say to me about pipe fittings, I have an ear full for them.
You can you water pipe fittings for high pressure lines, however you will potentially have increased failures. High pressure fittings have tighter tolerances, and better quality control. The biggest issue is liability. Lawyers can get pretty excited about using low pressure fittings for high pressure applications. If its your own stuff then feel free to, the risk of using a water pipe fitting on a top link or little 8' disc is minimal. However personally I would not use it on a loader or something that does overhead lifting. If your doing work for a business, I would not use anything that was not rated for the pressure due to liability, the cost of a fitting is much less than the cost of losing a lawsuit.

Last edited: