Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #11  
Everyone has different needs, different circumstances, and different time frames.
Simple math would dictate that renting would be substantially less ($6500 approx savings) than buying the BH.

A con with renting is being limited to a very specific time frame. Then take into consideration of weather.... say you rent it for the weekend, the weather turns bad on the first day, now your out the time and some of the rental.

Having your own BH, you could do an hour or two whenever you want. No rush, having 'fun' while your making your improvements. Then other projects may arise that you would be glad that you had a BH.

Selling it later, yes it would take time and you will "loose" some of your investment. IMHO, if you buy a BH, plan on keeping the BH. Selling the tractor with the BH, would be a better plan overall.

Your situation could be different, but here renting equipment, you have to plan on an additional day to be used just to pick up and return the rental equipment. It takes 3-4 hours just to pick up a rental here... if what you need is available.

For my particular situation, buying the BH was far more beneficial to what needed to be done. I could come home from work and do some work even if it was for only an hour. We had a waterline break.... I had it dug up and repaired before I would have even gotten back from picking up a rental.

I have used my BH far more than I ever thought I would. It has paid for itself a couple times over if I had to contract out the work I have done. At this point, rental cost would be about the same as buying if I had rented each time I used my BH.

Will it sit for a while in between uses? Yes. Will it be nice to have "at the ready" ? Yes. Will you use it for more than you are planning? Probably.
Will it be worth it to you? --- only you can decide on that.

Last edited:
   / Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #12  
However, I'm fairly set on buying at least the new tractor at this point, and I would not have the budget to buy the tractor and the excavator.
Then buy the tractor, but plan on renting the excavator at least once or so to do the bulk of the pond work.

Also plan on actually keeping the loader. Because you most likely will unless upgrading tractors later.

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #13  
Has anybody tried a dirt pan for this kind of digging a large open area?

Shop Online | Price Brothers Equipment Company

Product - Dirt Pan

No idea what they cost, but they've got to be less than a BH.

I can't see where either a BH or Ex would be the best tool. Any time I've seen a pond dug, it was with a dozer.

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #14  
Thanks for all the replies so far. I agree that the excavator is the right tool for the job. However, I'm fairly set on buying at least the new tractor at this point, and I would not have the budget to buy the tractor and the excavator. Even if I just bought the excavator, in my price range I would be looking at one with at least 1000 hr on it, and not sure I want to deal with it potentially needing repairs.

I think my preference is the tractor with backhoe mainly because it would be a new machine with a warranty, and I would have the convenience of working on the project as my schedule allows, even if it takes me longer overall. I just want to get a feel for how much lose I would take selling the backhoe after a year or two of use.
Consider getting a quote on the next size tractor up ck3510. On ten acres it will shrink in size. Also you would then be able to add the kb2475l which has full 180 bucket rotation and swing (makes a difference) more reach and power.

Or as rScotty suggested check out a new or used Kubota b26…that would be a great choice also…small in size with more power and heavier build. IMO, having use of a small BH there is always something to use it for on the spur of the moment vs renting. I wound up buying a second larger tractor for implements as I leave the BH on the Kubota all the time as a loader and BH work together well.

Good luck on your search, whatever you decide you will enjoy!

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #15  
Even if I just bought the excavator, in my price range I would be looking at one with at least 1000 hr on it, and not sure I want to deal with it potentially needing repairs.
A mini-x with 1000 hours is nearing breakin. My mini has a 5 year warranty. If they have been cared for ... should last many more hours.

Bought it new and with prices going the way they are.... would be able to sell it for what I paid.

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #16  
I can only give you my opinion, but I cheaped out on my purchase and decided last minute against the backhoe. I wish I did not.

But a pond excavation was not on my list of projects and I don't think that would be an ideal tool.

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #17  
Your profile says Troy, if it is the Geauga county Troy that where we are from and I can tell you from experience of digging there to rent an excavator. I always rent out of pa from M&R power equipment they deliver for free and you don’t have to clean it t to send it back cheapest place around

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #18  
A mini-x with 1000 hours is nearing breakin. My mini has a 5 year warranty. If they have been cared for ... should last many more hours.

Bought it new and with prices going the way they are.... would be able to sell it for what I paid.
"1000 hrs nearing breakin" - what make are you looking at. I have seen and run Kubotas with 4000+hr without any major issues other than replacing worn tracks. I have 550 hrs on my Mini and everything works like new - now I will say some of the overseas junk may not last 1000 hrs but any quality machine should have NO problems at that point in its life unless abused.

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #19  
"1000 hrs nearing breakin" - what make are you looking at. I have seen and run Kubotas with 4000+hr without any major issues other than replacing worn tracks. I have 550 hrs on my Mini and everything works like new - now I will say some of the overseas junk may not last 1000 hrs but any quality machine should have NO problems at that point in its life unless abused.
I believe he meant 'is only nearing break in', not that it was 'near breaking'.

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #20  
That could be.....