Giving up on my flail and shopping for a rotary cutter.

/ Giving up on my flail and shopping for a rotary cutter. #1  

Skramps

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1526
This is an aside to my question but I bought an old Mott flail last year from a scrapyard thinking I could fix it. I got it operational but it had such a violent vibration that I could only run it at idle or it felt like something would break. It came down to a warped cuttershaft. New ones are stupid expensive. I cut my losses and am moving on.
With that being said and having used it a few times for some small chores on my property I think a rotary cutter would be more useful. I want the ability to get underneath my crabapple trees and a row of multi flora rose that I keep confined as a privacy hedge. I think the reach of a rotary cutter would work great for these. I’ve been eyeing a RhinoAg TM15, EA’s Fred Cain 60”, and a Titan Implement 60” cutter. The RhinoAg and the Titan I can source locally from dealers but would need to order the EA cutter. Does anyone have any specific experience with any of these or a better recommendation?

/ Giving up on my flail and shopping for a rotary cutter. #2  
Have you tried getting the rotor shaft fixed? A competent drive line shop should be able to straighten it and also add counter weights to it to remove any vibrations. In fact, that might be all you are missing are the appropriate weights.

It's no different than a drive shaft on a truck.

/ Giving up on my flail and shopping for a rotary cutter.
I called a few in my area and they didn't want anything to do with non-vehicle stuff. I may try and look around some more because that's a good point about maybe just missing balancing weights.

/ Giving up on my flail and shopping for a rotary cutter. #4  
Try looking for dynamic balancing, rather than just a driveline shop. The kind of place that does heavy machining on industrial pumps, and rotors. While I was working on my Mott, I found a place here in NJ that does some big stuff, and I have no doubt they could have handled a little 6' flail shaft based on the photos they have posted... Mine was arrow straight, amazingly, so I didn't bother with the balancing. I'm sure it would have been a good choice, but I needed to stop the cash outflow, and make sure the mower was what I wanted first. I have an unnerving shake at mid-rpm, so I make it a quick move from stopped to 540, and I keep it on the ground during that phase. Once it's going, it's just fine.

/ Giving up on my flail and shopping for a rotary cutter.
Try looking for dynamic balancing, rather than just a driveline shop. The kind of place that does heavy machining on industrial pumps, and rotors. While I was working on my Mott, I found a place here in NJ that does some big stuff, and I have no doubt they could have handled a little 6' flail shaft based on the photos they have posted... Mine was arrow straight, amazingly, so I didn't bother with the balancing. I'm sure it would have been a good choice, but I needed to stop the cash outflow, and make sure the mower was what I wanted first. I have an unnerving shake at mid-rpm, so I make it a quick move from stopped to 540, and I keep it on the ground during that phase. Once it's going, it's just fine.

That’s good information. I’ll take a look. There has to be something like that in my area

/ Giving up on my flail and shopping for a rotary cutter. #6  
Here is a video of a guy making his own.

At about the 9 minute mark he balances the rotor

/ Giving up on my flail and shopping for a rotary cutter. #7  
This is an aside to my question but I bought an old Mott flail last year from a scrapyard thinking I could fix it. I got it operational but it had such a violent vibration that I could only run it at idle or it felt like something would break. It came down to a warped cuttershaft. New ones are stupid expensive. I cut my losses and am moving on.
With that being said and having used it a few times for some small chores on my property I think a rotary cutter would be more useful. I want the ability to get underneath my crabapple trees and a row of multi flora rose that I keep confined as a privacy hedge. I think the reach of a rotary cutter would work great for these. I’ve been eyeing a RhinoAg TM15, EA’s Fred Cain 60”, and a Titan Implement 60” cutter. The RhinoAg and the Titan I can source locally from dealers but would need to order the EA cutter. Does anyone have any specific experience with any of these or a better recommendation?

Would be a shame to lose the money you already spent on the flail but a rotary cutter is certainly much easier and cheaper to maintain...

/ Giving up on my flail and shopping for a rotary cutter. #9  
Brown 415. You will never buy another 5 foot cutter. Usually require a 20 week wait time although we just bought another one AgPro had in stock in their system. With chains $4200

/ Giving up on my flail and shopping for a rotary cutter. #10  
I have worked on alot of alamo mowers. I wouldnt even remove it from the machine to try and balance it. Just take off all the blades and belt. Spin it and typicaly the heavy/low spot always goes to the bottom. Tack weld some weight on the top then spin it again. The cost of a name brand 240v welder is even cheaper than a new rotory cutter. Not to mention that flail mowers leave a far better and more complete cut.

Alamo/Mott mowers are prety popular in the municipality mowing operation and I bet you can get your money back for it.
What's your location?