Agvg

Elite Member
Tractor
Mf135, Ursus C-355, David Brown 995
Just a pic of a field close to my home
IMG_20220712_163720_1.jpg
IMG_20220712_164050_1.jpg

/ Bailing on steep fields #6  
We do some crazy steep stuff. Other guys don’t have the balz to do it.

1657664666897.jpeg

^^^^^
At the bottom of this steep hill is a 10’ drop off into a 2 lane road. There’s no flat area to make a headland or turn around.

Below: This hill has you hanging on pretty tight. Feels like the baler could tip and “gator roll” the tractor and me with it.

1657665143342.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Bailing on steep fields #7  
Hay dude
Are those big square balers as top heavy as they look? I have only been up close to one and it sure looked like center of gravity would be way above the axles.

/ Bailing on steep fields #8  
   / Bailing on steep fields #9  
Hay dude
Are those big square balers as top heavy as they look? I have only been up close to one and it sure looked like center of gravity would be way above the axles.
they’re pretty stable. The Hesston is very basic. It rides on 2 huge balloon tires and it sticks pretty good on hills. Its only about 24,000lbs.
The Krone is much heavier-about 38,000lbs. It has a steering axle in back and a fixed axle on the front. Both axles have brakes. When you run along a hill, the back axle tends to let the back end of the baler angle downhill if it’s unlocked. I think I will start locking the rear axle along hill sides.

/ Bailing on steep fields #10  
Round bales could become projectiles quick
Oh yeah. When I help bring in the rounds for my friends in Pyengana, a number of fields are like this.

I typically do the 'fetch and carry' job with my little (compared to theirs) 4105; there's a LOT to be aware of when doing that. First there's the slope and 'angle of attack' of picking up the round, you have to back down the hill to the collection area. BUT you also have to be aware of where the baler is and if it's ejecting a new round... because if that round starts rolling you need to figure out where it's going and calculate/make sure you get out of its way!

Fun stuff.