What they said isn't what you heard

/ What they said isn't what you heard #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Probably everyone has seen the lists of song lyrics people get wrong. What else have you misheard?

When I was a wee lad, I watched as my father and his friend tore the engine apart on a 9N Ford. I was wondering how they could remember where everything went when it came time to put it back together, until his friend asked my father if he had any memory cloth. That sounded like an essential item to me, except it was something they should have had BEFORE tearing it apart.

Of course they were talking about emery cloth, for cleaning parts.

This could go one of three ways.
-It could die a quick death.
-It could turn into a fun thread.
-Or it could be shut down because people got political.

Hopefully it will be one of the first two. ;)

/ What they said isn't what you heard #3  
My hearing comprehension is damaged, so I'll hear the wrong thing rather often. What tends to save me is that what I hear wrong I tend to hear very wrong, to the point it makes no sense in the context.

/ What they said isn't what you heard #4  
My wife is always mad at me for not hearing her. Finally a few years ago she made me get a comprehensive hearing test, When the doctor was explaining about my hearing loss I stopped her to get my wife. The doctor told her that if she was in another room or the tv was on that I would have a lot of trouble hearing her. She still tells me I do not listen to her.

/ What they said isn't what you heard
My wife is always mad at me for not hearing her. Finally a few years ago she made me get a comprehensive hearing test, When the doctor was explaining about my hearing loss I stopped her to get my wife. The doctor told her that if she was in another room or the tv was on that I would have a lot of trouble hearing her. She still tells me I do not listen to her.
My brother was deaf in one ear from a childhood illness. He would intentionally "turn a deaf ear" to something which he didn't want to hear. More often though he was very obvious about it to be a smart aleck, when we were all joking around.

/ What they said isn't what you heard #6  
Moxie
I can relate since audiologist told my wife he can’t hear you and like you said I get blamed for ignoring her.

When my youngest was 4 or 5 years old my wife took him to the dentist for check up and he wasn’t being real cooperative. So dental assitant said to my son “ them are some nice work boots you have on” my son replied them ain’t boots thems **** kickers… needless to say I got blamed for that too..

/ What they said isn't what you heard #7  
When I was a little boy my family and I had come home from Grandma's house early at night. As we all got out of the car my Dad said to my Mom "I am going to shoot down to Stars". He was talking about driving down to a department store called Stars in Wallingford.

Everyone headed into the house except for my Dad and I. He looked at me and told me to go inside. I protested and told him I was waiting for him to get his hunting rifle so I could watch him shoot down a star. I wanted a piece of it when it fell.

/ What they said isn't what you heard #8  
Lady hurriedly pulled into the full service gas station and asked the old man that met her at the pump "do you have a restroom I can use?" "No mam but I can blow it out with the air hose if you pull up to the next pump." Gas station attendants should always carry a whiskbroom in their hip pocket.

/ What they said isn't what you heard #9  
When I was a kid I always heard "a piece of tape" for adhesive tape. Made no sense once when my aunt was referring to something she'd repaired using a whole bunch of a piece of tape. :LOL:

Lots of regionalisms would qualify here (for example Brits referring to a cigarette as a f-g).

My brother was deaf in one ear from a childhood illness. He would intentionally "turn a deaf ear" to something which he didn't want to hear. More often though he was very obvious about it to be a smart aleck, when we were all joking around.
I've always had trouble comprehending conversations, especially in crowded rooms...don't seem to be able to filter out background noise/conversations. For whatever reason, my left ear is better in that regard, so I'll often turn my head to one side to favor it in those situations. I'll generally explain that I'm not being rude and looking away, just that I hear better on that side.

/ What they said isn't what you heard #10  
When using a contraction of 'it is not', I prefer 'it isn't' over 'it's not'.