Utility trailers - what should i know?

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
I used to own a small single axle utility trailer I bought for $300 from a former co-worker. It was just for hauling stuff to the dump. I have, then, basic experience with trailering, but I need more knowledge to find the right one.

I figured out I cannot afford a big trailer and the truck it would take to move my tractor. I need a smaller one that can haul purchases home like a SxS (2800 lbs +/-), attachments I may buy in the future, and to help move things around the property. (trailer will be moved by pickup, tractor and SxS). Minimum size will need to probably be 6'x 12'.

Things I need to know:
pros and cons, given my needs, of 1 axle vs 2 axles
Must-have features...I simply don't know what I don't know
Recommendations on manufacturers and retailers
Tires - is it worth getting upgraded tires for predominantly off-road uses?

Any other advice is welcome. I have 2-3 months to figure out what I need. Thanks!

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #2  
I’d buy a wood floor trailer. Expanded metal floors are garbage.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #3  
If you’re going to get a 2 axle trailer, you might as well go with a car hauler. We bought an 18’ car hauler with a metal deck 20 years ago. It weighs 1500# empty, and has two 3500# axles, for a 7000# total weight, which = a 5500# load capacity.

The nice thing about a metal deck is nothing falls through (sand, pea gravel), no wood to rot or break, and I can run the FEL bucket with teeth on it to scoop material without fear of damaging wood.

It’s low to the ground, so easy to step up on.

I built simple 2X12 side boards with 2x4 legs that slip into the stake pocket/tie down points. That allows me to bring home 2.5 tons of sand, rock, mulch, firewood, etc., or I can leave the sides boards off and use my forks to load/unload skids or materials from the sides.

The ramps store underneath it, and I can drive my tractor right up onto the trailer to unload/load materials as well, which is really handy.

It’s so light weight, my little machine can move it around our yard empty like nothing, and I can move it on my driveway with a full load on it, and flat spots in our yard.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #4  
A 16' tandem axle utility trailer is the best bang for the buck and you will see more in use than all other tongue pulls combined. At half the price of a car hauler what you will be giving up is; ability to haul some full size pick ups due to inside width (6' 5" ) between fenders and sides, limited ability to load/unload from side due to side rails. A 14' utility or car hauler is the same price as 16' but prefered by some who have limited parking. 18' and 20' cost 20-30% more but have additional cargo space and 2,500 addition gross weight. I'm in the minority in prefering LT tires over trailer tires but that is a discussion all it's own. Regardless of trailer from the smallest up to 12k gross, I prefer 16" tires for their availability and competive price.. Bull dog hitch and tongue jack is head and shoulders above others. If you will have farm tags,brakes aren't required starting at same weight as non farm (check TXDOT web site for size you decide to go with.) No registeration or inspection required for less than 4k lb farm use. Since you have time to shop and decide,nibble on that and we can go into specifics when you settle on a gross weight rating.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #5  
I recommend you go to a trailer build site and do some research. Economy trailers are just that, cheap. If you don't know what to look for, there can be all kinds of money saving quality issues. Poor paint, off brand axles, wide spaced crossmembers, poor lights and light weight angle iron frames.

This is a good build site. It gives you options and prices for them. It will give you a good idea of what you want in a trailer. Then look at some local trailers/brands to compare. If your plan is to tow it with a side x side, stay small. It sounds like your pickup is small also. You might consider a small dump trailer.

GDT - Diamond C Trailers

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #6  
Tough time to buy a trailer. Extremely over priced, but I have seen some recent prices drops.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #7  
I used to own a small single axle utility trailer I bought for $300 from a former co-worker. It was just for hauling stuff to the dump. I have, then, basic experience with trailering, but I need more knowledge to find the right one.

I figured out I cannot afford a big trailer and the truck it would take to move my tractor. I need a smaller one that can haul purchases home like a SxS (2800 lbs +/-), attachments I may buy in the future, and to help move things around the property. (trailer will be moved by pickup, tractor and SxS). Minimum size will need to probably be 6'x 12'.

Things I need to know:
pros and cons, given my needs, of 1 axle vs 2 axles
Must-have features...I simply don't know what I don't know
Recommendations on manufacturers and retailers
Tires - is it worth getting upgraded tires for predominantly off-road uses?

Any other advice is welcome. I have 2-3 months to figure out what I need. Thanks!
For what it's worth, I bought a dual axle "what we call lowboy" utility trailer.
There are many many considerations (as with everything) on how to pick. For me, I went dual axle because of the extra load it could carry and for the possibility of a single flat tire would not be a dead stop problem. Mine is a bulldog hitch, pipe top design with a wood floor. I went with the 16' model for max lumber length and cattle panels I haul. I purchased mine from Utility Trailers- Pipe Top.
Upgraded tires, brakes,... other options ? Well, depends on how much you are using it On Road. For off road, I personally would not spend the money for upgraded tires if most was off road.
Would I have gotten one with the metal fold down gate on back ? There are times I wish I had, mostly no. Bought a set ramps should I need them to load a wheeled something.
I went with the wood flooring. I wish I had chosen the pressure treated wood. My trailer stays out in the weather and I have had to replace the floor. Mostly just dry rot. It was a pain but now have pressure treated lumber.
Good Luck

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #9  
You can never have too many trailers. I have 3 Big Tex utility trailers - a 20' GN 12K, a 6'X14' 2 axle bumper pull 5K, and a 5'X8' single axle bumper pull 3.5K. The most used is the 14' trailer. It hauls hay, takes the ZTR and UTV to the shop, and stays hooked to the truck. The 20' GN is used to haul the smaller tractor and occasionally large loads of hay. The smaller trailer is my dedicated fuel trailer, the fuel pod holds 58 gallons of diesel with a 13' hose and pump.

The smallest tire I will have is the 15" on the 2 bumper pull trailers. They don't make a LT in that size so I use load range D ST tires. All are wood floors and have to be occasionally replaced.

1657718281621.jpeg