Utility trailers - what should i know?

/ Utility trailers - what should i know?
We have a B-T and wouldn't get another in fact its up for sale. Doolittle trailers are a good brand.
What's wrong with the Big Tex? Their HQ is not too far from our place.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #13  
What's wrong with the Big Tex? Their HQ is not too far from our place.

If you pay attention to the “hot shot” commercial haulers in the southeast U.S., you will notice that Big Tex is probably the dominant brand.

They make a very good quality trailer.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #14  
Tandem axle or single is a matter of how much weight you will ever need to haul (including trailer) - about 3500 single and 7000 tandem.
If you opt for a wood deck, you can still haul sand or materials by placing an old tarp under the load, then wrap it.

Get a few pockets and a rub rail outside the pockets. The pockets can be used for tie downs and stakes - the rub rail becomes tie down when you are staking the pockets.

I always prefer a "set back " jack for raising the coupler. As a note, the steel deck and wood deck seem to weigh close to the same. Anyway, did so on my trailer. LED light are a must. Buy them on the trailer or add them later.

Also remember, most states require brakes on both dual axles (over 5k) and singles do over 3K I think. There are a lot of people building trailers. There are not a lot of "good" trailers being made. See if they use certified welders. My trailer is a doolittle. It is quiet, tight and no broken welds.

And I agree with Moss - if tandem, may as well get into and equipment trailer. If 12' is minium, then 16 will work well for in the future. Good Luck

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #15  
It's worth mentioning that tandem axles reduce tongue weight thereby lending to atv towing. In light of so many mfgrs,I origionally refrained from reccomending a source but since others have,I'll weigh in. I recommend Happy Trailer Sales. They have multiple locations in Texas,Greenville,Paris and Waco being closest to you. If you decide you need a custom trailer,Car-Tex in Carthage is one of the oldest in East Texas. If you start entertaining a diy I have a couple of axle-frame-hitch platforms up toward Texhoma.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #16  
If you pay attention to the “hot shot” commercial haulers in the southeast U.S., you will notice that Big Tex is probably the dominant brand.

They make a very good quality trailer.
Ya we'll our little T quality trailer had no tie downs, zero. So I added them. The expanded metal on the ramp wasn't welded in enough spots so it just bent down from UTV's and ATV's going on and off. So I welded it on a bunch more. The 2x2 tubes the ramps was made for the lightest square tubes I'd ever seen and one broke. So you guessed it, I replaced it with a 1/8 wall. I've got more things to mention in the high quality department but that enough for now..

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #17  
Tough time to buy a trailer. Extremely over priced, but I have seen some recent prices drops.
I agree. Trailers like my 5x10 are selling for nearly 3X what I paid in 1999. And those are cheaper, lighter, 2000lb axle (mine is 3500lb).

OP, that is one thing i’d recommend - a 3500lb axle. Single 3500lb axle trailer will do 99% of what u need. Oh, and a good lang ramp-gate is essential too.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know?
I agree. Trailers like my 5x10 are selling for nearly 3X what I paid in 1999. And those are cheaper, lighter, 2000lb axle (mine is 3500lb).

OP, that is one thing i’d recommend - a 3500lb axle. Single 3500lb axle trailer will do 99% of what u need. Oh, and a good lang ramp-gate is essential too.
I saw some with one axle at 5000 or 7500. Better one strong one or 2 at 3500 each?

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #19  
I have a single axle 6x12 utility trailer, what can I say it works for what fits it.
It has the 1' sides and the tailgate ramp was non-removeable when I bought it,
it is easily removeable now. It is not a handy trailer to load or unload.
I usually use my nephews much bigger deckover for most things.
My lawn mower with a 72" deck will not fit the 6 ft trailer, my UTV does.
Any thing on a pallet or being loaded by a forklift is a pain with side rails.
I prefer a deckover for ease of loading and unloading.