Voltage Surge two days ago .

/ Voltage Surge two days ago . #11  
Couple months ago the next town over had a transformer blow, nothing but old age. It fried nearly everything with a dc motor that was plugged in. washers, dryers, ac, fridges, freezers and even whole house surge protectors. Blew through them all. And it did this for a few hundred homes. Major damage for thousands. It was a clear blue sky, and I was sitting in autozone when it happened trying to check out.

People on facebook complained for weeks about how they needed all new appliances, dealing with insurance, etc. It was a mess. Since then there have been a half dozen other transformers that have blown in the area but not taking any appliances out that I know of. But still 12-48hr without power.

Unlike anything I've ever seen or heard of before. I was fortunately not affected. I don't know what I would do if something took out my stuffed to the brim 24cu ft freezer.
Standby freezer, not plugged in?

/ Voltage Surge two days ago . #12  
It must be that the lightning here is not really that bad. I've had several strikes on the ancient Ponderosa pines - very near the house. So far - I've either seen/heard them coming and turned the TV & computer off or my surge protectors have done their job. Strange - I've never turned off the refrigerator, freezer, water heater, washer, dryer and not had any problems there.

I now knock on wood.

/ Voltage Surge two days ago . #13  
I live by the lake.. storms start and end here..
Lightning got my brand new 1400. frig./freezer last year..
Luckily there is an excellent “how to” on the web.. I was able to put in a new board and start solenoid in for less than $100.00..
It was a NO-GO for the washer tho.. computer board was N/A..