Latest grab by auto manufactures

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #61  
If you lock yourself out of your car, On Star can open it for you. Cell phone can’t without an app. And if you lock your phone and keys in the car, you can borrow someone else’s phone and call On Star to have them open if for you.

So there are advantages to On Star Vs a cell phone.
A spare key stashed will accomplish the same thing.

I have never locked myself out of a truck with a fob; it ensures that the key is in my hand when I lock it. Door buzzers are a different story; I am in, out, and around the truck so much that they are simply an annoyance and I instinctively pull and drop the keys before getting out. The last time I locked myself out I had about 1/2 hour to get where I was supposed to meet my boss; I walked down to the hardware store and said "What do you have for burglar tools?"
I bought a felling wedge and 4 foot piece of steel rod; it took about 10 minutes to get back into the truck. (I have AAA but didn't want to wait around for them.)

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #62  
When you get in a bad car accident, your phone goes flying and is of little use. On Star will detect the crash and call automatically.

When your car is stolen, your cell phone isn’t likely inside of it. On Star can locate your car quickly for police. It can also shut your car down in a controlled manner, so it basically slows down to a crawl.

It can also disable the ignition, so once it’s shut off, it can’t be restarted.

If you lock yourself out of your car, On Star can open it for you. Cell phone can’t without an app. And if you lock your phone and keys in the car, you can borrow someone else’s phone and call On Star to have them open if for you.

Mossy, all of these things are wonderful when the technology is used for those purposes, but all too often we are seeing these tools being abused and used against us. For example in Canada when the truck drivers protested government overreach, the found their bank accounts frozen and seized and their social media accounts locked. Do you really think it is that much of a stretch for a "dissident" to get locked out of their car as easily as being locked out of their bank account? We are already seeing too many abuses of our civil liberties for the "better good" by those who believe that the ends justify the means in obtaining their idea of Nirvana. I do not like handing that much control over my life and freedom to anyone.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #63  
When you get in a bad car accident, your phone goes flying and is of little use. On Star will detect the crash and call automatically.

When your car is stolen, your cell phone isn’t likely inside of it. On Star can locate your car quickly for police. It can also shut your car down in a controlled manner, so it basically slows down to a crawl.

I still remember having my new Canadian GMC truck in Chicago trying to use OnStar for the first time and getting the message "sorry cellular service unavailable"

Technology is great when you read the brochures.

I am sure the heated seats in your BMW are awesome if you paid for the subscription service that lets you turn them on. Or your 4 wheel steering on your Mercedes. I am sure some millennials will tell you subscription services are important because they bring you the best features for free.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #64  
Mossy, all of these things are wonderful when the technology is used for those purposes, but all too often we are seeing these tools being abused and used against us. For example in Canada when the truck drivers protested government overreach, the found their bank accounts frozen and seized and their social media accounts locked. Do you really think it is that much of a stretch for a "dissident" to get locked out of their car as easily as being locked out of their bank account? We are already seeing too many abuses of our civil liberties for the "better good" by those who believe that the ends justify the means in obtaining their idea of Nirvana. I do not like handing that much control over my life and freedom to anyone.
We also didn't grow up with all of the "conveniences"... heck, I even remember when I had to take my gas cap off before getting fuel.
The generation which is now assuming power did, and expect it. I'm sure there are things which I take for granted, but would have made my grandparents very unhappy.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #65  
For people that spend a large amount of their life in a car, onstar may be worth it. For me, I spend very little time in the car so it is wasted money. A VERY basic vehicle works great for me. Here are the onstar plans and prices:

Compare Plans & Prices for OnStar and Connected Services

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #66  
Anytime the product is free then you are the product. They collect and sell data that the device/software collects on you.
Paying for a product doesn't mean data isn't collected...

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #67  
I am in the people's republic of New Jersey I have a placard for a 20 year old vehicle that announces to any LEO who stops me that I no longer need inspections.
Good to know...

California froze inspection at year model 1976...

So 1975 and older no longer inspected.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #68  
Paying for a product doesn't mean data isn't collected...
True but I am referring to the "free" apps that corporations spend millions of dollars on. These are often reported to their shareholders as "additional revenue streams". They are not doing it out of kindness and generosity.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #69  
I can't wait for the first accidental shutdown while driving at 110 KPH or the seat warmer coming on a blistering summer day.
There's a channel I watch, the fella's got his own landscaping business. Just got a new 2022 Ford 350. Him and his wife were sitting in their living room late one night and the headlights come on by them self, the windows roll down by it's self, truck wouldn't shut off, backup camera wouldn't work all happening at different times. They, dealer, were supposed to replace the wiring harness and that was what he was told they were going to do when they left it at the dealer for replacement. They didn't, they 'repaired' it. My point...if the manufacturers can't get the basic functions to work properly with a hardwired connection, how the he77 are they going to work with software trying to control hardware via long distance.....Mike

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #70  
Nope, nada, not gonna happen..... Last time that I purchased a new vehicle (2019), the sales guy was really pushing for the next "package" up, the tech package.... of course, there are other packages that you have to get added in order to get that one. I told him I didn't want half of the stupid stuff already added.

Then proceeded to tell them that I wasn't willing to pay for the options that I didn't want, and were being 'forced' to purchase. When I mentioned that the option 'packages' only cost about 40% of what they were listed (MSRP), and that was all that I was willing to pay, the negotiations got serious.

My next ammunition is to then mention that they get 'dealer hold back' allotment, financing kickback, floorplan / stock allotment, and volume discount. Usually that is the time the salesman throws in the towel and I deal directly with the sales manager.

The MSRP was $36,200, I paid $28,400 plus had a class IV hitch, brake controller, and spray in bed liner added in at that final price.

Granted, this was all pre-covid and supply issues. Things have changed.