Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,571  
It is not a kubota flail shredder, it may be a Maschio, Del Morino
or Inobrece flail shredder built and sold in Europe.

The boom mounted orchard and vineyard flail shredders have the
European Union CEMA mandated slow moving implement road
warning placards on the rear of the shredder.

The above manufacturers build farm equipment that is meets or
exceeds the European Union CEMA safety require ments.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,572  
It is not a kubota flail shredder, it may be a Maschio, Del Morino
or Inobrece flail shredder built and sold in Europe.

The boom mounted orchard and vineyard flail shredders have the
warning placards on the rear of the shredder.

The above manufacturers build farm equipment that is meets or
exceeds the European Union CEMA safety require ments.

"It is not a kubota flail shredder, it may be a Maschio, Del Morino
or Inobrece flail shredder built and sold in Europe."

And .. you know that how?

"The boom mounted orchard and vineyard flail shredders have the
warning placards on the rear of the shredder. "

The brochure .. is from Kubota Canada.

I asked if anyone had any experience with theses machines.

Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,573  

He's a YouTube expert, his dad had a tow behind flail mower or something IIRC...

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,574  

Land Pride made flails last i checked a year or 2 ago & Kubota bought Land Pride. So there is a good chance it's a Land Pride flail.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,575  
Before Kubota bought out Landpride, the Land Pride Company was importing the Maschio Brand of flail mowers
that were painted in Land Pride colors. After the takeover they no longer purchased and imported the Maschio
brand of flail mowers and other implements.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,576  
He's a YouTube expert, his dad had a tow behind flail mower or something IIRC...
I have used and owned flail mowers for over four decades andI am not sure that makes me an expert about them.
My father had a Ford Jubilee that he used with a JD25A finish flail mower and two Mathews Company Lawn Genie Pickup Flail Mowers.
He traded in the smaller 36" Lawn Genie Pickup mower for a 48" Lawn Genie Pick Up Mower.
I purchased the 36" Lawn Genie Pick Up Mower from the same dealer and later traded it in towards the purchase of a Wheel Horse 244 Hydro Lawn Tractor.
I inherited his 48" inch cut Lawn Genie Pick Up Mower and I use it as needed.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,577  
No wonder it failed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roller bearings are ment to be filled completely with grease; oil lubricated bearings are
splash with the recommended oil for lubrication.

Whoever wrote that was terribly mistaken/miss-informed about greased high speed roller bearings and its cost you a flail mower.

I would start with a simple letter asking for a complete refund of your purchase and sending pictures as well.

If that does not work contacting the attorney general of the state this company does business in is the next step by detailing
what you have here, sending pictures etc., and then having the bearing failure which has cost you a flail mower and that you are seeking a full refund as the flail mower failed because of thier poorly written manual which you used to maintain it.

I’m sorry but what degree did you get and what metallurgical and machinery specialty do you have to say this?

First 540 or even 2000 rpm is considered a low speed application for bearings

Second the manual generally speaking is absolutely correct. Depending on design clearances and specific bearing tolerances more grease can definitely work against reliability. It is not uncommon in general industry, where bearings at this speed carry far greater loads, to only need grease every 8000 hours. In that case overgreasing (too much or too often) can and will result in overheating, premature grease breakdown, and bearing failure.

It may be that the OEM supplied a poor quality bearing or simply had a defective assembly. That does not mean the manual is incorrect based on anecdotal evidence from 40 years ago. You simply cannot say their manual or engineering is wrong based on a single case when (to my knowledge) you have not done a full inspection of the failed unit. And recommending against an OEM in a public forum is irresponsible ; hopefully no one who reads your post will follow your specific advice.

Based on that reasoning - I guess adding lead to the gas for my car will make it run better…it did in 1960!

It is obvious you have a huge wealth of knowledge and expertise around flail mowers. That does not make you an expert on all aspects of modern equipment, so please consider that when you post because so many (including me) do look to you for that advice.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,578  
Quite a difference in manuals;
mine;
3-5 pumps every 8 hours.

and another one of mine;
grease daily before use.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,579  
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,580  
This SKF bearing bible is an excellent guide for maintenance of bearings and determining why a bearing failed.
It is too large to upload to the forum so I am leaving a link for it.
My previous repair and rebuilding experience with surface and underground mining machinery and crop harvesting
equipment before that taught me a great deal.

www.skf.com/binaries/pub12/Images/0901d1968064c148-Bearing-failures---14219_2-EN_tcm_12-297619.pdf
An excellent reference - thanks for providing!

You will note that insufficient lubrication is only one of many many issues that could result in bearing failure. Using other skf references, the interval for relubrication for their modern roller and spherical roller bearings could extend into several thousands of hours. Shorter intervals are indicated based on any number of application and usage factors which are “based on application engineering principles”; i.e the OEM designer. 500 hours is in no way out of the question. But as the skf manual you linked clearly shows, faulty factory initial greasing, alignment, poor quality grease, final machinery misalignment, etc each could have resulted in premature bearing failures (as could excessive heat from overgreasing)

My comments are based on current mechanical, maintenance, and reliability engineering experience with large number of small and large rotating machines. The past 25 years have seen huge changes in what had been a relatively static field (mechanical machinery design) which have in many cases made past practices outdated or even deleterious.