Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment?

/ Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment? #11  
Question - is this for security purposes, in the event of theft ? or are you trying to keep tabs on your equipment as it is being used at jobsites by others / employees ... ?

my thought here (hobby farm) for security against theft, I'm going to go cheap and easy, with a hidden kill switch, and a secured tractor location.

probably doesn't fit your purpose with several machines, jobsites etc

/ Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment? #12  
I’ve used only temporary such as Tile which has very long battery life but not always in range.

A better one with Geo Fencing, Alerts and Signaling but must return to charger and subscription is Jiobit

Both have come through for me but neither ideal for permanent unattended use.

/ Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment? #13  
Question - is this for security purposes, in the event of theft ? or are you trying to keep tabs on your equipment as it is being used at jobsites by others / employees ... ?

my thought here (hobby farm) for security against theft, I'm going to go cheap and easy, with a hidden kill switch, and a secured tractor location.

probably doesn't fit your purpose with several machines, jobsites etc
While that is a good deterrent to lazy thieves, a battery powered cut off tool and a tow truck and they’re gone in a few minutes.

When I used to leave my IH2500b out on our tree farm for months at a time, I’d park it way back in the woods, take the rotor out of the distributor, the battery out of the compartment, and cover it with a tarp and hope for the best that a neighbor would notice a truck going through the property and call the cops. That’s about all I could hope for back then. I kinda expected it to be tampered with or stolen completely.

Only once was there a problem. The neighbor called the police to report headlights on on the tractor late at night. Police went out there and found the tractor sitting there with the headlights on and called me. Which would be kinda hard, since I had the battery at my house. I told them I’d come out. They left. I got there, and there was no battery in the tractor and the headlights were off.

My guess is someone was hiding in the woods. The cops left. They grabbed their battery before I showed up.

Or alien power source. You decide. :unsure:

/ Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment? #14  
I bought 4 trackers from SVR Tracking a few months ago. These were recommended by a friend who owns a rental yard so I figured it was worth a try. If I remember right each unit was around $180 each up front but that included coverage for 3 or so years and was $40 a year after that timeframe. I have had quirks with them, especially if you are outside of cellphone range but in town they are pretty spot on. Since I leave machines on job sites a lot I felt it was worth the investment. It’s not so much insurance replacing the machine if it were stollen, it’s the time waiting for a replacement that would really hurt.

View attachment 754912
I think that is part of the problem with getting a GPS today. Mine, which I have had for about 4 years, is still renewed service at $50 a year. When I bought it, it was about $160 for device and $100 for 2 years tracking. Then renews at $50 a year. The invoice shows it like a regular (current) price discounted to $50. When I went back to see how things have changed this year, it was $150 a year. 3 times more. $40 a year for service is excellent.

Last edited:
   / Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment? #15  
MossRoad - i'm going with the Aliens (that is weird)

I have a compact tractor, and an ATV quad. both are around the house and in the back. no access from the back due to creek, ravine, bear, and dense brush in that order. The shed, trees, dogs, and tight driveway to the back also helps. Any movement would go within 20 feet of 4 bedrooms, bath, kitchen, and neighbours. So far no issues.

Occasionally, after a long day, late snow plowing or other interruptions, I have had to go back out at 2 AM to park the tractor in the back and out of sight. Wife says just leave it till morning, to which I reply ... nope, I know too many people in the wrong places and some hold a grudge :)

/ Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment? #16  
I went with this

under $50 upfront $87 or so for the year, has internal battery good for 18 months trickle charges from my tractors 12 volt system. I installed under a console on the tractor so it is undetectable and works if someone removes the tractor battery. the service has geo fencing and alerts me when my tractor leaves the zone i drew on the app. this unit uses GPS and cell tower triangulation if GPS is blocked and will save position data until it comes back into cell range if it loses cell coverage. the unit reports local temp and battery charge.

/ Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment? #17  
I think that is part of the problem with getting a GPS today. Mine, which I have had for about 4 years, is still renewed service at $50 a year. When I bought it, it was about $160 for device and $100 for 2 years tracking. Then renews at $50 a year. The invoice shows it like a regular (current) price discounted to $50. When I went back to see how things have changed this year, it was $150 a year. 3 times more. $40 a year for service is excellent.
I’ve got a Garmin unit that’s pushing 10 years. It still has free updates.

/ Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment? #18  
I’ve got a Garmin unit that’s pushing 10 years. It still has free updates.
I think we are talking about different types of GPS unit here

/ Anyone have a recommendation for a GPS tracker for their equipment? #19  
I could use at least 6 of them
One consideration is whether you want the kind that transmits only when the vehicle is in motion or whether sitting or not.
Trackers that only transmit when the vehicle is moving offer the benefit of being very hard to locate using an electronic bug detector because it's hard to use one on a moving vehicle. So if you are really good at hiding them you may actually catch the thieves and recover your equipment.