The day the music died.

/ The day the music died. #992  
The Day The Music Died. For some of us who remember that day and the decade following, McLean presented the clearest explanation of what that life-altering event really meant.

There's a new documentary out about Don McLean. (Yes he's still with us). Some excerpts:

... its core reference to the “day the music died” turned the song into a history lesson for those born too late to remember that event as crushingly as McLean did. Even when the song first appeared, over a decade had passed since the crash, the equivalent to a thousand years in the fast-paced life of pop.
He found a role model in the Weavers, particularly in Pete Seeger, whom he befriended. The primacy of storytelling in the group’s songs, as well as their socio-cultural grounding, served as a template for certain aspects of American Pie.
... the song’s message couldn’t be more adult. “American Pie is the eulogy for a dream that didn’t take place,” says the song’s producer, Ed Freeman. “We were witness to the death of the American dream.”

[by late 1971 when the record was released] “The country was in some advanced state of psychic shock,” McLean says on camera. “All this bedlam and riots and burning cities.”

"the eulogy for a dream that didn’t take place." Yep. That says it all.

/ The day the music died. #993  
It's a long thread; hope I didn't post this before.

I remember hearing of the plane crash; I was at work, checking groceries in a Furr's Supermarket in Albuquerque New Mexico. While I thought it was tragic, I was a 100% country music fan, so it didn't take on the gravity of the loss of Patsy Cline. I was familiar with Buddy Holly, but didn't really know anything about Richie Valens or the Big Bopper.
Friend of mine from Iowa, (RIP) was actually at their last concert before the crash.

/ The day the music died. #994  
Manny Charleton original guitarist for Nazareth died July 5th. You know Hair of the Dog...Now your messin' with a son of a beech,

/ The day the music died. #995  
   / The day the music died. #996  

Olivia Newton-John Dies: 'Grease' Star & Hitmaking 'Physical' Singer Was 73

deadline.com.ico
Deadline.com|8 minutes ago
John, the hitmaking "Physical" and "I Honestly Love You" singer who went on to star in the beloved film musical Grease and later Xanadu, died at her Southern ...

Olivia Newton-John - latest news, songs, facts and videos | Smooth Radio

/ The day the music died. #997  
Re: the title of this thread. Last night we watched The Buddy Holly Story starring Gary Busey. I'd thought I'd seen it before but I guess not. It was so good, even my wife liked it. And Gary did all the singing himself.

While it's sad to see our rock stars pass away I'm still amazed that their music lives on 40-50 years later.

While typing this Tuesday Afternoon (Moody Blues) is on the TV Classic Rock station.

/ The day the music died. #998  
Re: the title of this thread. Last night we watched The Buddy Holly Story starring Gary Busey. I'd thought I'd seen it before but I guess not. It was so good, even my wife liked it. And Gary did all the singing himself.

While it's sad to see our rock stars pass away I'm still amazed that their music lives on 40-50 years later.

While typing this Tuesday Afternoon (Moody Blues) is on the TV Classic Rock station.
What I find amazing is that some of the hard core druggie rockers from decades ago are still going. Heck, Jagger still has to work to support his kids. "D

/ The day the music died. #999  
Judith Duram from The Seekers passed away over the weekend

/ The day the music died. #1,000  
What I find amazing is that some of the hard core druggie rockers from decades ago are still going. Heck, Jagger still has to work to support his kids. "D
We saw the Stones last October in Pittsburgh. RIP Charley Watts. They did a nice tribute to him, and as usual, it was a great show with an audience from about 9-90 years of age.