Some one wanted to know if we'd buy an EV tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Some one wanted to know if we'd buy an EV tractor
The thing being overlooked is that they can control the emissions from one power plant better than they can from hundreds or thousands of internal combustion engines.
true enough. But if everyone is going EV the power grid (the power transmission lines overhead) is hopelessly inadequate. Imagine the infrastructure upgrades needed if every farm with 100-Horse tractors needs a 1000 amp service and 480 volts for each tractor just to charge it overnight.

In my state, (because they refuse to spend the money needed to clear the roads properly) they shut the roads down in winter often enough that it is a real problem for commuters. people will die. The average EV commuter car won't keep passengers warm through a snow emergency.

And batteries The filth, the environmental destruction, the Carbon footprint of batteries.
It takes many years for an EV vehicle to actually have a lesser negative environental impact than its gas and diesel-fueled cousin (ps they are not fossil fuels). But right out off the sales lot, they are dirtier than Gas powered cars. They stay that way for years and if they are wrecked or break down and are irreparable they remain filthier than their gas cousins.

Last edited:
   / Some one wanted to know if we'd buy an EV tractor #32  
Relatively minor inconvenience when you consider the stop driving at all order issued by Mercedes on some of their vehicles recently.

I saw that, too. It's for corrosion affecting the power brake booster - not the brakes; just the booster - for 3 older models. All of them 10 to 15 years old. As near as I can tell, that no-drive recall is on some luxury SUVs, not commercial minivans. i.e. Sprinters.

Mercedes seems to have a whole different outlook on recalls & upgrades from other manufacturers.

/ Some one wanted to know if we'd buy an EV tractor #33  
Change can be good, when was the last time you seen someone walk into a Home Depot and purchase a corded hand drill?
The cordless drills over heat pretty quick if you are drilling many holes or anything of real size/thickness. I use my corded drills just as often as my cordless. I also tend to use air tools more than battery tools. I like technology but it has to work for me. I don't have a cell phone because there is coverage here, I could get 1 bar up at the cattle pasture but why go 1/2 mile to make a call.
The early gas and electric cars had the same problem, if one lived out side the city there was no electric or gas stations nearby. Just remember electric car were on the market along side gas and steam cars in the early years. Just like steam tech I don't really want to wait hours to have my tools or vehicles to be ready use.

FYI I worked in the tech industries for most of my life, can work, design and repair about anything, write code, etc. Because of that I see some real problems with current EV trends, that I don't track for me.

/ Some one wanted to know if we'd buy an EV tractor #34  
Good for 4 hours continuous service on a charge? Doesn't mention how long to charge, but is 4 hours enough to justify for most uses?

It does not say what the charge rate is, but the battery is listed as 60 kWh. If it uses typical battery-powered car charge rates of 7.2-9.6 kW it would be about 6-9 hours of charging for the estimated 4 hours of use. It could be faster but given that the 7.2-9.6 kW charge rate takes a 40-50 amp 240 volt circuit and most construction sites around here with utility power have a 100 amp temp panel, using a higher-rate charger would likely require a diesel generator to charge the skid loader. Most of the times I have seen a skid loader at a work site it works all day, you would need to be able to swap out the battery like on an electric forklift if you wanted to use this all day or have multiple skid loaders so that one can be used while two others are on the charger.

/ Some one wanted to know if we'd buy an EV tractor #35  
I guess the other question is what is the life expectancy of the batteries and replacement cost. Tractor tend to have a long life 20 to 30 years is very common. If the batteries last 5-10 years (or less) like most current EV batteries and cost more than the tractor is worth what is the point? Cordless tools don't last like their plug in counter part and batteries need replacing every few years. I don't replace things just because there is new one out there. My newest car is a 2006 (bought new) and still drive my 97 Dakota (also bought new). If I have to get an EV tractor will I get 4000+ hours without major failure of the drive train or batteries? Pretty common hours in tractors and heavy equipment. HST was slow (and still is) to be accepted because of unknown life expectancy, I have 4500 hours on a BX and wore out everything (or broke), however the engine and HST have never failed me to date. Well except when I busted the motor mounts pushing trees, just installed some heavier ones for less than $40. Will the OEM allow you fix it or does it HAVE to go to dealer, deal breaker for me. If I can't fix it buying the right tools ( if needed) I won't have it long. Hauling and paying dealer rates will add up to purchase price in short order.

/ Some one wanted to know if we'd buy an EV tractor #36  
How long will one run my whole house PTO generator? I’ve been without power as long as 8 days.
Just recharge it off the generator. It should never run out of juice! 🤣

Just recharge it off the generator. It should never run out of juice! 🤣
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~PERPETUAL MOTION~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Charge the EV tractor once. Hook a generator to the PTO and never have to charge the tractor again GENIUS.~!!!!
I',m getting one of those the very day after I get my eternal youth and good looks pills.

/ Some one wanted to know if we'd buy an EV tractor #38  
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~PERPETUAL MOTION~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Charge the EV tractor once. Hook a generator to the PTO and never have to charge the tractor again GENIUS.~!!!!
I',m getting one of those the very day after I get my eternal youth and good looks pills.
Once in a while come up with a winner! 😉

Let me know where you find those pills.

Let me know where you find those pills.
Some where there is some dummy with a thousand dollars worth of neodymium-iron-boron magnets trying to build a Free energy generator who will see this post and get hooked.

As an aside Neodymium-iron-boron is a major component of the stealth coating. I don't know how it is charged though

/ Some one wanted to know if we'd buy an EV tractor #40  
... (requiring ~100 HP) will require at least a megawatt-hour of battery,...
1/3 of tractors sold are less than 40 hp: Agricultural Tractors Market Analysis, Size, Share | Industry Growth (2022 - 27) (I paste the wrong URL before)
1658509335201.png

I would guess that most of these smaller tractors are run for only a coupe hours at a time and not at WOT. I know I may have days where I mow for 4 hours, but mostly I move a bale or two and park it. There is plenty of time to recharge even on a 15 A circuit.

It's not all or nothing. For possibly most of us, the benefits of reduced maintainance and increased reliability will outweight the shorter run time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.