Latest grab by auto manufactures

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #241  
Spent the day observing a new driver in one of our trucks. Gave her the Bol and asked if she needed directions. She was confident she could get there with her GPS, so off we went.

First it didn’t update us that traffic was backed up on I78. I was alerted to it by the warning signs in the construction areas.
She made no mention of anything except to say “wow look everyone seems to be taking 22 today”
Fortunately I was able to direct her to the 22 ramp in time. Turned the CB on and confirmed there was a back up due to a truck fire
Proceeded toward our destination and for the last turn the GPS told her to turn right when she should have turned left. At this point I was curious because of this conversation here, so I left her go left. It took us about 2 miles north says we were there beside an old run down barn. I was curious why her phone didn't say something about going the wrong way but apparently they get tied together somehow and share information.
After turning around we went back to the intersection she turned at and 2 miles the other way to our destination.
Shee followed my instruction to our second drop but as it seems with most who seem to be addicted to their gizmos she wasn't really watching for signs and everything she did seemed to be last min but in reality if she ad read all road signs there was sufficient time to operate smoothly.
When we got back to the terminal I gave her today's load and BOL and watched her type it into her phone. Start point to drop, the Google map was unable to find a route between the start point and Denver pa location
So I printed out some directions for her.
I guess I will be riding with her now for a few days to try and get her in the habit of reading all road signs, not just when your GPS or phone ding and tell you to.
Hubby will have to come home and sign off on this one before we let her go solo.

By the way I started this post yesterday and wasn't able to finish it till now. That would sure be a long wait for directions if my atlas and maps were not in my bag

Janet

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #242  
So if heated seats/steering wheels, advice features, etc... Are going subscription, does that mean you are essentially renting the equipment that makes that feature work?

I haven't seen this in the discussion so forgive me if I'm way out of touch or missed this, but I subscribe to cable TV and Internet thru Xfinity, and if my service is interrupted or my cable box/modem is damaged or malfunctioning, I receive a new one free of charge.

If the feature you subscribe to fails, then is it on the vehicle manufacturer to ensure the product you are renting is working properly? That's how my equipment rental yard works... They maintain the equipment.

Maybe I'm out of touch, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Unless there is a specific that claims you must ensure the feature works before you subscribe, but how would you know? I can see this turning into a nightmare for the car companies. And that's fine because if I buy a vehicle with a feature I expect it to work without a subscription. Ha

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #243  
If the feature you subscribe to fails, then is it on the vehicle manufacturer to ensure the product you are renting is working properly? That's how my equipment rental yard works... They maintain the equipment.
You wish. The excuse will be, "The feature is working but the connection to turn it on is experiencing connectivity issues, please try again later"

And that's fine because if I buy a vehicle with a feature I expect it to work without a subscription.
That was the point of my question regarding the issue of manufacturers letting you know its a subscription not an outright purchase. Sorta like Sirius radio on my truck when I bought it a couple years ago. Didn't know it was installed, didn't pay for it but it worked for six months or so, I'd listen to it once in awhile but wasn't impressed so when it stopped working it didn't bother me at all. Then I started getting phone calls and letters trying to get me to sign up. If it was something I liked I would have been ticked when it stopped as I paid for it ..........Mike

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #244  
Sirius radio is an advanced radio so I get that being a subscription... But watch them eventually charge to have the speakers turn on. Just wanted to bring up a thought I didn't see mentioned.. And of course the blame would be passed on to anything that's not in their control.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #245  
You wish. The excuse will be, "The feature is working but the connection to turn it on is experiencing connectivity issues, please try again later"

That was the point of my question regarding the issue of manufacturers letting you know its a subscription not an outright purchase. Sorta like Sirius radio on my truck when I bought it a couple years ago. Didn't know it was installed, didn't pay for it but it worked for six months or so, I'd listen to it once in awhile but wasn't impressed so when it stopped working it didn't bother me at all. Then I started getting phone calls and letters trying to get me to sign up. If it was something I liked I would have been ticked when it stopped as I paid for it ..........Mike
Exactly. You are not "renting the equipment", you're "subscribing to a service". The equipment still works fine. Just like your cell phone if you stop paying your carrier; the phone works fine, you just can't connect to the subscribed service.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #246  
I would imagine it won't be too long before some whiz-kid comes out with a dongle that plugs into the diagnostic port that restores the features. Better turn off automatic updates while they're at it to prevent the ECM wars.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #247  
You can bet that there is some serious encryption going on when the services are activated and the parts are serialized and paired.
My wife's 2017 Hyundai Accent, came with free Sirius Radio for a year.
We never tuned it on, never considered it a feature of benefit, but got junk mail every other week, for two following years asking us to sign on. :)

Zero Motorcycles is heavily invested in the subscription business model. My brain is just too old to figure out how this business model works. For instance, if Zero goes under as a company, does everyone lose the enhancements?

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #248  
As I sit here with our new driver, waiting to be unloaded. I just wanted to update. Her GPS tried to take us off the highway and down a tight country road that is not for Trucks pulling 53ft trailers. Ge that atlas was spot on again.

Janet

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #249  
As I sit here with our new driver, waiting to be unloaded. I just wanted to update. Her GPS tried to take us off the highway and down a tight country road that is not for Trucks pulling 53ft trailers. Ge that atlas was spot on again.

Janet
OK we get it….you think an atlas and paper map is better than up to the second live traffic alerts and electronic data from a GPS.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #250  
OK we get it….you think an atlas and paper map is better than up to the second live traffic alerts and electronic data from a GPS.
Actually I think that she said that it is wise to use both, each having both a strength and a weakness, but more importantly is to use the third... your brain.;)