Field cars

/ Field cars #1  

wolc123

Veteran Member
I have always liked having field cars around, and I had one for most of the 22 years that I have owned the family farm. That probably goes back to when my grandad rode me around in his Ford model A “jalopi” , before I learned to walk. He had chains on the back tires for traction, an open cab, and a wood box on the back.

As I get older, I like them more for tools than toys. My own first was an old Plymouth Volari 2-door, that I got for $100. It had a carbureted slant-6 engine and automatic transmission. That and the next one were pure toys.

I had it when I met and first started dating my wife. We had lots of good times in it. So much so that we picked the song by that name, by Dean Martin, for our wedding. The name means “to fly” in Italian. The last year I had it, all the brakes were not working, which was interesting and challenging but I don’t miss that part as much as I do the big back seat.

My next one was a Ford Mustang with a fuel injected 5.0 liter V-8 and a standard transmission. It started better than the Volari, but it was a lot lighter and not as good at busting thru hedgerows. It was great for doing donuts out in the open fields. Each of those cars were only useful in the summers, when the fields were good and dry, and I didn’t use them for any farming tasks.

My next one was an old 4-cylinder Chevy tracker, that my wife had bought new, but was no longer road worthy. I thought I had something there that would be good for some farm tasks, but I beat it up too bad the first winter, running around on the frozen ground. The linkage failed on the shifter and I had to use a vice grip on the cable to get it in and out of drive and reverse, with great difficulty. I didn’t feel like fixing that, so I junked it.

There was a 5 year gap after that, unfortunately when our kids were learning to drive. We had to teach them out on the roads with our regular vehicles, just like the city folks do. I got to admit that I was a little scared the first time I took our oldest daughter out on the public road. I wished I would have been been able to teach her the basics out in the field first. Thankfully, her and her 10 month younger sister both did ok.

Our newest field car arrived yesterday. I am going to try and baby this one a little. It is an all wheel drive, 4-door Dodge Durango. The sweetcorn, in the field out back, is just starting to put on ears; so it arrived just in the nick of time. I will be picking that every day soon and it beats the heck out of driving a slow, rough-riding tractor back there.

It has a great suspension and takes the ditches real good. I will be trapping that corn for nussance coons and it will work well for checking those traps each morning. It will also work great for transporting my guns and shooting supply’s to the range at the back of the farm.

I like a field vehicle a lot better than an atv for tasks like those for a few reasons, the first being that they are safer. When I was in my early 20’s, my dad got 4-wheeler and it didn’t take me long to roll it over onto myself as I tried climbing a hill that was a little too steep. Fortunately, the ground was soft and I walked away with no broken bones and no visible damage to the machine.

Besides being safer, they are also much cheaper. I traded my old truck camper, that I was hoping to get $1000 for, for the last one. You can’t get much of an atv for that.

Other advantages are the enclosed cab - just like the tractor cab proponents always argue. It would suck to get caught picking corn or back on the range in a rainstorm, and an open atv. It is also nice to use that closed cab to get downwind of deer, before walking into the brush and wooded areas to begin a hunt. They can smell you driving around them a lot easier in an open atv.
6F2AF3F5-20F7-413E-AE1E-DE0152BEFC8D.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Field cars #2  
We drive pickup trucks. Something like that wouldn't work for us at all. It would be okay for driving hands to the fields for work but any other tasks it would be useless for. Nice farm car though.

/ Field cars #3  
Beater wit a heater! 1/2 the price of a side by side and much more comfy. :)

Hey I like that Durango. They are beasts.
My neighbor has a loaded Tahoe parked in same spot for a few months. I may have to stop by and ask him about it.

/ Field cars #4  
I agree I love to having field cars, I got my first one as a toy it didn't have breaks so it didn't last long lol ... my second one I am trying to make it last. I enjoy it I like going for joy ride around the property or showing my property to friends with it its a blast to scare the heck out of them lol. I would love to get my hand on a 4x4 at that price...

1658663556517.png

1658663582264.png

/ Field cars
We drive pickup trucks. Something like that wouldn't work for us at all. It would be okay for driving hands to the fields for work but any other tasks it would be useless for. Nice farm car though.
I almost had a 4wd pickup truck for a field car during the 5 year gap. The frame got rusted out on my 2000 Silverado, to the point that it wouldn’t pass state inspection. I was all set to pull the tags and move it to the field, but my father in law wanted it as a snowplow truck up at his retirement home in the mountains.

He had the frame welded up and mounted a plow on it (6) years ago and it’s still going strong, and still registered to drive on the road.

/ Field cars #6  
I almost had a 4wd pickup truck for a field car during the 5 year gap. The frame got rusted out on my 2000 Silverado, to the point that it wouldn’t pass state inspection. I was all set to pull the tags and move it to the field, but my father in law wanted it as a snowplow truck up at his retirement home in the mountains.

He had the frame welded up and mounted a plow on it (6) years ago and it’s still going strong, and still registered to drive on the road.
While reading your thread I was thinking of all of the rusted out 4WD trucks around here. I had a Ranger like that for a while... it was still inspected but the frame was getting bad so when I blew a rear brake line I pulled it off the road as I was tired of working on it.
For the rest of the summer it was great for hauling water up to the garden or just generally running around. I still was paying for insurance though as I was running it up and down the road to get from my house to the field. The next year I sold it to somebody who pulled the bed off, welded up the frame, fixed what it needed and still uses it for his hunting truck.

/ Field cars
While reading your thread I was thinking of all of the rusted out 4WD trucks around here. I had a Ranger like that for a while... it was still inspected but the frame was getting bad so when I blew a rear brake line I pulled it off the road as I was tired of working on it.
For the rest of the summer it was great for hauling water up to the garden or just generally running around. I still was paying for insurance though as I was running it up and down the road to get from my house to the field. The next year I sold it to somebody who pulled the bed off, welded up the frame, fixed what it needed and still uses it for his hunting truck.
That’s what my father in law did with my old 3/4 to Chevy, standers cab 4x4. It is still registered and now passes inspection with no issue. I still used it for hunting in the fall up at his place and he uses it year round.

The air conditioner just quit on it this spring. It still worked good October, and I used it, on an 83 degree day, to haul deer carcass I had shot in the morning over to a butcher in town who had a big walk in cooler.

His brother in law had a 3/4 ton, 2wd, extended cab Chevy that I traded from him and now use here when I need a truck on the road. That ac also needed fixing this year.

/ Field cars #8  
A jeep would be a perfect cheap side by side.

/ Field cars #9  
We always had an old Willys pickup truck.

/ Field cars #10  
We used to see a number of old Willys pickups in orchards around Wenatchee area. I bought one of them and did a little fixing and drove it for years.