What have you hit with your mower lately?

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #31  
That's like a snowblower hitting yellow spots followed by dog poop.
When it's frozen though, what a great way to send the dog poop out into the woods.

I learned to run a single bottom plow on my field and went too deep, so that my disc harrow wouldn't smooth it over. It wintered over and then the grass grew back so every summer I knock it down until I get a box blade.
My soil can best be described as "small stones with a little dirt mixed in". After 4 years of mowing that my blades are about shot, this winter I'm taking it apart, needle scaling and painting the underside, and replacing the blades and stump jumper.

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #32  
I was able to run down one of the damned gophers that dig holes in my yard with my BX Saturday. If the neighbors were watching, they must have thought I was going crazy they way I had to dive to catch the little bugger.
Before I was done mowing, a Red Tailed hawk spied the carcass and grabbed it.

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #33  
Outfit I contracted for wanted to know if I could mow their undeveloped lots.
They hadnt been mowed for a long time. Most had brush and weeds over my head.
First casualty was a telephone pedestal. Shrapnel and little bitty pieces of wire everywhere.
Rocks, boards, concrete chunks.
A few cast iron water cutoff stands.
A groundhog.
A manhole cover.

/ What have you hit with your mower lately?
You guys are really making me feel better about my mowing experiences. What's a few basketball size rocks and logging cable compared to telephone boxes and manhole covers :p

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #35  
Rotary cut around 6 acres today. The only unwelcome surprises in the grass was old stumps. Many were rotted enough that the rotary cutter knocked them out of the ground. I threw them in the loader bucket to dump in the burn pile.

Last edited:
   / What have you hit with your mower lately? #36  
I found part of a 1/2' steel cable on Sunday. Mowing a field I hadn't done before. It was just laying out in the tall grass.

20220724_080540.jpg
I got it shut down before the cable fully wrapped tight against the spindle, but it was still a bear to get out. Took me half an hour.

20220724_082629.jpg

Of course I got the "I didn't know that was out there." From the property owner.

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #37  
Back to my push mower days, I had been mowing an area for a while when one day I hit an iron pipe.

Bent the mower shaft, yep, mower to the dump. The pipe....have no idea why it suddenly decided to break through the ground. It was over six feet long. I think it was used for water. I found a few of its friends along various fence lines we reclaimed over the years, and by some old well pumps stacked by an outbuilding.

Even in areas you think are safe, stuff happens.

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #38  
Back to my push mower days, I had been mowing an area for a while when one day I hit an iron pipe.

Bent the mower shaft, yep, mower to the dump. The pipe....have no idea why it suddenly decided to break through the ground. It was over six feet long. I think it was used for water. I found a few of its friends along various fence lines we reclaimed over the years, and by some old well pumps stacked by an outbuilding.

Even in areas you think are safe, stuff happens.
A few months back I was walking through a section of yard and stubbed my foot on what I thought was a root from a tree that we had removed 10 years ago and had the stump ground out. With closer inspection found it was a piece of metal sticking out of the ground that was high enough to puncture a vehicle tire, or maybe even a tractor tire in some cases. That piece ended up being the bottom 18 inches of a T post. Post was put their before my time and I am over 50.

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #39  
I use my rider to move boats and trailers around the property..
I had taken the 2” ball off to hook up the lawn sweeper..
When I put the ball back on, I didn’t tighten the nut and washer, just finger tightened, I’ll get it later..
2weeks later I was mowing and BAM... I hit “something” that took off like a rocket thru the air.!!
For the life of me, I couldn’t think of what it might be.??
I ended up hitting “that thing” about 3-4 more times as I was making my way around the property..
I never did see what it was..
until I went to hook up a boat trailer..
It was a dam good thing it didn’t hit any windshields or the Mrs.!!!

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #40  
A rock, and good my coffee cup after it was knocked out of my cupholder. A set of new blades right before. Ugh.