Kubota still offering 0 percent financing

/ Kubota still offering 0 percent financing
New stock is now a total crapshoot. There is a Branson dealer up town and his front lot is empty other than some used stuff.

/ Kubota still offering 0 percent financing #152  
Low interest rates have been there for a long time, they didn't create inflation, they were preventing a recession.
I have to disagree with you on this one Torvy. Low interest rates are what caused all the bubbles including the housing market that are now bursting. The bidding wars which led to the inflated housing prices was a direct result of interest rates that were kept too low for too long. The Fed is to blame for this.

Last edited:
   / Kubota still offering 0 percent financing #153  
The key is, not to finance something for 5 years that will be worth ZERO when it’s paid off. IMO, must be worth the interest paid and then some to have been worth financing.
:unsure:....or the money you would have paid cash for it is worth more in an investment in that 5 years. As you said, there is not any places right now that is a great investment. That could soon change but as it stands on the date of this response there isn't. So it is unlikely that the resale value of a compact tractor is going to retain it's sale price value within the first couple of years of ownership. The only reason you were able to flip your tractor and make a profit is because of supply problems. Once that goes away you will see resale values come back down to where they ought to be. It would usually take about 10 years in a normal inflationary period to get back what you paid for a piece of equipment.

/ Kubota still offering 0 percent financing #154  
The problem for most people is they look at a day, a month or even a year and get scared away from investing. If a loan is for 60-84 months, I would invest the cash now. Low prices are a good thing when you are buying investments. By the time the loan is complete, that investment will have earned much more than i paid for loan interest.

Of course, if someone is too old for longer term investments, that is a whole other kettle of fish.
Equities can be a slippery slope Torvy.

/ Kubota still offering 0 percent financing #155  
I have to disagree with you on this one Torvy. Low interest rates are what caused all the bubbles including the housing market that are now bursting. The bidding wars which led to the inflated housing prices was a direct result of interest rates that were kept too low for too long. The Fed is to blame for this.

:unsure: The only reason you were able to flip your tractor and make a profit is because of supply problems. Once that goes away you will see resale values come back down to where they ought to be.

Equities can be a slippery slope Torvy.

Not sure that all of these apply across all the country. Housing interest rates around here are back up to about where they were 5 years ago, but that is still well under where they were 10 or more years ago. Yet I agree that we are still seeing a bubble in house purchases as well as house prices - probably because people don't see a better investment - certainly not one that is more secure. From that I conclude that economic security is at least equal to low interest as a driver for the housing bubble.

On supply....Well, that's a media fantasy and entirely regional. We don't have much of it here in the central USA - a little, but not much - and just have not seen much out of the ordinary in supply or distribution. It is made way too much of by people who live in areas affected, but not noticed by others. I blame the media for that and for similar exaggerations. Although some exaggeration is simply due to the huge size of our country and it covering so much area that there are bound to be areas where economies vary. Climates too, for that matter.

Equities.... well, that depends on the equity. A slippery slope? Too general.
It is easy to find stable equities - or gambles - either one. Depends on what a person wants.

rScotty

/ Kubota still offering 0 percent financing #156  
Equities.... well, that depends on the equity. A slippery slope? Too general.
It is easy to find stable equities - or gambles - either one. Depends on what a person wants.
Torvy has been implying for years now that he can easily go into equities and make a return that outperforms his debt obligations with financing. Where I take issue with that is it is not a guarantee. He says it like it is some guaranteed sure thing that will happen and you and I Scotty both know that is not fact. What he doesn't mention is the very real possibility that his equity holdings don't outperform his finance obligations and he is left holding the bag and then some.

/ Kubota still offering 0 percent financing #157  
:unsure:....or the money you would have paid cash for it is worth more in an investment in that 5 years. As you said, there is not any places right now that is a great investment. That could soon change but as it stands on the date of this response there isn't. So it is unlikely that the resale value of a compact tractor is going to retain it's sale price value within the first couple of years of ownership. The only reason you were able to flip your tractor and make a profit is because of supply problems. Once that goes away you will see resale values come back down to where they ought to be. It would usually take about 10 years in a normal inflationary period to get back what you paid for a piece of equipment.
I Think I would have had to take 5K less if demand was “normal”. I knew it was a 50K tractor when I bought it. No idea why it was so underpriced. Name brand, well liked Tractors are pretty darn good at retaining value compared to cars/trucks.
Anyway, I always try not to overpay and try not to sell when prices are down. When you have 15-20 pieces of equipment (or much more) in a business, you have to be disciplined to buy low/sell high.

/ Kubota still offering 0 percent financing #158  
Not implying anything. Look at the data. 50 year average return is 10%. Inflation over the same period is 3%. This is despite recessions, wars,etc. It is also the market average. This literally means that you can buy a mutual fund that is indexed to the S&P and have a reasonable expectation that over time you will gain, on average, 7% over inflation. So, as long as your interest rate paid is less than 7%, you will gain more than you will pay. (The 125 year average is just under 10%)

The mistake most amateur investors make is that they look in the short term and freak out. You will have low stretches, but in an 84 month loan term, your odds of losing that bet are miniscule. If you have a halfway decent investment advisor, your returns over that time will be more like 15-30%. Is it possible to lose? Sure. It is more likely that any number of worse things will happen. If I take out a 0% (or even 2.99%) loan, I am absolutely certain I will beat that over the term of the loan. If I don't beat it, it would be due to something so cataclysmic that I wouldn't worry about paying it off. I'm talking significant societal breakdown and/or WWIII, or alien invasions, etc.

/ Kubota still offering 0 percent financing #159  
100% false. The 2008 problem was caused by government policies that pushed lenders to make loans that were bad risks. That goes back to the Community Reinvestment Act. Those loans were a house of cards, not because rates were low, but because the loans were made to people who could not afford them. Regulators made banks take unnecessary risks in the name of fairness. That increase in money available to loan drove up prices unnaturally. The people who were given high risk loans were simultaneously less equipped to handle swings in the economy and less inclined to fulfill those obligations. When the cycle started downward, they could not or would not pay. The contraction happened because banks had to eat those losses and literally had less money to loan (supply), which raised rates and made prices plummet. Like many government ideas, they mean well but have no understanding of how those ideas actually work in the real world.

/ Kubota still offering 0 percent financing #160  
Yep. Low interest rates are not “predatory” loans UNLESS they come with unrealistic terms, penalties, etc.
Otherwise, low interest rates, coupled with sensible payment terms & regulations benefit everyone rich or poor.