Male Half of the snowblower driveline stuck on PTO spline

/ Male Half of the snowblower driveline stuck on PTO spline #1  

jayhawk238

Silver Member
Tractor
2004 Kubota L5030
I have a front mount frame underneath my Kubota L5030 for my Kubota snowblower. This spring when I took the blower off and mounted the FEL the Male half of PTO driveline from the blower would not come off. I could pull the locking collar on the yoke back and see the ball bearings but it would not come off. I tried the hammer trick, WD-40 and nothing. Mechanic friend stopped over today and after trying different pry bars and such we put a chain through the u-joint and placed it over the trailer hitch on his jeep and he gently pulled ahead as I pulled the locking collar back. We did get it to move about an inch or so but no more. We were a little leery about pulling to hard. It came forward enough that it is past the "grove" where the ball bearings go when locked on. The Kubota number on the frame is L2180-1 and is for both the L2182 & L2183 Mid PTO Kits. Got a bad feeling I will have to replace the male half of the driveline and the output shaft at the tune of $670+ shipping. :mad:
What else can I try to remove the driveline?

/ Male Half of the snowblower driveline stuck on PTO spline #2  
I would try heat. I have a Milwaukee commercial heat gun. Used it successfully several times to remove stuck items. Heat the core of the collar - get it to move that inch forward/back. Keep working it. Sounds like you have to overcome a certain degree of rust/corrosion.

/ Male Half of the snowblower driveline stuck on PTO spline #3  
Is it stuck on the tractor or the blower?

Have you tried Kroil or something other than WD?

There's a recipe on here in a few dozen posts for a mix of acetone and transmission fluid that many people claim to be among the best penetrants.

/ Male Half of the snowblower driveline stuck on PTO spline #4  
Try BP Blaster or some penetrating oil. Soak it several times over the day. I have a 4-ton hydraulic spreader that I have used to break stuff free, better control than a chain. Just be careful on pulling on the spline. Probably not much holding it in place, just a few snap rings and bearings.

/ Male Half of the snowblower driveline stuck on PTO spline #5  
Try BP Blaster or some penetrating oil. Soak it several times over the day. I have a 4-ton hydraulic spreader that I have used to break stuff free, better control than a chain. Just be careful on pulling on the spline. Probably not much holding it in place, just a few snap rings and bearings.
Yep...WD-40 doesn't work well loosening up parts...

/ Male Half of the snowblower driveline stuck on PTO spline #6  
Post pictures of the stuck piece. Can you take appart the lock collar, remove the balls and spring? Then you should just be dealing with the friction of the splines shaft. You can really heat things then but be careful of seals.

/ Male Half of the snowblower driveline stuck on PTO spline #7  
WD 40 is worthless as a penetrant, PBlaster is better but the best is acetone mixed with red atf. in a spray bottle.

Next time, lubricate the stub splines with grease and the collar with oil or PB, neither are meant to run dry.

/ Male Half of the snowblower driveline stuck on PTO spline #8  
Anti seize goes on everything for me. After working in a Paper Mill for 38 years watching the results of the Mill mechanics using copper anti-seize vs Construction mechanics using nothing was like night and day.

/ Male Half of the snowblower driveline stuck on PTO spline #9  
If it will move an inch you can get it off with patient applications of penetrants and moving it back and forth. Good Luck

/ Male Half of the snowblower driveline stuck on PTO spline #10  
U can also try a fifteen minute soak with Naval Jelly (phosphoric acid). This will tend to dissolve rust and increase clearance between the male/female spline.