Log Cabin Fireplace/chimney advice needed.

/ Log Cabin Fireplace/chimney advice needed. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I built a small log cabin kit on my property almost 20 years ago. Built it myself along with friends and family. We did not have the money to have a fireplace put it. We now have the money to do it and finally found a contractor to do the job. He has been utterly unreliable. He was contracted in July of 2021 to finish the job before last Christmas. By Christmas he had not even started. It sounds like he had some legitimate family issues so we kept hanging on. New deadline was April 1. He had had brick and cinder block delivered and had expanded the previous footing but then nothing else happened for weeks. He never communicated with us. Rarely answered texts and calls We finally fired him after 8 months of frustration. Waiting for what's left of our down payment which was half the total cost, up front.

This is in a rural area. There are no local contractors who want a job like this. In fact, there are no contractors at all who will do it. Most won't answer phone calls at all. I understand they are building new homes like crazy and a project like this is a waste of time.

Now I have a footing and several thousand dollars worth of brick on the ground and don't know what to do.

So I'm trying to work out in my head how much of this I can do myself including hiring masons. What follows are some questions to help me sort this out:

1. The original plan was to cut the wall where the fireplace goes from floor to roof. In other words, from the inside you'd see the brick chimney all the way to the ceiling. I am hesitant to take this approach if I'm going to do the carpentry side of things myself. I have seen pictures of log cabins where you see the fireplace and brick up to the mantle but from there up it is the original log walls. That means the chimney is almost entirely on the outside and it means I'd only have to cut the hole the size of the fireplace rather than all the way up through the ceiling. The logs are 6" thick so the firebox would have to be set back nearly that full 6". The chimney would be entirely external and would only go through the roof at the eaves. Is this possible? The original cabin plans do not show a lot of detail for the fireplace but it looks like the chimney is entirely external on the plans. If so it seems like a much more approachable job for me to do myself.

2. If this is possible and I did the demo work of opening up the wall for the fireplace and the eave for the chimney it means that I would have to contract with the masons myself. Is this possible? If so what do I need to know involving that interaction? None of the fireplace components have been purchased yet. In other words, flue pipes, metal flue cap, ash clean out door, fire brick etc. Would I need to order those things or would the masons do that part?

3. How much do the masons do? I understand that they would build the fireplace and chimney but would they do stuff like building the base of the hearth? Or would I need to be there to do that while they were there?

4. The contractor we fired suggested that masons are hard to deal with. Is this generally true or just him making excuses. Traditionally most masons around here tended to be black which is no problem but from what I hear almost all are Hispanic now. No problem with that _except_ I do not speak English. If that is the case would that be a deal breaker if I'm trying to act as my own contractor?

Any and all advice much appreciated.

/ Log Cabin Fireplace/chimney advice needed. #2  
Is it brick or blocks? It seems like the latter would be a lot easier to work with but still hard to get it right. Personally, I would prefer to deal with somebody who doesn't speak English rather than try to do it myself... IF he gives good references and you are able to check them out. A picture is worth 1000 words when it comes to communicating with him... again, assuming that he is good in the first place.

Based on my limited experience masons are indeed difficult to deal with, mostly because they are in high demand and if one door closes another opens.

/ Log Cabin Fireplace/chimney advice needed.
I have no plans to attempt the fireplace and chimney myself. That's way beyond me. I would only do the opening for it, the finish carpentry and roof flashing. Not sure if the masons do the flashing or not. From the amount of block he had delivered it looks like the bulk of the chimney was going to be made of cinder block with a brick facing.

/ Log Cabin Fireplace/chimney advice needed. #4  
He must have planned some type of a liner. Stainless steel perhaps? I don't see how he could put in a new chimney without doing the flashing. If you are patient I'm sure that you can find somebody. It could take some time though. I'm still waiting for a call back on a foundation quote... which I asked for in 2016. That's what get's me POed. If you don't want the work just say so. Don't make promises you have no intention of keeping.

/ Log Cabin Fireplace/chimney advice needed. #5  
@N80 - Not trying to cause a big debate & I don't know the laws for residential contracts in SC... but check into them; I deal with them on a daily basis as a contractor.

He was contracted in July of 2021 to finish the job before last Christmas. By Christmas he had not even started.
If you had a legal contract (again depending on state laws)... or better yet he gave you a contract to sign that does not meet the state requirement, then he breached it (or broke the law) & you should be able to recoup most of if not all of your deposit... even if he has to take back the materials at his loss... This contractor is not your friend, nor looking out for you, make sure you are not treating him as such...

We deal with masons / tile / stone contractors all the time, there are great ones & not so great ones... I don't think they are any harder to deal with than any other trade... no even with a language barrier.

If this was my personal project.. I might look at it a different way based on your description... First I would get every cent back from the original contractor including the materials delivered; he can have them back... they are doing you no good & may not even be correct based on who you hire to do the job (how they would do the job) & especially because they do you no good uninstalled, (they are just raw materials not a partially finished project). Granted you may have to pay for the footing he installed (hopefully correctly), but I would even question that being he has not fulfilled his contract on two separate occasions. Again, I hope you have a sign contract...

Now if this was a retro fit wood burning fireplace I was installing on a pre-existing cabin I would probably look at prebuilt wood burning firebox design (maybe even with a blower to recoup some of the heat back into the building when needed), that can use zero clearance stove pipe as its chimney. I would cut the opening as you mentioned, install the fire box & run the stove pipe up the exterior of the cabin. Then because it is zero clearance pipe I would frame in the exterior pipe to look like a traditional chimney & face it with stone or brick veneer. I would finish the interior to match. You wind up with the traditional look you want, with the added benefit of recouping heat, a stove pipe chimney (easy to clean), & all probably for less then a full masonry chimney but with very similar or the same look...

We did have a written contract but there were no stipulations for breech. Do not really want to pursue legal action. However, if he does not come pick up his stuff and return what is left of our down payment I will.

My logic for keeping the brick and block is that the brick was chosen specifically by my wife and we hope it will get used and the block I can and will use for other stuff if the fireplace never gets done or if the new mason does not need it.

For whatever reason.....romantic notions I guess....we really want a 'real' masonry fireplace, top to bottom. I understand all the downsides and all the increased costs. Our home is almost 100 years old and has traditional fireplaces. We love them. We have had inserts in other homes that we were not as fond of.

Plus, in 100 years or so, when the cabin is long gone, I want there to be a brick chimney standing there where it was. ;-)

Update: Had to file in small claims court. Took the local deputy months to serve papers on him but finally served them to the guy's dad. That counts here. Court date to be set soon but he's still not communicating with us. If he fails to show up for court we automatically "win" but if no one can find him I'm not sure what value "winning" has. The county court says that will put leans on his property but I have no idea what that means either.

We found another contractor. Well respected locally. Licensed. Good references. We have mutual acquaintances. We have his address and the address/site of his business. He will have to hire a mason. Says he knows an excellent one who specializes in fireplaces especially on high end custom homes. The mason has agreed to do the job.

But we just got the estimate today. $30,000. He says he has to tear out the footing the other guy put in and start over.

That's twice what the other guy was going to charge.....but of course he was a criminal. And apparently incompetent.

I'll be honest. I can afford to do this right now. But I'm not sure I'm going to. We've wanted a fireplace for 20 years but $30,000 just seems beyond outrageous. Especially when we've already purchased most of the materials.

/ Log Cabin Fireplace/chimney advice needed. #8  
There are some really nice fireplace inserts - wood burning - that can be put in with a double or triple wall piping concealed by brick (real or faux) and which look great. We looked at one for a second home which would take 24" logs- maybe larger, and had blowers. Some of that may be within your DIY skill set. Ask for a catalog - may at least give you some ideas. There are several companies doing this - this is one we looked at.

BTW - they also install.

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: N80
   / Log Cabin Fireplace/chimney advice needed. #9  
Winning in small claims court is the easy part, getting you money is another thing. You will have to figure out what he owns that you can place a lien on and you "may" get paid when he sells. If he has a job with a paycheck you can garnish wages but he'll quit and you start over. Odd are he is better at that game then you will be.

• Good Post
Reactions: N80
   / Log Cabin Fireplace/chimney advice needed. #10  
If your state requires contractor bonds, you can attach that and hes out of business Until he satisfies problem. I had a company refuse to complete job or return monies in California. He told me to sue him. Instead i attached his bond, and state shut his business license. He sent me my money and i released bond. Way easier than small claims court.