Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #154,062  
84F and "Fair" @ 10:30, HI 90F. Supposedly headed up to a high of around 90F, with thunderstorms likely later this afternoon and evening.

Did find a good can of Spectracide foaming wasp spray yesterday and gave the nest a good shot inside early, but did not get any welding done up in the shop yesterday as there were still some Yellowjackets out and buzzing around the lights. Gave it a second shot last night as I was closing up, plus dosed the outside entry with Apicide.

Have been using starting fluid to take them out in the air, but think I'm now out of that ... unless there is another can down here at the house. Could use brake cleaner as well, but don't want to be spraying that if I'm going to be welding (toxic fumes)

Got squash and pumpkin plants in pots out back all watered yesterday.

Started to do some string trimming of the weeds in the southeast planting bed under the maple trees where we planted all the hosta a couple years ago. Before I started:

IMG_1920 copy.jpg

Woman was sure that the deer had gotten all the hosta, nope ... it looks to be mostly still there.

The leaves I blew onto it last fall have helped to suppress the weed growth somewhat and retain moisture. Once I get the weeds trimmed down, I'll spray the areas where the hosta isn't. Hopefully that will keep the weeds from popping back up for a while, as the hosta takes over.

Mixed up some glyphosate for the hand pump sprayer and promptly found out that there was some goo in the tank that was causing it to clog. A good reason to rinse out the sprayer after every use and maybe use a strainer when filling the tank. Grabbed a disposable paint strainer from down in the basement and brought it up to the garage, tank will have to be emptied, rinsed out, and the solution strained when it's put back in the tank ... :(

Some compost/manure screening done, but knocked off on that as we had a fairly good breeze coming out of the southwest ... which was blowing the dust all over me as I dumped each bucket onto the screen.

Water Buffalo emptied and awaiting a refill. All the plants in the second circle watered again, plus some of some the rhododendrons and azaleas in the northeast planting bed + the black scallop ajugas.

16 bucketloads of screened compost/manure mix hauled down and placed on the west side of the expanded garden area:

IMG_1921 copy.jpg

That will need to be tilled in today before it rains.

Agenda for today:

Dole out this week's meds.

Check Yellowjacket situation up at the shop.

Refill hopper feeder.

The tilling previously mentioned.

Take another shot at locating the small chain.

Pull up that pipe I hit on the east side of the expanded garden area.

Dump some more used cat litter down groundhog holes.

Connect up long garden hose and water in the used cat litter.

More compost/manure screening

Maybe some welding on the floor/deck of the B2910.

Hope everyone has an enjoyable, productive, and safe Thursday ... (y)

/ Good morning!!!! #154,064  
Good morning to all! Low of 61°, going up to 85°, good chance of T-storms. There is a good amount of cloud cover and I can 'smell' the humidity, so hopefully we will get some rain.

Today's agenda should include getting some plants in the raised beds. Need to pick up some elbows for the drip irrigation, coming up short 3 needed to complete. Just the planting may take up most of the day.

Need to also pick up at least 10 bags of mulch, but that will require a trip into town.... may wait until the "list" for that trip gets longer.

Not much else going on.

Everyone have a great day!

/ Good morning!!!! #154,065  
Good Morning!!!! 80F @ 5:15AM. Plentiful sunshine. High 103F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph.

Thanks, Billy. More than the usual aches and pains this morning, but not as bad as yesterday. I guess like Luther, I don't heal as quickly as in my younger days. Just noticed a little blister on my big toe from yesterday's work; supposed to go hiking this weekend, too. Know any quick fixes?

The cheapest vodka I could find online, Don, is about $43/gallon. Vinegar is less expensive. But at what concentration are they applied? I've had very good results with 3% glyphosate. TSC sells their Farmworks 41% concentrate for $60/gallon, and if my math is correct, that works out to about $4.40/gallon at a 3% concentration level.

I've been noticing some heavy equipment moving dirt at a site across the canyon the past couple of days. Yesterday around noon I heard a pair of sirens that stopped there, so they probably sparked a fire. Can't find any mention of it in the news this morning, though. I can't imagine doing that kind of work this time of year without at least a water truck on hand, just in case, but money's tight and I guess people still take chances.

Off to San Simeon, CA today for a long weekend. Highs will be in the low 70s, lows in the upper 50s. I packed a pair of shorts, but I don't think they'll get much use. I also packed a down vest, and I hope I don't need that, either!

Hang in there, gang, Friday's comin'!
I've been lucky not to get a blister in years, but used to put a piece of moleskin over sensitive areas...sticks on well and absorbs the friction. Quality socks are the ticket. I splurge on these. Have fun on your hike.

I've had good luck with just a 2% concentration of 41% gly...maybe it takes a little longer, but the only thing I've seen survive is white clover, which recedes, but comes back.

/ Good morning!!!! #154,066  
65°F and no rain

Dr Reported Sophie had some eye improvement, new meds, back in 30 days.

Gonna play tourists with the kids today. Drive down and check out the lava flows.

Prayers for all
Be safe
Have a great day

/ Good morning!!!! #154,067  
Good afternoon! It’s 90 and humid. Likely another in the shade day.

yesterday was productive. Got the spare Craftsman garden tractor my wife bought this spring working. It charges, it drives and stops, and it actually mows well. Little odd getting used to the 6 speed trans, especially the choice of ratios. But will make a good spare. Now to get the other spare out and drive the demons out of it 🤦‍♂️

It is a good thing the 1st tractor we bought as a “spare” has been incredibly reliable. The tractor that it was to be the “spare” for cracked a cylinder wall. It is also the oldest of the bunch but is low hours. The PO only used it to push snow off his driveway.

Rebuilt 2 Amal carbs for one of my BSA’s. They had decided to stick intermittently. And I know they were never over tightened. Seems the slides decided to distort 🤦‍♂️. I never was a fan of the monoblock carb, hand fitting the slides to the bodies didn’t help my opinion. But they look good after several baths in the ultrasonic cleaner.

The insurance situation was suddenly settled last evening. My wife received an email from the adjuster saying they would pay the full amount less deductible. And they will issue a check instead of demanding direct deposit. We had not heard a word from them since 7-26. They are still gonna be in the rear view mirror.

Well, better get back to it. Plenty to do around here. And looks like some rain may be on the way

Everyone stay safe out there

/ Good morning!!!! #154,068  

The insurance situation was suddenly settled last evening. My wife received an email from the adjuster saying they would pay the full amount less deductible. And they will issue a check instead of demanding direct deposit. We had not heard a word from them since 7-26. They are still gonna be in the rear view mirror.

Awesome news. Good for you.

/ Good morning!!!! #154,069  
Appreciate all the generator insights posted. Sure wish I had bought one a few years ago before this inflation.

The pickup of the Westinghouse generator got moved till Monday. I stayed home today for the 12-6 window. Different shipper picking it up than what Amazon first had.

92°